1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Emersed HC planting

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Scapeofaqua, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for the info Asthaparhim. I just read up on your 25l tank journal, DSM went good, to bad it all went downhill when you floated it.
    Either way, i'm going to make new start on the HC. But this time do it a little better. Here's my plan, any remarks are most welcome:

Plants:
    - DHG that's in the tank right now will stay in. It's not death but it is'nt growing either. So i'm thinking of cutting it back to the substrate to force runners.
    - Hydrocotyle tripartita is doing ok, new growth and roots. It is carpeting over the soil and growing slightly up (5-7 cm high). Might need stronger lights?
    - HC that is death is going out and new is going in as soon as it arrives. Going to plant in very small portions this time, just laying it on top of the substrate.

Equipement:
    - Going to buy a second light so i have 2 x 11 W , 6000K Daylight.
    - Going to buy spray bottle so i can mist the water instead of using a bottle with holes cut in it :p

Substrate:
    I have deponitmix substrate which is not that nutrient rich i've learned here. Prior to planting should i put in some caps or nutrient balls of any kind? If you have something you can advice me would be great.

Routine:
    - Open up saran rap every morning before/at lights on 1 cm all around the border so there is air circulation.
    - Mist some water every morning
    - 8 Hours lightning period.
    - Close saran wrap

Excuse me for this massive post. Just want to do it best way possible and learn from my mistakes ;)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored link:

2. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

Your idea of trimming the DHG is good. Just trim of the tips (nice little haircut) to encourage runners. With DSM you have the risk of HC meltdown after you flood it. It takes a while to convert from emersed to submerged state of growth.

3. Scapeofaqua

Hm the main reason i wanted to do DSM was to get a carpet faster but i'm a bit in doubt now, i'm not in a hurry to carpet the tank realy i have time/patience. Might it be better / easier to just start normal? I'm just afraid of the HC floating up all the time :/

4. ghostmonk

DSM is a very tried and tested method, no need to be worried about the temporary meltdown. But then, I am usually not in hurry as well for a carpet to grow out (allows me to adjust my scape while other plants grow out a bit) so I usually start submerged with all carpet plants, so that's not a problem either if you choose to go that route. While planting HC, I break them into very small chunks (about 1-2 cm width), then just by holding the tips of the roots, I drag them inside the substrate all the way till just the leaves are popping out of the substrate, so that roots are buried deep. Time consuming, but minimizes the chances of floating.

5. Scapeofaqua

So you actually bury some of the leaves of the HC when planting? :)

6. ghostmonk

try not too, but some might get buried :)