El Natural Style

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Apr 8, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

El Natural Style

This style is sharply different from other aquascaping layouts. Although the El Natural Style is more of a plant growing technique that involves using natural light, potting soil, and few water changes, these aquariums often have their own flavor and aquascaping style. The El Natural Style is designed and promoted by Diana Walstad who is a well known ecologist and author. You most likely won't see these aquascapes in main stream aquascaping competitions, but it's an aquarium style that many love because of its real roots in nature (instead of artificial environments).

Here's an example of Diana Walstad's El Natural Aquariums

[​IMG]

Please discuss the techniques involved in creating a El Natural Style, and feel free to share your own El Natural scape.
    (Click here to discover other aquascaping styles)

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Neat tank why don't the have a competition for this style of tank?
  3. landstrykeren

landstrykeren New Member

Good idea, I like this style because it's a low maintenance style.
  4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Most El Natural tanks aren't really aquascaped in the way we know it. Although I know someone is going to prove me wrong, the El Natural tanks have a very jungle-ness to them where plants seem to be plopped in without a strategy. It's a unique style, but again because the plants appear to be placed in random order, the tanks don't look aquascaped. Any El Natural Aquascapers out there?

-John N.
  5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I would like to see more of these kinds of tanks.
  6. jfrank85

jfrank85 New Member

Here is a tank i setup after reading "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". Diana Walstad does use some artificial lighting plus natural sunlight.

[​IMG]

Its a balance of aquascaping and el natural with soil substrate and pros choice (soilmaster select knock off) as a top layer. No CO2 or ferts added but i do have a water change regimine of 50% every 2wks. Like I said its not really all el natural but more of a low tech and el natural hybrid.
  7. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Whats that tall red plant that goes across the surface?
  8. jfrank85

jfrank85 New Member

Barclaya longfoilia
  9. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Cool looking plant how does it grow for you?
  10. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Nice Bolivian Ram. Your tank looks very inspirational for El Naturals. Makes me want to start one soon. If I can convince the wife. HMM?
  11. dougz

dougz New Member

Can't say I'm a fan of this style..

Lacks the pleasing focal points and sense of depth that you get from the other styles..
  12. jfrank85

jfrank85 New Member

Hey Pat7676, the plant does great in the 3wpg and soil base. Periodic trimming may be in order if you dont want a huge red plant taking over the overall design of the tank, unless youre hardcore el natural and let it take its course. This is my only el natural style tank i own so far. Others are more tidy and kept, with sense of depth and focal points and are high tech w co2 injection. Low tech and low maintinence is the apeal of this style. BTW its only a ten gallon.
  13. Dave66

Dave66 New Member

Pat,
    Two words: Takahashi Amano. His trilogy - Nature Aquarium World, put in contest judges' minds what a award-winning tank should look like; a Amano-style layout.
    Shame, but that's the way it is.
    No American has EVER placed in the World Planted Tank yearly competition in Japan, though nearly 100 entered last year.

Dave
  14. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Thats crazy that no-one placed. What makes us so far behind them?
  15. jfrank85

jfrank85 New Member

Honestly i dont know why. My goal is to place at least in the top 30 once in my life. Im only 22 so i have some time.
  16. mogicanin

mogicanin New Member

:))
    :)))
    This style is thought of for people without taste
    :thumpdown:
    it is a not aquascape
  17. dougz

dougz New Member

Привіт, mogicanin!

Як справи?

Ти звідки?

Я талож не люблю цей стиль..

Фотографії маєш (свій акваріум)?
  18. mogicanin

mogicanin New Member

Привет, dougz. Рад видеть родной язык на этом форуме. Написал о себе в личку.
  19. dougz

dougz New Member

Добре, дякую..

Зараз подивлюсь.

Но ти ж Українець!

Чого по Русійській пишеш? :)

Я канадець, але колись жив била Львова..
  20. barga825

barga825 New Member

Its not any less tasteful or skillful. to create a fully self sustaining ecosystem inside a tank isn't, by any stretch, easy. I'm trying to set up a tank like this at the mo.