1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dutch something or the other

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Showcase' started by plantbrain, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Tim Smdhf

Tim Smdhf New Member

Hi,

I can't see any pictures :-(

Regards
    Tim

Sponsored link:

2. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Depends on when and what day the pic is taken on the L gigantea, it easily grows 3cm a day.
    The pantanal also grows about as fast. The small red plant is Rotala mini butterfly. Some poor SOB said I could not grow it in a rich nutrient
    EI dosed tank, haha.

From my 180 Gal
    [​IMG]

You can see Erio type 3, Pant and Rotala sunset and mini butterfly.

I've replaced the R macrandra in the rear with the mini butter fly, I may switch it with the L acruata.

All 4 have their own quirks, but it has nothing to do with light, cO2 or ferts, they like lots.
    Mostly trimming(rarely trim R sunset), crowding(do not allow that for Erio type 3), pant, it's a weed, mini butter fly, patience.

Removed the L sphaerocarpa, had extra R macrandra, but it'll be waving all over in this spot pretty bad.

[​IMG]

I'll likely place Rotala sunset back in that spot where the R macrandra is.
    I have a few different forms of macrandra coming in next week, so we will see, crinkle leaf and some small leaf form.
    Less white anubias, at the cost and slow growth rate, I've gone emergent for culture and selling. I can supply the tank if need be for a photo shoot.

There are other species I can use, but they need taller tanks and this design is tough due to the low height and frequent trimmings, it's a trim fest in here. If the weeds cannot handle frequent trimmings, they will not fair that well.
    Those end up in the 180 where they can grow for months without a trim.

Added more mini pellia, phased out most of the Fissidens. A bit less weedy and more manageable and nice texture.
    UG is finally starting to spread again. I think that Limnophila just beat up and gobbled all the CO2 and ferts.

I needed to add a tough more CO2 after it filled in.

sam.h and baukeshalmas like this.
  3. HisXlency

HisXlency New Member

Love the update. Very inspiring. Can we get a pic from the side?

4. plantbrain

5. plantbrain

The EH was a bit toasted when it came it, it got pulled up pretty quickly by the fish and the shrimp.
    I'll have to try a different method or go with HC.

6. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I love the colour balance between L &R with this plant:

[​IMG]

baukeshalmas likes this.
  7. plantbrain

It's okay, but they flop around in the current over there.
    Rotala sunset has a nice color, not as red, but a stiffer plant. there are many species of red plant, but many get beaten and flopped around in that spot.
    Others are common and not really something of a challenge, or too pale like L sphaerocarpa.

The EH got completely pulled up by shrimp and fish. It was 50/50 melted when it arrived, so I hoped I might save it, but I think I'll do another tank with that plant and then use HC perhaps.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  8. plantbrain

Some sections are progressing well, still waiting for some plants for that front section.
    The Mic umbrosum monte carlo is growing even if I had one tiny sprig to start. A single sprig of E hydropiper also made it.

Mini pellia is growing in on a few pieces of the wood nicely. I'll tie some more on today.
    I much prefer the look of this compared to Fissidens which can get a bit weedy and frags everywhere.

I'm okay with the Rotala macrandra now where it's at, I resisted placing it there for a long long time.
    It's relatively manageable in this location also.

UG is always happiest in this far corner.

I'm not entirely happy with the color development of the L acruata, but it's shaded by the main wood and the other Myrio behind it.
    I might remove it and then allow the mini butter fly to arc around the back side of the wood over to that location. People by that plant, they do not buy L arcuata really.

I topped 90% of the L senegalensis this time instead of uprooting. Then replanted the tops. Does not give quite as nice look while those tops grow back and the bottoms resprout.
    But I'll have a pretty dense even growth after wards. When I topped and replanted only fresh tops, the plants grew much faster also. But I did not get a lot of production for sale....and it's more work.

I'll uproot and replant the Downoi in a week or so, this will clean that spot up some and make it more even/uniform.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey tom,

It s still an Explosion of colors :)

Allways "like" it ;)

Cheers
    Flo

10. plantbrain

I planted the Monte Carlo Mic umbrosum and it should fill in pretty fast, I'd say 2-3 weeks tops.

I'll remove the wood on the far Right with Fissidens tomorrow and add Mini pellia on it.
    added some "mini" A reinieckii. I'll let this next wave of plants develop, hopefully there will be few holes or gaps.
    You can see the progress on the UG after the 4-5 th replanting.
    It regrew a bit faster after I switched out the CO2 to a dual stag regulator and then carefully tweaked the CO2 using a pH meter this time.

CO2 is the main factor other than trimming consistently, which if NOT done routinely....... will change the flow patterns and thus the CO2 and algae will grow.
    If the flow is altered too much, the plants act like a dam constricting CO2 and current. Since this tank is shallow, the effects are very pronounced.

11. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Plantbrain STUNNING COLOURS love it (y)(y)(y) cheers roy

Shane P. likes this.
  12. jinne

jinne New Member

Can you put numbers in the pictures en then note wich plant is wich number! I like all the plants in your scape!!

Shane P. likes this.
  13. plantbrain

The species layout changes often. This would be a lot of work on top of the doing the scape and updating it so often as it is.

14. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

Your tank is an inspiration to me. Of course, I kept 'fruit stand' reefs for years *wink*. I'm not sure if you still have this set up, but I just finally finished all 18 pages of this thread and I'm hoping you could please tell me what the lime green plant I've circled in red is in your picture? Also, I live in Eastern WA, and there are no decent stores to purchase plants in my area. If you ever ship, I'd love to purchase many of the species you have in this display.

Attached Files:

15. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Wendy

plantbrain was last seen: Jul 22, 2014

My suggestion would be repost that photo and ask about that plant in the Topic Aquatic Plants.

As this is an international Forum could you add your Country and Location not just WA as that could be Western Australia to an Australian please.

Also tell us about yourself and Aquarium experiences.

Keith:cat::cat:

Shane P. likes this.
  16. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

OK, will do. Thanks for the info!

keithgh and Shane P. like this.
  17. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Hi Plantbrian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You can find Tom Barr on Facebook or at his forum The Barr Report. He does often sell plants from this tank, however he has changed species many times over the years. The plant you circled looks like a myriophyllum species of some type. I cannot say for sure.

This tank is truly a beautiful setup.

keithgh likes this.