1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Ecoscape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by lucasgg, Dec 14, 2016.

1. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

My break has been much appreciated although a little shorter than I previously said. I'll be getting 3 gallons of aquasoil for Christmas and I will be doing a more in-depth re-scape. I've started the planning proceses. Drawing, looking, and more drawing. I'd like to move to a jungle island style this time.

Also, any tips or necessities for owning aquasoil would be much appreciated.

Here's a larger sketch that I've done recently. Still working out hardscape plans and what not. image.jpg

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

3. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Looks like its going to be an interesting scape. The drawings look cool, but you need to keep in mind that you are implementing the use of over arching rock, so you will have spots in the scape that will not have light. Considering this, you should be prepared to place either low light plants there, or some rock rubble to give it that natural effect... how large is the aquarium? Do you have the hardscape materials?

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. lucasgg

15 gallon, using shadowing artistically and no i dont have all the hardscape material together completely. Any ideas on rock color?

5. lucasgg

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

lucasgg

When sketching its prefered to do it to a scale then when you are satisfied with the rough sketch redo it full size that way you will have a better idea how it will look.

The problem with rough sketching and you do not have the hardscape it will be practically impossible to buy what you have drawn. The best thing to do make a very rough sketch then go hunting for your hardscape. Now you can start the scale or full size planning either on paper or in a mock up box.

All this seems a lot of extra work but what is wrong with taking the time to plan everything perfect for something that could be set up for many years, in other words "What is the hurry"

[​IMG]

Your sketch is rather good it gives us at ASW what you are thinking about. You have a good island mound shape with your hardscape creating a simple basic curve.

My only concern I would move it just a little to the left reason at the moment its neither central or your focal point one third from the left.

These are not hard and fast rules its making your Aquascape more pleasing to the eye.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. lucasgg

Going to start staging and hardscapeing

Attached Files:

8. lucasgg

Quick question: would leaving a half inch layer if dirty detritus filled gravel under the aquasoil be harmful?
    And would it be an entirely stupid idea to sprinkle some Plantex CSB + M on the base of the substrate??

Also officially going for a modified version of this look
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. keithgh

lucasgg
    My question would be why are you wanting to do this, if it's dirty it could affect the clarity of your water?

I do not know that product at all therefore I cannot comment on it.

Try to have the top of the mound 1/3rd in from the LH end unless you prefer a perfect central look.

10. lucasgg

It would not affect the clarity of my water, only the bacterial conditions in the deepest layers of the substrate.

11. keithgh

lucasgg

All of my tanks I always used Under Gravel Filters which gave even the deepest substrate a water movement through it, plus the rooted plants loved the water movement and always brought them food. There was never a gunk build up as I syphoned via the risers.

I always prefered to be on the safe side and I never changed anything that I knew that worked in my tanks.

In other words I do not know therefore I cannot give you advice on what to do.

Keith :cat::cat:

12. lucasgg

Also, the information packet in the aquasoil explicitly said to never mix aquasoil with any other substrate brand. I'm assuming this is simply a small scale monopoly/lawsuit-preventative scheme but im assuning it would be ok with flourite gravel

Hardscape and substrate mapping is complete
    IMG_3571.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  13. lucasgg

Did a quick internet search about my question and found no red flags. On a side note, this is what I've come up with so far. My main concern is the heighth and how much wood i have.
    Hardscape is subject to change.
    IMG_3575.JPG

14. keithgh

lucasgg
    If there was a fault with the product it would be replaced but if you added any thing to it I am positive the guarantee would not apply.

Your substrate and rocks all OK as far as height it's the DW that requires the height and more added to it.

You will require more medium sized rocks using the same rocks plus a few chips that will be required close to the DW.

15. lucasgg

Exactly my thoughts

16. lucasgg

I will need to get more driftwood for the height, the highest branch is only a precursor to the heighth I want to introduce.
    IMG_3583.JPG

17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Is your filter cycled? If not just add the mulm to your biomedia as a jumpstart. No reason to put the layer under the soil. Yes it would help jumpstart the cycling, however in the long run the gravel could be pulled up and mixed in if you are replanting or moving plants around. It will get annoying.

Again, there isn't much of a reason to do this. Most of the nutrients are water soluble and would just enter the water column anyways. The soil has a great deal of nutrients particularly micro nutrients. Just dose the water column and use some root tabs.

lucasgg likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Your hardscape is much too small for the size of your tank.

19. lucasgg

I beg to differ. I'll be getting more drift wood sometime...

20. lucasgg

These plants really are teasing me, looks good but im not ready for planting yet.
    IMG_3584.JPG