1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ei dosing help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by dmallia, Sep 10, 2017.

1. dmallia

dmallia New Member

I just built my first planted tank a few months ago and currently is being dosed with premixed fertilizers and pressurized co2. Plants are rotala rotundifolia, spiky moss and will soon be adding rotala macranda and ludiwiga repens rubin. Since plants are doing good, and I am going to run out of ferts soon, I thought of switching to dry salts, so I used the rotalabutterfly.com calculator and calculated a solution for the macro and micro bottles.

Macro:
    macro1.jpg
    Micro:
    micro.jpg

Since my tank is stocked with some guppies, shrimps and snail my nitrates are always over 20ppm without dosing and with the currently dosing it is almost 40-80ppm. Since with the dosing, it is a little high, I was thinking of not dosing KNO3 and increase K2SO4. So I did another calculation and the results are below.

macro2.jpg

Since I am new to ei, do you think I should dose nitrate? If no should I use dosages of the 1st macro picture or use the second. And are the dosages calculated good? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Not using EI at the moment but I have previously and the plants did very well,I don't know of any calculations other than the suppliers advise example I did it to APFUKs formula and dosing schedule but you could go for EI ready made all in one mix. Personally I would if your concerned about Nitrate do more water changing,it definitely will help but your reading if accurate is nothing to worry about but it's just my opinion Thing about EI is it's only one part of it your CO2 ,flow ,w/changes needs to be right along with working out your lighting schedule ,so everything grows faster has more nutrient demand more trimming and maintenance needed and filtration 10times gallon litre capacity is advised

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

dmallia

I think you have several concerns with or without your fertilisers.

Your nitrate should be below "10"
    What is your nitrite reading?
    also just checking what is your pH?

You have not mentioned any of the following
    Tank size?
    Filtration brand type model number?
    How often and how is it cleaned?
    Do you have any carbon in your filter.
    Water changes how often and what percentage?
    Your full inhabitants numbers.
    I would also suggest you run this program and post all the results.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Most important a few good photos of your tank. The ASW "Image" is very easy and safe to use.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Tim Harrison and keithgh like this.
  5. keithgh

dmallia

There has been some very interesting information posted for you.

What is your next step?

6. dmallia

dmallia New Member

As regards to readings, Ammonia and Nitrite is always 0, and filtering an 8 gallon tank with an aquaclear 20 with a coarse sponge and 2 fine small sponge for debris and biohome media, no carbon(only clean or replace the fine sponges(monthly) and rarely clean the coarse). After almost 2 months with ei dosing, plants seems to like the dosing because they are growing faster, still need to correct a little bit the co2. Currently ph is hovering between 6.55-6.6, and co2 is about 20pm (drop checker is a little dark green, opening the valve a little bit every day to have a little lighter green). Nitrate reading seems to be lowered too to about lower than 40(plants growing faster so more nitrate is being consumed which is a good thing). As regards to stock according to aqadvisor my stock is 102% and doing a 60% waterchange every week (I may increase to 80% if nitrates starts going up again). Lets wait and see but with 40 nitrates it is still good. Will soon be adding some erectus or ludwigia so nitrates may be lower after adding more plants.

7. keithgh

damallia

That seems rather strange do you have a special reason for not cleaning as being the first filter it must get very dirty.

8. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

If Clive :notworthy: who wrote the EI article I linked was reading your post his answers would be

abandon test kits and simply concentrate on things that actually matter.

Unquote

which he responded very recently in Water testing and as for not cleaning the course filter once the filter is open(n)

keithgh likes this.