1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

EVERYTHING is dying ):

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Malina, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Malina

Malina New Member

So I had a rocky start to my freshwater shrimp tank, but after a while I got the hang of it. Now, seemingly out of the blue, EVERYTHING is dying.

I started out (once I smoothed out my issues) with 2 Ghost Shrimp, 2 Amano's, 2 Red Cherries, and 2 Orange Bs. I also have two Cory Cats in the tank, which is a planted ten gallon with filter and heater.
    First, one of the Ghost Shrimp died in the molting process, so I started adding Iodide to the tank, three times a day (because I have a carbon filter). Everything is good, we even had little Amano babies running around, so I put a sponge over my filter so there were no more losses in the baby department.
    SO about a week ago, the remaining Ghost shrimp disappeared, and since the tank is WELL planted, I had a hard time finding its body. Then, BOTH of my Orange Bs.... mysteriously vanished. Then one of my Red Cherry Shrimp (which may still be in the tank, but I have no real way of knowing right now).
    Yesterday I took out every plant and though I found the dead Ghost Shrimp, there is no evidence that I even HAD Orange Bs in the tank. No bodies, no shells, nothing. Just gone.
    I did a HUGE water change (about 60%), added Prime, tested the water, and all my levels were good. PH was slightly low, but it's always been that way without any problems.
    This morning I wake up to a dead Amano, which have been my most durable shrimp yet. All the babies are dead and gone. All I have now is one Amano, and one Red Cherry Shrimp (to my knowledge). Tested the water this morning and the parameters were still the exact same as yesterday. Nitrite and Nitrates are zero, I put in a tab to raise the PH .5, so......
    THE ONLY change that I have made since this tragedy has begun is lower the heater temp to about 72-75. I had it set before at 80 degrees, although the water was always about room temp. Could that really be killing my shrimp off like that? I don't have any clue what's going on..

EDIT: Not only this, but the shrimp have been.... not moving. Not interested in food, just kind of sitting there. This is also after I lowered the temperature, and before everything started dying and disappearing. They are still doing this.

** I apologize if this is in the wrong location, I'm just panicking right now. I do not want to lose any more of my shrimp.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello Malina,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. A couple things right off the bat.

1) Are you adding Iodide or Iodine? Second...it doesn't really matter because you don't need to. Its a shrimp keeping myth. There are plenty of nutrients within shrimp food.

2)What pH is good? these are relative terms and it is best to use a value.

3)Amano's do not have babies in freshwater. They can hatch eggs, but the larvae need brackish or salt water to survive.

4) could you share some details about your tank. What substrate do you have? What plants? Filter? Light? as much as possible. Do you have a picture of it you could post?

5) playing with the pH by using chemicals is a dangerous game for your critters. These compounds work by adding or removing things from the water...these "things" play a role in osmoregulation and sudden changes can result in deaths.

6) 76-78 F is plenty warm.

7)What is your maintenance schedule like? How often do you change the water or clean the filter?

3. Malina

Malina New Member

If it wasn't Amano babies, then I have NO idea what shrimp had babies, haha. I guess it had to be the Cherry shrimp then. O: They were definitely shrimp, it wasn't anything weird.

It's Iodide. Everything that I have done has been recommended by (as horrible as this sounds) Bill from my local Petco. He's always been extremely knowledgable about my care in the tank, EXCEPT for the Iodide, which was recommended elsewhere.

My PH this morning and yesterday when I did my water tests was at 6.0, and I was told I should keep it closer to 7.0 if possible. I only used the tablets initially when I started off because I had a DRAMATIC plummet in PH, moreso as an emergency measure. The PH has always (after that point) been at a steady 6.0, and now that I'm terrified, I was trying to cover all my bases, just in case. :c

I'll take a picture of the tank in just a moment, as I'll be honest with you, the only plants that I can identify are: my marimo ball, a banana plant, and a Anubia. All the plants that are in the tank now have been in the tank since I started it though, so I have not added anything new to the equation OTHER than the sponge to cover the filter, and that was at least a month ago.
    Substrate: Flourite by Seachem
    Filter: Whisper 10i (The filter that I used previously was the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 which was basically sloshing the shrimp all over the place, so I thought something a little more gentle would help)
    Heater is also Aqueon

I try to do a 20-30% water change once every week, or week and a half. I was doing two weeks before, but was told that it wasn't enough, so I tried to increase.

4. Malina

Malina New Member

Here is the tank.

Attached Files:

5. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Also, do any of the products you use have Cu+ (ionic coppoer) in them? Purer bred shrimp tend to be sensitive to Cu+.

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. ShadowMac

Okay, thanks for the info.

Tank looks good. Plants look fine.

When you change the water, do you use water from your tap or some type of bottled or RO water? I would say you really just need to use water from your tap. If you are getting drops in pH, it could be very soft water. Adding a GH booster at the time of water change could help.

