1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Experience with different soils?

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by BigAL777, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

I found there are a lot of different companies claim their "aquasoil" is the best. ADA aquasoil is most likely the best, but I stumbled upon a site that sells multiple companies' soil, however they don't really tell what is in it. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences if they've used these products:
    -U.P. Aqua aqua sand, and shrimp sand
    -Mr. Aqua aquarium soil
    -Tropica aquarium soil
    -Azoo aquarium soil
    -Dennerle aquarium soil

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have not used any of them. Just ADA aquasoil. It is competitively priced with the others.

What you want to look for is if the it is a soil with good CEC.

3. BigAL777

I can't really find that information, all I could find is what it's supposed to do and the fact that it will lower ph.
    This hobby is very difficult to find specific information for products such as PAR and CEC.

Zeus likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

BigAL

Naturally that is what they would say.

Regardless of the product or company as them for any technical information.

I think you would find the ADA soils are widely used many members of ASW.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. BigAL777

I use ADA, I have no complaints. I'm not asking if something is better than ADA, I just want to know if anyone has tried other brands and what their experience has been.
    Example: I read that Tom Barr likes U.P. Aqua because it holds it's shape longer than ADA and it doesn't cloud the water when introduced to a tank. That doesn't describe how well the plants take to it, but it's some information that someone who had used the product can share vs reading the label.
    Jurijs uses tropica aquasoil, maybe he prefers that brand over ADA for some reason?
    I think seachem has a humate soil, that will soften water, I don't know how long it lasts or if it even has anything in it to help plant growth.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. keithgh

BigAL

Regardless of the Substrates you will find that many like it and others cannot even grow a weed.

The Substrate is only one part in growing plants, eg I was using my standard 1-3mm river stones in my tanks using the same plant they would grow totally different in each tank, different lighting and ferts.

It comes down to knowing your product and working with it to achieve the best results.

7. ShadowMac

Their soil is called aquasolum, its part of their aquavitro line.

if the soil alters KH I would anticipate it has some level of CEC. most of these soils are probably very similar, other than what you mentioned wits the breakdown, although I don't have this problem with aquasoil.

Its not a bad question to ask.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

[​IMG]
    Description

aquasolum™ is a lightweight, porous substrate derived from humate. Humate contains most of the known trace elements necessary for development of plant life because in its original state, it was plant life. Organic humate enhances root development and promotes chelation, a process by which insoluble matter is gradually processed for plant utilization. As a result, humate contains valuable plant nutritional substances not found in chemical fertilizers. Additionally, its tendency to lower pH and soften water makes it ideal for keeping freshwater shrimp.

Directions
    Although it is pre-washed, it may become dusty in transit and require rinsing before use to remove any residual dust. To determine the number of bags required for your aquarium, please note that each bag (2 kg, 4.4 lbs) occupies a volume of approximately 1,630 cm3 (100 cu. in.). To determine your desired volume multiply tank width by length by desired depth.

TIPS: When adding water to aquarium, fill slowly to avoid disturbing aquasolum™ bed. Place a bowl in the aquarium and add water directly to the bowl, allowing water to overflow softly on to the substrate bed. Initial cloudiness is normal. To remove cloudiness, use mechanical filtration (such as filter floss). Use Clarity® to accelerate clearing.

9. BigAL777

There's no online retailers for that product. The first time I saw it was on the back cover of an AGA magazine.

10. keithgh

11. ShadowMac

Aquavitro line is not sold online. Only available through local retailers.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

12. keithgh

Shawn

This is what I was going by.
    If you're located to far from our store or just want your order shipped to your door choose your preferred ship method

13. BigAL777

Aquavitro is crazy difficult to get.
    What's the difference between the three types of ADA soil other than the color?

14. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I haven't used many different soils, some have more nutrients, others less. Some have the ammonia peak in the beginning, others not.
    I can say that ADA and tropica work the best for me. Other brands Soil like JBL and Dennerle will work too.
    I know that Fluval Wave and Knott Soil have less nutrients but also will not have that ammonia spike at the beginning.
    You can achieve good results with almost any product there, because it's only one piece of the puzzle like @keithgh mentioned.

BigAL777, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  15. Jurijs mit JS

Oh and I forgot to mention, I do not prefer tropica over ADA, it is just sometimes more convenient for me in terms of "just in time delivery" specially for client works

BigAL777, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  16. keithgh

Jurijs long time no see, I think you have summed it up for BigAL now.

Keith :cat::cat:

17. BigAL777

Hey Jurijs! Glad to see ya back! Thanks so much for your information. I've been watching some of your recent builds on Facebook and noticed you've been using the tropica brand, so I didn't realize it was difficult to get ADA in Germany. There's only one place in America to get ADA soil. I found on substratesource.com several different brands in one place, which was nice, and free shipping on soils over $35.

18. BigAL777

Found this in my LFS:
    [​IMG]
    Back:
    [​IMG]

GaiaQuascape likes this.
  19. kingkoopa

kingkoopa New Member

Aquaforestaquarium.com located in california

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

20. Jurijs mit JS

Thanks for following me on social media :)
    It's not difficult to get ADA in Germany at all, its sold in many retail and online shops and I can get it from wholesale too.
    I most often use Tropica plants and I get them delivered 1 day before or exact the day I need them.
    And sometimes when I run out ADA Soil its more convenient to get Soil from Tropica together with plants instead of making a second order from ADA. Hope this makes sense now.

Cheers Keith ;)

keithgh likes this.