1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Eliminating clado from low tech

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Axelrodi202, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

What's the best way to completely get rid of clado from a low tech tank? I have a 15 gallon tank that currently just has a bunch of wisteria (no livestock besides the standard pond and ramshorn snails) with a small amount of clado. I would like to pretty it up, have some flame moss, and add some fish, but my experience tells me if I add moss while any clado (no matter how little) is still in the tank the moss is a goner.

Seems like people have had mixed results with the standard one-two punch or spot treatments. Has anyone successfully eliminated clado from their low tech tank? No livestock means I can go a bit harder than most standard treatments, but I'd like to maintain some of the biofilter if possible.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Axelrodi

I would try applying Excel directly to the Clado using a syringe or a dropper.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think excel is better against brush algaes, but it would definitely kill the algae.

The big problem with clado is that it ends up in everything and everywhere...and if you miss one single strand you will find a bunch later.

Best methods are diligent manual removal, blackout, and something like algaefix

If you have shrimp instead of algaefix you're gonna need a bunch of amano shrimp.

I think what really happens when people get clado is they keep removing it and can get it down so that it isn't very noticeable. I don't know if anyone ever actually gets rid of it once you have it. Its very stubborn, along with other similar thread algaes.

J Art likes this.
  4. keithgh

Axelrodi202

No mater which method you use it could take you a long time to remove it all.

Did you treat all your plants first and go over them very carefully.

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

I may just trash the plants. Does anyone have experience wit husing Algaefix against clado?

6. ShadowMac

I haven't used it personally against clado.

I used it in the maintenance dosing quantities for a bit on my Wild Dutchman when it had no livestock. There is an account on the Barr Report where Tom Barr outlines his use of it.

7. keithgh

Axelrodi202

What is the cost difference in completely cleaning the tank including the substrate and plants against buying the products that "might" remove it.

8. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

After looking up clado, I'm pretty sure this is what I have in my setup as well. Been manually removing for a month or so, but it's starting to really creep into everything. It isn't noticeable until you get up close, but then you can see it developing everywhere. Some areas I would have to completely remove the hair grass to remove the algae. Blah...

9. ShadowMac

And it grows well even when plants are doing well. One of the few algae not controlled well by healthy plant growth.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  10. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

I already have Algaefix in my fish closet so I'll give that a shot first. If not I'll just trash the plants and start fresh.

11. J Art

I did a spot treatment of hydrogen peroxide to see what happens. Will update on this if I see positive results.

12. keithgh

J Art
    Axelrodi202

If you can not remove it one way or another its will be a massive tank cleaning and means every thing miss one little piece and its back and off again.

13. J Art

Have been doing spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide for a few days and it's definitely taking care of the spots that i treated. Algae is appearing to die off quite effectively without harming plants/fish/shrimp.

14. ShadowMac

the challenge is going to be finding it all.

I think the approach is more of a control angle. Any small filament will grow back. But, hopefully the spot treating allows you zap everything in that area, so as small pieces grow out they are more easily spotted and eliminated without more spreading somewhere else. This is always the challenge with manual removal. You end up fragmenting the algae and it goes somewhere else.

Keep us updated how the persistent spot treating works. It will take some time, but maybe constantly attacking it in this way will lead to complete eradication eventually.

15. J Art

I agree it will be an ongoing battle, but hopefully at least managed. I added back in the powerhead to get more flow in the aquarium as well. Not sure if that will do much, but I realized since the hairgrass grew in dense and taller...I had a few circulation dead spots. I saw a few people on youtube using hydrogen peroxide with every water change as a normal maintenance thing with good results. I may start doing that right off the bat in the next setup. Didn't mean to take over this thread, btw...hopefully it's being helpful....

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  16. keithgh

J Art

You contributing with useful information and that is the main point in helping each other.

ShadowMac and J Art like this.
  17. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

Nice to see that spot treatment can work. I started my own treatment two days ago - I removed almost all the plants to eliminate hiding spots for cladophora fragments and added a slight overdose of Algaefix. Last I was able to check was yesterday, most of it was gone but there were still some green bits left. Will keep updating.

18. keithgh

Axelrodi202

Sounds like you are doing a good job of removing all of problem by using the Algeafix.

19. J Art

Just did my weekly maintenance and wow, I have to say that the H2O2 treatment has eliminated quite a bit of it. I was able to gently siphon out clumps of the dead algae right from the base of the hairgrass. I only uprooted a few strands, which were easily pushed back into the substrate. It will take a continuing effort, but huge win for me vs the algae this week using this treatment.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  20. keithgh

J Art

Once you have removed what you think is 100% this is the time not to relax as soon as you see any sign of it treat it immediately.