1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Emersed HC planting

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Scapeofaqua, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

Good evening. Yesterday i planted my nano iwagumi with HC. I'm going for the dry start method.
    Everything is fine but i have some questions:

- I planted the HC with circa 1 cm of mineral wool still attached to it. Is that a bad idea? If it is i'll pull out the HC and replant it.

- I'm going to spray daily with my main aquarium water. Is that a good idea? I'm doing this because it contains some Macro elements etc.. Or should i dose up a bottle of water with some fertz?

Thanks already!

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

It's much better to plant individual spriggots over leaving the rock wool on as it has a habit of floating up and getting everywhere.

Regarding dosing some ferts will help, largely depends on how nutritious the substrate you're using is.

3. Scapeofaqua

I'm using deponitmix from dennerle. I know it's not the best substrate but it should do.

I'll remove the wool then thanks

4. Garuf

The cap is inert and the roots on most forground plants won't be in the deponit mix so I'd suggest fert misting.

5. Scapeofaqua

Some people suggested me to use my big tank's water to spray the dry start with. Or should i just mix up some water with the fertz i use for my big tank?

(replanted the HC btw)

6. Garuf

Much of a muchness, ferts will add more nutrients than tank water being my reasoning for thinking ferts would be better since the cap is inert.

7. Scapeofaqua

Sorry but i don't understand what you mean by "the cap is inert"? :)

8. Garuf

The black substrate you have on the top that you plant into is inert, ie. it has no CEC capacity so only ferts in the water will be available to the plants not getting anything from the sand.

9. Scapeofaqua

Ah ok. And the HC roots are to short to reach the deponitmix. That's what you mean? :)

Will this work: mixing some water with universal fertilizer, iron fertilizer, Nitrate fertilizer and phosphate fertilizer?

Ow and how long should i leave lights on when dry starting? I'm currently running 12 hours

10. Garuf

Yeah, pretty much that, the deponit stuff isn't all that nutrient rich either.

Universal fertilizer? Do you mean like miracle grow or what? I'd say just use some dilute tropica tpn+ or something that'd be fine or buy the dry ferts and dose those which will be cheaper.

I'd say 12 hours and no more but I don't know all that much about DSM, I've tried it in the past but my house was too cold and it didn't really work out. Give the forum a search and see what comes up.

11. Scapeofaqua

Haha no if i had miracle grow i would share the news ;)
    I meant like easy life profito :)

12. Scapeofaqua

Well Dry start is running nearly 2 weeks now and my HC is melting :/ I realy don't get why though. I spray every morning, seal tightly with saran and leave lights on for 10 hours a day (11W). Some pieces are still looking fine while others are almost complete mush now..

13. Garuf

Post a photo up it might be that there's too much water or too cold possibly.

14. Scapeofaqua

I can't take a picture of my own HC right now but it's very similar to this:

[​IMG]

15. Scapeofaqua

Took some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like you can see some HC does ok but more is dying everyday :( what am i doing wrong?

16. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

I had the same problem, but I knew what I was doing wrong before it all melted like yours. (Thanks to Jurijs).
    My problem was: misting too much and not enough air circulation.
    Next time you should open the savanwrap in the corners when your lights turn on so some fresh air can come in and close them again when the lights go off.
    When I did the dry start method I had a photoperiod of 8 hours instead of 10.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  17. Scapeofaqua

Air circulation could be it because i completely seal it during lights on.
    In other words this HC is lost? Should i take it out?

I also got some DHG in there but that does'nt seem to grow either nor is it dying. Should i cut it way back when i plant it?

18. Asthaparhim

Get the browns parts out and replant the green parts (like on picture 2 on the right side it looks OK, but on picture 3 it looks terrible :p ).
    You could try to devide the green parts you've got in smaller parts/stems and replant them again.
    If the DHG is brown take it out if not leave it, me was told that the brown parts are dead and they won't recover.

19. Scapeofaqua

The DHG is not brown, maybe 2 stems on 50 or something. But it's not growing after 2 weeks.
    Prob will replant and buy 1 or 2 more HC :)

About that air circulation, i've got a cover for the top (dennerle nanocube 30) And on the edges there's like a 0.5cm (1.25inch) wide open space all around the top of the tank. Up untill now i would have sealed that with saran rap all day and night. Would it be better to leave the saran off when lights on for circulation and when lights go out cover with saran so it's completely sealed? Probably switching to 8 hours light as well.

Top of dennerle tank (just so you know what i'm talking about :) )
    [​IMG]

Thanks ;)

20. Asthaparhim

Yes I think it will work too, but if you don't see any progress you could take the cover for the top off (?) the tank and open the corners of the savan wrap for about 3/4cm when the lights go on (or a little bit before the lights go on) and close the wrap again when the lights go off (or a little bit before the lights go off) like I did when DSM.
    Oh and I also changed the wrap once a week. Switching to 8 hours won't be a bad move, hope it will go well for you this time!