1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Fabulous Decay, 54l

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by letsgodisco, Sep 26, 2013.

1. letsgodisco

letsgodisco New Member

This was pretty amazing, also the large number of shares on Xylema facebook (from where Oliver reposted it) -- I am quite humbled by the lot of positive feedback I am receiving for this. After all, this is the second planted aquarium I made, ever :)

ShadowMac likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. letsgodisco

letsgodisco New Member

thanks Garuf,
    I am actually not sure if a wider tank would work better with this, even through I understand why you find it top-heavy. I admit this is an unusual shape for an aquarium, the whole image -- the impression at least -- is almost rectangular on the photo. But it looks perfectly okay if you are looking at it live, and the short width helps to focus completely on the main theme. But I see your point, nevertheless.

3. letsgodisco

letsgodisco New Member

ah I see now :)
    so, a little off-talk here:
    to be fair, I never made a link in the incriminated post between plants and bacteria in the filter -- this was your reading of a statement that said there was very little space for bacteria to live in a tank depicted. What I meant was simply that in such a setup, that is lacking substrate and only features a thin layer of quasi-sterile sand as gravel, it is only the filter where bacteria can really settle, which for this reason must be very strong. While, on the other hand, having a fair amount of aquasoil gives you a huge buffer from this perspective, and you do not need to oversize your filtering to that extent.
    As to your general point in your essay; you are perfectly right; having forums just like this one, contributes -- by their very nature and of course the active help of informed members -- qualitatively and quantitatively more to the knowledge of prospective and current hobbyists to pick up what they need to know, than any blog may ever do. I always tell people asking me how to start the hobby to start reading one of these. And your team here is, as far as I can see, making a tremendous job in fulfilling this mission.
    But as to the blogoshpere in general -- you should probably pay less attention and spare your arousal for more important things :) ; blog are there primarily to entertain their owners (unless they are commercial, which is certainly not true in my case). You can't realistically expect people, including me, not to share personal opinions on their blogs, unless they pass a certain scientific merit :D Also, while I clearly have some knowledge gaps in certain areas, I think I'd pass for a aquarist driver license test if it ever came to it :D :D
    As to the matter of hardscape-only tanks, I personally would not advise a friend to start with a hardscape-only tank with the attached image in their mind, and this relates to such previous experience. At the same time, I am absolutely sure that you're perfectly right, and great hardcape-only tanks can be maintained successfully, but its better if people start with the right expectations --- I am thinking of some great Amazon biotopes with dimmed light and blackish water for example. But I am REALLY doubtful how expensively some of those famous, crystal-clear ADG-like beautiful tanks can be maintained, in terms of equipment and maintenance time. I simply don't think they are for the average hobbyist.
    Finally, I am really sorry if I pissed you up with that post, I hope some of the clarifications above may help to put your mind at ease :)
    </off>

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Well I'm glad it is your blog at least and not someone copying your work and taking credit for it. You deserve the credit for a scape well done.

In regards to your blog post (*disclaimer* I didn't read it:whistle:, but from what have gleaned from the postings), I can say I have a friend who has had a hard time with a gravel and fish tank. I think it is more the experience of the hobbyist and an understanding of what is needed to run an efficient aquarium. I think plants help with the process. To be honest I had many more difficulties in the planted tank realm at first than I ever did in the gravel only aquarium. I know some people who think you have to thoroughly clean a tank every time...I'm talking sterilizing the substrate and filter. They cycle the tank every time they do that. Many don't know there are even beneficial bacteria and processes taking place in the tank.

I also think hobbyists over chemical filter and under biofilter. No need for chemical media, just a good volume of biomedia and it will take care of many of the troubles folks have.

In short the big gap is helping people understand what is needed for what they want to do and lining that up with their commitment to maintenance and budget.

Keep sharing and keep blogging...oh and point some folks over to ASW :cool:

5. letsgodisco

letsgodisco New Member

:) -- I guess this is just blown up for some reason -- I just tried to argue that the kind of looks you see with those beautiful white-gravel driftwood-only ADG scapes are very difficult reproduce and maintain at home. Some of you guys also seem to agree, see: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/keeping-white-sand-white.8453/ I might be even wrong. The problem is that these scapes look so magnificently simple for beginners :D :D

I guess some kind of chemical filtering (i.e. Purigen) is necessary to keep water crystal clear in such a scape where driftwoods leaks, for several months, significant colour. Obviously one should not sterilise anything in a tank while running it. Anyway -- this is really off here, this was just a simple opinion I posted, that seemed to upset Garuf for some reason.

I'll make sure to point inquiries towards ASW, as they come :D

AH and one more thing: I don't think these things can ever be "stolen" --- it is not really the pictures that matter, but the actual thing you are looking at at home, each day after work. This can not possibly taken away from you.