1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dutch something or the other

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Showcase' started by plantbrain, Sep 26, 2011.

1. sam.h

sam.h New Member

Wow this tank is amazing! No signs of algae and superb plant growth, it really does look like a reef! Any secrets?

Sponsored link:

2. galettojm

galettojm New Member

Wow! I have really happy with my UG's growth, but yours is amazing!

3. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Several have asked, the plant in front of the Rotala "sunset" is Rotala magenta.
    This plant has a deeper red color, more a blood red and small leaves than the R sunset.
    It does well with short height and in high flow like this location.
    Many fail with it, as I might this time also, but thus far, it has responded very well in this location.
    I trimmed it low, only 6-8 cm and only the best tops that came in.

R macranda has too large of leaves for this location and is too ratty on the lower parts.
    This form should do pretty well, but time will tell.

You can also see the ratty runners on the UG, I trim these off rather than trying to replant the tips etc. They just pull up. I remove the runners and grow them in other tanks or emergent etc.
    This keeps the mat looking nice until it fills in better.

baukeshalmas and galettojm like this.
  4. plantbrain

I was way for 2 weeks and the tank needed some severe trimming. Pardon all the mulmy dust on the plants, I'll get that out this weekend or so. Then fix up the rear plant groups.

I expanded the UG as a primary foreground since the Elatine hydrompiper came in melted. I'll try again later.

I removed the A cardinalis, the color was too close to the Ludwigia red. I've had troubles with matching the red pale color of the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa(incorrect name= L. pilosa)
    Nice plant, but few have bothered scaping with it.

I added 3 nice Fissidens branches for contrast.
    I removed the Rotala sunset and moved it to the rear of my 180 Gal tank for a permanent home there where it does not have to endure weekly trimmings. It should do much better there.
    No one will bother with the R magenta either, so it was removed, but it did do well there.

I try to balance new nice plants, things I can sell also, with nice color, nice texture/leaf shape differences and overall display/frequent trimming.
    That is not easy to do. Lots of trial and error.

Removed the Buce's for now, till I decide where I want to place them, likely behind the Wood on the right.
    The almost pure white Anubias has doubled in about 1 month, not bad. I'll certainly allow it to fill in more over time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ericadesign

Ericadesign Aspiring Aquascaper

It is one of the most organize tank I have seen....
    it looks like you ask them to grow just the way you want it!!!
    "LIKE" "LIKE" "LIKE"

6. plantbrain

Well, hopefully I'll organize the rear sections a bit more this weekend and next week as the rest grows in more.
    I have trouble with this tank due to the lack of the rarer species, so I have to wait somethings for up to 2 months for the groups to fill in enough before I can gauge and see if they are effective in certain locations.

The other issue is whether the plants behave well with the trimming required to keep them in the spot.
    Then another issue is whether the plant can pull its own weight regarding plant sales/trades vs a common species.

I decided to high light Ludwigia senegalensis vs say Rotala macrandra. And Ludwigia sphaerocarpus (incorrect: pilosa) instead of Rotala magenta/narrow leaf macrandra. rotala sunset could do well, but it did not seem to enjoy the more frequent trims and perhaps the higher light/current, something. R sunset does extremely well in my 180 which has the same ferts, sediment, light, bulbs, filtration (thus independent of that). Since many people do not plant nice larger groups in aquascapes with many if these newer species, I feel it's more a response to that issue, after all, a few nice examples in a decent scape= the plant will become very sort after and many will see its potential as a good aquarium plant.

A few plants like Rotala wallichii are just nice and hard to replace. That is about my only "normal common" plant.
    I would like replace the S. "belem with S. "Lago grande", and perhaps R wallichii with R mexicana "red". Both are rare as Hen's teeth.
    I do have a hyper white variety of Anubias petite. It'll take a couel of years to have a lot, but......

Maybe something else will come by then I like:)

7. plantbrain

UG is starting to take and fill in. I'll likely Fissidens the wood next to the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa(incorrect:L. pilosa) on the Right side to add some more contrast there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prior to hacking today:

[​IMG]

I likely will fill in the L. tornado in the rear more.
    I have some R vietnam in the Right corner that's growing fast and will contrast with the R wallichii.
    I plan on having a pretty good sized bunch/patch of L senegalensis and in about 1-2 more weeks, it'll be a massive sight.
    The L. sphaerocarpa(old incorrect pilosa) is a fast grower and does very well, better behaved for some reason that in the past. Easy for me to propagate.
    S. belem is a decent plant in the rear. Might try something else other than it however.

The Rotala "sunset" is now in the 180 Gal and I'll keep it in the back ground. It does very well and can grow and branch all it wants in there.

Need to add some more fish.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  8. plantbrain

Well, starting to get a little more organized at this point in time...........
    Fix the corners and the rest is just trim and wait for the weeds to grow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will likely try some Rotala macrandra or some type similar in this hole in the corner.
    In the opposite corner, I'll whack the Rotala wallichii and remove it. Then allow the Rotala " vietnam" to fill in.

