1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Hardscape?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Padres1234, May 16, 2017.

1. Padres1234

Padres1234 New Member

I went ahead and mode those suggested changes. The only thing I couldn't change was one of the rocks you list as number 3 in the back because it's actually a much larger rock supporting the rock on top of it.

I have to say I am really liking this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Padres
    [​IMG]

Only a few more very moves to go and it "should" all be ready to set up in the main tank.

[​IMG]
    The small rock front LH push up and between rock and DW.
    Middle LH end move towards DW just touching if possible.
    Rocks 1&2 added and place them so the 5 rocks in that area are touching. (use rocks similar to the three front centre) if possible.

Keith:cat::cat:

Padres1234 likes this.
  3. Padres1234

Padres1234 New Member

Here is my attempt at those changes. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. keithgh

Padres
    [​IMG]
    Not that far off from finishing. You have done a very good job with those rocks. I have added 11 small rocks to give it a more natural appeal not rocks carefully positioned. Two are positioned to stop slippage and the remainder back LH.
    With all those small rocks you can sprinkle some substrate over them to eliminate the just sitting on top of the substrate.

I coloured the back in Black to eliminate any distractions. You can use the Vinyl book cover its cheap easy to use and can be removed easily.

5. Padres1234

Padres1234 New Member

I tried to replicate those changes as best as I could however some spaces are quite small (like .5 - 1 cm) but I tried to fit them in there anyways. Alternatively I could also put some plants there, partially covering one area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Padres looking very good, well done, only one final job to be done. At the front of the tank level off all the substrate. All you have to do is move a little from the right end across to the left, and level the height of the substrate at the front ,this will give you a very pleasing finish.

What is your opinion re the black backing?

Padres1234 likes this.
  7. Padres1234

Padres1234 New Member

It looks great now and I am very happy with the look! I am going to go buy some black vinyl his weekend. I think it looks much better that way. Are you experienced with plants at all Keith? I was searching on http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm and came up with a list of plants.

I was thinking about Vallisneria, Riccia, Green Cabomba, and some sword plants. I am thinking Vallisneria in the back middle with the Green Cabomba on the back right and back left. Anubias and other swords on and around the drift wood pieces. Maybe some Riccia on the DW too.

keithgh likes this.
  8. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

Sword species will most likely get too large for the tank.

You can look into bucephalandra too. Theres a lot of different leaf varieties and they have a rhizome like anubias.

9. Padres1234

Padres1234 New Member

Oh ok, how about St. Repens and some moss for the DW? I think both of those would fit quite nicely.

10. keithgh

Padres

Plants are not my speciality I prefer to leave them to the members who know about them

Re Amazon Swords when young the larger varieties are only suitable for larger tanks.
    With the plants once you have selected them post a plan of where you would like to grow them. Your choices are limited to your tank size, lighting and High or Low tech and your substrate.
    You could consider opening another topic in Aquatic Plants where members can see your plant requests a lot easier.

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Larger pieces of wood would help you a great deal. It is just undersized. The second thing I notice is how uniform your stones are placed. This tendency to space stones evenly is very common and not a good thing to do if you want something to look natural. consider how things get to where they are in a river. rocks tumble until they bump and pile up near larger pieces, wood drifts down the current until getting tangled in other wood or up against rocks. Basically the hardscape begins to pile upon itself, stones arrange by size large ones, to smaller, to smaller. Consider getting some gravel to match our river stones once you have them placed and disperse it around the base of the hardscape areas for detail.