1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Eco Complete vs ADA Aqua Soil

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by Gary Murphy, Sep 25, 2015.

?

Best Substrate?

1. Eco Complete

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ADA Aqua Soil

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey guys just starting up a new tank and was wondering which substrate is best for plants such as Monte Carlo and Dwarf Hairgrass etc?

Ive read that Eco Complete is basically inert even though it does state it has lots of nutrients and takes nutrients from the water and would need to have ferts dosed daily but it lasts forever but Aqua Soil has lots of very good nutrients and is a proven performer for most aquascapers that last for around 3 years.

Could someone please offer some insight into this and their experiences using these. Thanks :)

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Gary

Over the years on ASW and other forums I have read the ADA does have a rather short life span and can a few conferences if its disturbed too much.
    I would say its a quality medium if you have plenty of money and competing in Aquascaping contests then pulling it down to reuse the plants in your next project.

Eco Complete sorry I can not give you much help the WWW is full of it but is it reliable information.

Keith:):)

3. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

EC is inert and has almost no nutrients. Must column fertilize or root tabs. Difficult to plant in.
    For twice the price, AS is the best choice.

4. keithgh

In all the years I only ever used 1-3mm natural river gravel, its life span is practically endless, I used liquid ferts and tabs certainly not cheap but I could leave the tank set up for many years and reuse it when required.

5. Gary Murphy

Cheers Guys. I ended up going for Aqua soil Amazonia ;)

6. keithgh

Gary

That means you are intending to pull that tank down in the next 3-5 years and start a fresh or start using liquid ferts and tabs.

7. Gary Murphy

I reckon in 4 years time I will be looking at changing it so will be perfect if it lasts that long :)

lucasgg likes this.
  8. keithgh

Gary

I was just checking to make sure about its life span. After that you could use liquid ferts and fert tabs.

9. Williams Favourite

Williams Favourite Aspiring Aquascaper

I've used ADA aqua soil for some time now. I must say I don't understand whats so great with it. Compared to other soils like Elos I had the same water parameters and growth. The pellets in the ada soil seems to dissolve after a few weeks in use which means in case of reuse is a "no go" The prize of the soil I found cant be justified compared to Elos dark soil, which also has a high cost. But in comparison the pellets didn't dissolve and I could reuse some with new soil added. Early this year I found that Tropica had a soil too and thought I'll give it a chance. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of the soil. I had one setup for 5 months. Took it all down and dried the soil in the sun and reused it all with the same plant growth as the previous setup. I dident add any new soil. 100% reuse. I use Tropica+ ferts (The green one) every day with all my setups. 4 weeks ago I had a rescape of my second tank and used tropica soil in that too. The plants have a fantastic growth and all parameters are perfect. The best part is that its half the prize of ADA soil. Just thought I'll let you all know :) Sorry for the off topic :)

10. keithgh

Williams Favourite

Thank you for posting all that practical and useful information.

11. Gary Murphy

Thanks for that Williams. I suppose when picking a substrate its all trial and error and a matter of opinion. This will be the first soil i have tried and in the future would definitely experiment using different substrates. I suppose with Amazonia Soil were also paying for the Brand itself, I will be sure to take a look into the Elos :)

12. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

ADA aquasoil all the way. You made a good choice. Your plants will thank you for it, not to mention, you can start thanking yourself for making grow plants easy for yourself.

Eco Complete is a good substrate for planting, and honestly will do fine as well. But I think Aquasoil has the edge to get your plants established easily.

It's like planting grass in front of your house. Do you plant directly on dry dirt (eco complete) or do you till it and make it soft to allow the seeds and roots to establish themselves (aquasoil).

-John N.

13. keithgh

John I have never heard of it compared in that way its simple and very straight forward.