1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Eleocharis acicularis Varieties?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by jho, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jho

jho New Member

So what's the deal with Eleocharis acicularis?

I've been looking to buy some and i have some conflicting info about it. It seems like from the aqua suppliers it is short and submergable, but from American wholesale nurseries it can grow up to 12 in, grows slow, and will possibly die if completely submerged. Are there different varieties of this plant and if so how are you suppose to name the different varieties?? Can anyone shed some light??

2. divadnart

divadnart New Member

There two types of grasses I think. Dwarf hairgrass and hairgrass. The hairgrass gets about 12 inches or so while the dwarf one grows up to about 5 inches or so.

3. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer New Member

Eleocharis acicularis: Can be grown emersed and immersed. It is generally thought of as fore ground plant, but is a mid ground plant IME, as it grows a lot taller than Tropica say.

Eleocharis parvula: Very similar to the above, but it grows outwards a lot more than upwards, keeping it shorter. Once growth becomes crowded, it is forced to grow upwards, and becomes more of a mid ground plant.

Eleocharis vivipara: This variety grows very tall, and is definitely a back ground plant.

All nicknames for plants should be banished, and only the latin names should be used to avoid confusion IMO.

Dave.

4. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Good info Dave, and good point with the latin names vs. nicknames.

I have same experience with all 3 kinds of eleocharis.
    And trimming E. parvula down helps a lot to get a low and thick carpet.

Here 250L with E. acicularis and E. parvula
    [​IMG]

Trimming:
    [​IMG]

After trimming:
    [​IMG]

5. cibserg

cibserg New Member

Great post.
    I was wondering too how to keep Parvula low in height.
    What happens with the trimmed plants? Do they remain green or they get yellow on the tips? Do you have a macro picture with Parvula few days after triming?

6. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

You cut them down very close to the ground. The cutted leafs will turn brown but since they are cutted down we only see the new shots.

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

will this work in a nano tank too? :-?

8. kire.laz

kire.laz Aspiring Aquascaper

Anti-Pjerrot great post!! I was discovering all of this all by my self :S It's much easier when someone explain to you with pictures :party:

9. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Jur4ik - I think it will. Its the only way to trim eleocharis properly.

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

maybe will try an eleocharis only nano next time :)>-

11. jho

jho New Member

What kind of substrate is that? Also do you co2? How did you get it so green in the first pic??

12. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

The substrate is beach gravel with clay and peatmoss. Lots of CO2 via reactor. The color difference is due to photo setup and lamps.

13. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Few months back I found that Singapore LFS no longer selling E.acicularis. They only sell E.parvula and when I made an order, the supplier told me that E.acicularis and E.parvula are the same. Not sure how true. Some of my friend end up bring over from Hong Kong.

14. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Parvula and acicularis are not the same. Its easy to tell even if they are same size. The acicularis are more straigth than parvula

15. kire.laz

kire.laz Aspiring Aquascaper

Shadow your local LFS says you that they are the same bacaouse on their order list the 2 plants are written with the same name Eleocharis parvula "dwaft" but their Latin name is different, one is e.parvula and second is e. acicularis!! The retailers look just at the first name and the code before the name :S

16. rick4him

rick4him New Member

Quick question. I have the Eleocharis parvula as a background with my HC up front and I've had it for about 2 years.

I have a few questions - first this stuff has been a mess for me. It grows SO fast, and so thick that when I cut it down (like a lawn mower) it just grows back even thicker. If I try to pull some of it out, it will end up pulling out an entire section of the mat. Also I notice that in the thicker sections I get BBA going in between the blades.

What are the "tricks" to keep this looking nice?

I was also thinking of pulling it up and lying down a combo of vivipara and retro crypts.

What do you think about that?

17. rick4him

rick4him New Member

Quick question. I have the Eleocharis parvula as a background with my HC up front and I've had it for about 2 years.

I have a few questions - first this stuff has been a mess for me. It grows SO fast, and so thick that when I cut it down (like a lawn mower) it just grows back even thicker. If I try to pull some of it out, it will end up pulling out an entire section of the mat. Also I notice that in the thicker sections I get BBA going in between the blades.

What are the "tricks" to keep this looking nice?

I was also thinking of pulling it up and lying down a combo of vivipara and retro crypts.

What do you think about that?

18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

this is a variety of eleocharis i have run across while looking for plants in my aquascape eleocharis montevidensis or "giant hairgrass". Anyone heard of this?