I've seen the iodide recommendation...and in the interest of full disclosure had also dosed it a couple times when I first started keeping shrimp years ago. Its not needed, and can be harmful if overdosed.

Are you running activated carbon in your filter? Its normally not needed, but since something could be happening causing shrimp deaths I'd recommend adding some until things settle down or adding new stuff if already in there.

The shrimp you have are generally not difficult. Red cherry shrimp are very hardy, amanos are too. The Bee shrimp...it depends. If they are a wild type then probably hardy, but not as much as the others. Ghost shrimp are tough too. A little side note, it is usually a good idea to not keep shrimp of the same genus together as they could interbreed and you'd get a mutt that doesn't look as nice. Up to you...but it could happen. Red cherry shrimp are neocaridinas and the amanos and bees are Caridina. Here is a slick compatibility chart

For now I'd add activated carbon, do water changes 3-4 times a week for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Keep the temp at 76-78 F. You should add some aeration to the tank as well to ensure you are getting enough oxygen in there. Or at least make sure you are getting a nice surface ripple from the filter.

7. Malina

Malina New Member

I'm not entirely sure, however, the last time I used one (aside from today) was such a long time ago, I feel like it wouldn't have taken several months for my tank to start showing this many problems.

8. ShadowMac

agreed, are you adding any other additives to the tank? what are your ph tabs? I'm guessing maybe just sodium bicarbonate tabs.

9. Malina

Malina New Member

@ShadowMac

When I do my water changes I always use tap, and I try to match the temperature as close to my tank as I can.
    Do you think that I could be overdosing them on the Iodide? To be honest, it seems like I started having these problems when I started dosing more frequently...... I'll stop dosing it now. Completely.

I'll look into the activated carbon today.

I read about the uh... "mixed" babies that I could end up with, haha. I don't really mind. This is the first shrimp tank I've ever kept, so honestly I was just excited to know that the shrimp were doing well enough to breed at all. Since they're all pretty much dead, I don't see it much as an issue now. :/

Thank you for the advice!
    Typically the filter has a nice little flow going on, rustling up the plants underneath it, but I have noticed that lately it does seemed to be flowing a little slower. I'll kind of fiddle around with it after I eat.

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. Malina

Malina New Member

Other than the Iodide and Prime (when I do my water changes), I used a water clarifier once or twice, but again, it was before I started having any issues at all. The PH tabs are Correct PH 7.0 by Tetra.

11. ShadowMac

I think it might be the iodide. Easy to over dose that since it would accumulate. Water changes, filter cleaning, and some carbon should get you through it.

Once everything is back to being settled, remove the carbon. A little fertilizer for your plants might be a good idea. Some seachem flourish should cover it.

12. Malina

Malina New Member

Thank you so much for everything. You have no idea how much this means to me (although I have a feeling you do).
    I'll keep you guys updated with the changes. :)
    @ShadowMac

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  13. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Malina

Sorry to say this but good frequent water changes is a must for shrimps

I would like to add do a complete filter cleaning and change your water changes to two 30-40% twice a week.

Post us two full water parameter tests one from your water supply and the other from your tank plus what did you use to test the water

Do you have much water movement and aeration in your tank?

Keith:cat::cat:

14. ShadowMac

I disagree Keith. Maybe for high grade crystal shrimp but not for cherry shrimp or amanos or ghost shrimp. They are all hardy and will do more than fine with once a week water changes.

This was the iodine dosing.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

15. keithgh

Shawn

I had Cherries, Darwin Algae Eaters and Ninja shrimps and when I started doing the twice a week water changes my plants improved and all my shrimps were breeding better.

I agree it might have been unnecessary considering I had a big Eheim Canister plus the UGF but the results spoke for its self.

16. Superfish

Superfish New Member

My one red cherry shrimp has just died after 100% water changing, I can't do other method because I has to move my tank. It is a cute shrimp. hic.

17. ShadowMac

Large water changes like this can alter many variables in the water which can lead to death of fish or shrimp.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

18. keithgh

I would rather do 4 X 30% prepared water every second/third day if I had to certainly not a 100% as you would be asking for trouble.

You can store the water easily when you have to move a tank I have done this twice with a damaged tank and nothing was ever lost.

19. Jake5660

Jake5660 New Member

Well, the tank is in front of a window in the picture. If if wasn't mentioned before it's not good to use direct sunlight.

Smaller tanks have more unstable water. Some shrimp especially Amano are jumpers. Have a lid on the tank! Sounds like very unstable water chemistry.

20. Adam Edmond

Adam Edmond New Member

Sorry for the loss. But is your tank protected from interference from others without your permission? If not so consider doing it with immediate effect since it is not every one who understands the importance of your aquarium tank.Otherwise adequate information has been provided above.