1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First attempt to aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by kabriolet, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I did have BGA in my tank at one stage it was at the substrate level, blocked out the morning sunlight light that was hitting tank removed what BGA I could at each WC and months later none or very very little BGA. No chemicals used

kabriolet likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. kabriolet

kabriolet Aspiring Aquascaper

I tried to hover it out yesterday with the water change. Some came out, some still remained. There's no direct sunlight reaching the aquarium. I'll try to do a daily change of the water now where I will keep trying to remove some parts of it. Might need to think about buying an extra pump. Seems to have started in a zone where the flow is lower.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

kabriolet

Its not only the pump its the water flow direction including the filter. The large rocks at the RH end are not helping.

Where do you have the pump now and its direction plus, the filter outlet direction and is it powerful enough for your tank size. Regular filter maintenance helps to maintain a good strong flow.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. kabriolet

After this post I've moved the filter to the right side of the aquarium, in the middle. That seems to provide a better flow. Last week I also had to clean the impeller, since it started losing some power.[​IMG]

mohdaves and Culprit3 like this.
  5. kabriolet

And as from Saturday we added some live stock: 10 orange shrimps and 10 neon tetra's 'gold'. The shrimps started cleaning straight away. The neons need some more time to adjust. But in the end they seem to enjoy their new home.

[​IMG][​IMG]

keithgh and John Whatmough like this.
  6. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

I am somebody not the best at rock placement can’t help thinking though your rocks would have been better away from the glass, but I think your tank is looking well, I bet you find it easier without a hood for maintainence. You mentioned disturbance of substrate maybe contributing to algae,always do a small Water change when making plant changes as well as your regular ones, something I learned when reading up on ammonia spikes,love those orange shrimps btw

kabriolet likes this.
  7. kabriolet

Thanks. I wanted a combination of rocks and wood, but didn't think through how the water should flow when I started assembling the scape. Will be more in my mind when I'll do another one in the future.

I like the looks without the hood and yes, it makes maintenance easier. The new lighting also gave a boost to the plants. The lighting in the kit wasn't sufficient and didn't go far enough to the sides.

I need to follow up on the water values with the fish inside, to see how they influence the balance. Will continue to do regular water changes.

Thanks for the compliment and constructive criticism. And yes, I like the shrimps as well.

The neon tetra's seem to shy away from the light, they really start coming out of their hiding places when the lights go out. I don't know if I should lower the brightness of the lights to give them more comfort (but that might have an impact on the plant growth), or if they will get used to it in the end.

John Whatmough likes this.
  8. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

You find with some of the tetras neons included they come from naturally tea coloured tannined waters in the wild and naturally more at home in subdued light ,if your plants grow so as to create areas were they feel less insecure they will come out in the open more. Felix Wagner as tank think in Journals were the replication of the Amazon shows the natural habitat. I suppose it’s a time thing also the longer they are in your aquarium the bolder they get. Probably best leave them to get use to it rather than do anything drastic with your light as it seems ok for the plants

kabriolet likes this.
  9. kabriolet

That explains a lot.

10. kabriolet

Maybe I could start with a more dim light and build up gradually so they get used to it bit by bit.

11. keithgh

kabriolet
    In the mean time the problem will continue. My remedy would remove those 1/2 end rock/s immediately as they are not required and are not doing any thing in your aquascape. Now you will have a greater flow, even more water in your tank, also you can now keep that area clean by doing regular gravel cleaning.
    Just checking it is advisable to do 2x33% water changes twice a week, completely strip the filter down and clean every thing monthly.

Neons yes that is the conditions in the wild but today its been many generations since most neon's if not all have been caught wild.
    Some Neons can be very shy in small numbers build the school up to maximum as soon as possible. You have plenty of plant top cover to protect them and it will thicken up.

kabriolet likes this.
  12. kabriolet

I'm not sure if I can remove the rocks without messing everything up. The rocks are supporting the second piece of driftwood which contains the Java fern. Taking the rocks away could make the driftwood tip over, but I'll check what's possible. I'm just a bit scared the solution could lead to more problems.

I've been doing water changes at least once a week at 40-50% until the fish came. I'll try to do two changes a week at 33% now.

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

kabriolet

Sorry for any confusion I am referring to the rocks at the very end of the tank not the rock supporting the piece of DW.

Keep the water changes up? Filtration how often is the filter cleaned.

Culprit3 likes this.
  14. kabriolet

I clean the filter about once a month

keithgh likes this.