1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Eriocaulon and Tonina Aquascapes (where did they go?)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Nov 4, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Eriocaulon and Tonina sp. are the most difficult species of plants I ever had the (un)fortunate opportunity to grow due to my local hard water.

[​IMG]
    Eriocaulon "thailand" - Jake Adams

[​IMG]
    Tonina fluviatilis - Jake Adams

I know I've brought this topic up before...but I haven't seen anyone in recent years use these plants. It is a shame!

Where did these plants go and where are the aquascapes?

-John N.

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Many germans still struggle with Ericaulons, they do well and produce lots of flowers and one day they disappear.

I will give them a try in one of my future tanks

3. John N.

These are the most unqiue looking plants I've seen in our hobby. I am very surprised that they aren't very popular, even among the advanced aquascaper.

-John N.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

even advanced aquascapers have problems with them.
    On the other hand they donĀ“t really suite any style as they are focal plants and look best in those naked shrimp tanks

5. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Propagation is a PITA, to much work, little reward.

6. John N.

LOL. True for the Eriocaulon species but Tonina is a little easier to grow and propagate.

These leaf shapes are difficult to aquascape with no doubt about it. However, if someone can create a "mountainscape" or realistic forest as they did in the IALCP 2010, then I'm sure there has gotta be an aquascaper with the talent and vision to do something neat with these plants.

In the past two years I have seen very few aquascapes with these species. Yet these plants are so unique and striking it makes me wonder why. :-?

-John N.

7. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

I think a lot of it has to do with its growth and lifespan. You would probably need to propagate a lot of these plants in order to use them effectively in an aquascape. Most aquascapes today usually last between 3-4 months and no longer than 6 months. If these plants were used, it would be difficult to utilize them within the lifetime of an aquascape.

Nevertheless, these are pretty cool plants and I've had my fair share growing them, but using them in an aquascape is quite challenging. Hopefully someday we'll see a nice aquascape using these plants.

8. cibserg

cibserg New Member

I am not a big fan of tonina, eriocaulon aquascapes but i try to integrate Tonina Belem in my nature style scape. See right-up side of the picture. Soon I will come back with more pictures.

[​IMG]
    doar o poza by Sergiu Ciubotariu, on Flickr

Eriocaulon sp. Thailand is very popular in Romania too.
    Here it is in one of my tanks.
    [​IMG]

And a sort of Dutch style with Tonina Belem and Eriocaulon Setaceum and Thailand

[​IMG]
    Update 02.oct.2010 by Sergiu Ciubotariu, on Flickr

Recently I received Tonina Manaus and Tonina fluviatilis and they are doing great for the moment.

9. John N.

Looks great. Tonina, especially Tonina "belem" stems are hard to aquascape with, due to their robustness and quick growth.

Tonina fluviatilis is an interesting plant that could do well in an aquascape much like Rotala rotundifolia.

-John N.