The UG is still filling in and rooting well, it tends to grow up, then a bit ratty, needs a little trimming etc, then it starts to make a nice dense rug after wards, check back in 3-4 weeks and it should be nice and dense.
    Many seem to think it's not doing well at this stage, but a little patience rewards well.

[​IMG]

baukeshalmas likes this.
  9. plantbrain

I'll start to trim more to produce a nice slope towards the back, once I'm somewhat okay with the groups and combos...........steeper than I typically do. This will give the shallow tank a more sense of depth.

10. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

Someone please shake me. I am in a trance seeing your tank. That is the most brilliant Dutch scape that I have ever seen. And, the plants are all impeccable and they are very very difficult plants to grow and they are all in very good color. How do you do it? What is the secret? :D

11. Steven Caller

Steven Caller New Member

now that tank is just amazing!

12. plantbrain

It has Dutch elements, but it's a long way from either Dutch or Nature style.
    Lego style maybe:)

13. plantbrain

3 weeks after replanting the UG:

UG growth marches on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be maybe another 2-3 weeks till the UG really fattens up nicely and gets that super dense look I prefer.
    I will add fish and shrimp back next week, there's a few Fire shrimp and some plecos, Elephant noses etc, but the theme fish is not here, nor are the Amano shrimps or 500 fire shrimp etc.
    Tank should get a real good pic coming up around Xmas time or so.

I might even break out the Canon 5D mkII. Maybe a flash etc.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  14. plantbrain

Close up of the UG. You can see some older original leaves covered in algae buried in there, but all the newer growth is clean. This was without the aid of algae eaters that pick off such algae, eg a horde of Amano shrimp.
    Every so often I'll run a high light tank without any significant algae eaters to see. I'll be adding a horde tomorrow, but it's nice to see what happens even without them.

[​IMG]

The Couch view is a nice spot to look at the tank. I replanted some of the UG closest to you. I hacked the pantanal and the Tonina, but really hacked and spread out of the Ludwigia senegalensis. This next cycle will grow and fill in a pretty large space full of that, and I moved the Syn belem to the rear corner.
    This pictures illustrates the main piece of wood pretty well.

Someone said like a T rex or a squid.

[​IMG]

Close up of the mucky mulm corner. This is where all the filth will end up.

[​IMG]

The right side again: once this grows out 1-2 cycles, I'll be reasonably happy with it.

[​IMG]

The left side? Well, I need to try a few more things still.

[​IMG]

I'm not entirely happy with the color of the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa. I need a nice shade of red, but this is not it. I can move this plant to the middle rear or the left corner so there's a home for it.
    But I'd like a different contrast around that UG to balance the other reds which are stronger. As is, the color combo is very weak on the left side vs the right.

The rear left corn needs some work to make the plants I desire and the color and textures to come together.
    I'm not willing to forgo the Buce's and put them elsewhere, they need to stay in this shaded region as understory plants.
    I also still want to see them some also.

I will need to find a suitable piece of twisty wood to put back there to elevate them and then plant a bright red larger leaf or green thick bunch plant back in there.
    I also have some Mini pellia that needs a home and the darker color against the UG will look good in the corner.
    I also need to add some more ADA soil to fluff up the downoi and make replanting easier in a few of the rows.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  15. plantbrain

UG is starting to finally fill it and lay flatter. Many people kept pestering me with questions as to why it looked yellow etc.
    I stated once it fills in dense, it's top greener leaves will flop over as it becomes a denser and denser mat.

Most never even get their UG this dense. And it's not yet done.
    I do not trim it down to get it to stay short like this, it does this on its own. I'll trim errant runners, but that's about it and very very minor.

Other plants are coming along well enough. Be another month or two perhaps before it's in full bloom.
    I'll add some more Fissidens to the branches here and there as it grows out also, some of the plants in the Rear Left corner need to grow in more.
    I may also tie some Mini pellia to a few branches in the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

baukeshalmas, Rahul and ShadowMac like this.
  16. buyungbung

buyungbung New Member

it's tidy and healty plants,.. I really like your comitment of this tank... nice work dude... :)

17. plantbrain

I plan on removing some of the UG where the downoi are now and expanding this to break the continuous line of UG in the front.
    I want a wide path that tends to narrow some towards the back of the Downoi. I've not tried the Red macrandra in the left side before.
    We will see how it does in the higher current.

The Ludwigia tornado looks nice from above and contrast well once it's dense enough.

[​IMG]

Top view. You can see the new Rotala macrandra I added in the lower left side, very mauve colored, this is typical in very high light tanks. it's a freaky color.
    Most seek/expect a more red blood or red cherry color generally.

[​IMG]

Side view, shows some recently UG replanting.

[​IMG]

Shows a close up on the UG and some other species.

[​IMG]

FTS:
    [​IMG]

18. hustyzn

hustyzn New Member

This is by far the best tank I have seen! Nice work!
    Where did you get the UG? I couldn't find it around or in eBay. If you start to trim the UG AGAIN, I'd like to buy some from you. I live in bay area also.

19. minicrazy592

minicrazy592 New Member

Beautiful as always!

20. Tsagos

Tsagos New Member

i cant get enought of this tank! I love it!