1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Finding the balance!!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by adipnayak, Mar 21, 2010.

1. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

Hey there how do you guys find the balance for CO2 input. When i pump in a lot of co2 i get great plant growth but the fish i.e. white mollies start gasping on the surface. I've tried leaving an airstone going when i am pumping in high co2 too but it hasnt worked.
    How do you guys do it?

2. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Adip,

you have to try and balance so that it will not effect your fishes. I had to do a trail and error and comes to an eventual balance both for the plants and the fishes. It was not easy. Now I can sit back and enjoy both the flora and fauna.^:)^

3. akkornteon

akkornteon New Member

there are some solutions to this:

1. buy an electronic ph-meter to cooperate an electromagnetic valve which will regulate the CO2 flow in your tank.
    2. find on the internet the pH-KH-CO2 chart, measure your KH, pH, see which CO2 rates are safe for your fish and regulate the CO2 input.

In the 2nd case that there's no electronic regulator remember to check the CO2 levels before the lights turn on as during the night plants consume Oxygen and produce Carbon Dioxide. It means that you may need to reduce a bit your CO2 input, or use an airpump some hours during the night.

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

When you see this reduce it by 1 or 2 bubble. Reduce slowly, reduce it by one bubble per day. by the way do you have other fish? because mollies is a surface dweller so they will spend most of their time in the surface.

Alternatively you can try drop checker, remember to use kH = 4 solution instead of tank water and aim for green color. I normally aim from green-yellow color :)

You can use the kH/pH only if you are 100% sure that your tank pH and kH is 100% due to CO2. Forget about using this table if you have ADA soil (reduce pH), Gex soil (reduce pH), wood (reduce pH), seiryu rock (increase kH), and many others

5. akkornteon

akkornteon New Member

:-s totally right about this. Forgot to mention!