1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dutch something or the other

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Showcase' started by plantbrain, Sep 26, 2011.

1. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

I was not quite sure where I am going with this..........I have these more sublime tanks and all are different styles...........biotopes, etc.........reef etc.........no tanks are similar............

I wanted a more stem plant tank with some color contrast, nice plant streets and something to highlight to wood I sell. So the goal is more a colorful garden, bright and cheery. I also wanted some nice plants that I could sell so the tank makes enough $ to pay for the energy use, and hopefully a bit more, this will motivate me to garden more as well:eyeroll:

The style is more dutch than anything, with the wood acting something like an old bonsai tree with the roots coming out towards the front. This is FAR from natural style..........you'd NEVER see anything like this in any natural system.

Some have accused the dutch style as being similar to Reef tanks: "they look like Fruits stands selling neatly stacked colorful produce."

I'm not privy to that, and they have a point.

So I thought I'd toss some wood and use the natural curves and flow to add the plants into distinct groupings and work from there. So it's neither Dutch really, nor Nature.

I like "streets of plants" wondering back to the rear, this is a dutch style, and I like contrast(the textures are poorly worked here, but I'll work on this and change things little by little, the colors are green red, green red etc.......like Xmas). I alos have the divisions keeping the arious groups apart as well, this is somewhat Dutch in that respect also. I have not done so, but I shall.........keep the front edge about 2-3 cm clear of any plants and not allow them to press against the wall.

This is more of a "garden style" really.

I want color and have it. I have a few newer plants and I'll reword the sides some more, wait till other stems grow in more, thicken up etc, and the tank is only about 4 weeks old, I torn the old scape down, it was too, well, boring.......this is the 100% opposite direction almost.

So in another 1-2 months, the scape will come together pretty nicely, I'm still a bit undecided on the species of fish that will be the main community.

Fire shrimp, maybe 500-1000 or so now infest the tank, 3 Gold nuggets, 100 Amano shrimp and maybe 20 Sturisoma 3 cm fry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

wow. it allready looks amazing! :) i love the layout, the wood and the choice of plants. :proud:

3. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

uuhh...I am floored. That is an amazing tank! Where did you get that wonderful helferi? Your wood is magnificant! Great Job and can't wait to see it fill in...that shouldn't take too long. Great Job!!--R

4. Rahul

Rahul Aspiring Aquascaper

Tom you make it sound so effortless.8) Firstly i love this idea and its execution. Brilliant.

5. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

You are good. :)

The helferi looks supper healthy, and large. Really big plants.. :)

6. plantbrain

Look, this tank has many issues still with the design, many.

The "guts" are fine........I still have numerous things/details to work on......but the tank is still only 4, now on it's 5th week.

I also had to wait for various plants to come in and also fill out, I'm thinning the dowonoi, and allowing others to fill in more.

I was going to use S belem, but it's a bit too weedy and large in the background, it loves current though.

Things to work on:

1. Allow most groups to fill in and thicken up. Then I can trim then with a staggered look front to back going upwards from low to high. This is really a key part.

2. Remove plants a bit on the sides, these where just nursery areas for some other plants.

3. Add a few smaller pieces of wood to make more spots to add a couple of plantings inside.

4. Add a bit more ADA AS to the rear and shore up the level in the back a bit more.

5. Move some plant groups around to get better textural differences, not just the red/green/red/green thing.......looks like "Christmas" almost.
    Maybe I could put some plastic candy canes in there in Dec no?
    A plastic Santa Sleigh?

6. Clean the tank up good and remove filter overflow and Vortech, and get a decent picture later. I'm lazy there. I have the equipment and all also:-"

7. plantbrain

I'm going to send Juri and Luis some wood in a few days to do the scaping in Hannover. This method is rather old and I saw it done, it must have been in the early 1990's from someone I have no clue who it was now.

They used a few pieces of a lighter color wood and Hydro difformis cut very short and replanted often.

Common weedy plant, but it did look nice. And that's what counts.

I like the more uncommon plants, don't we all?
    But sometimes a common plants fits right in many scapes, I just want to minimize them, but still have my aesthetics and collectoritus also.

I have little diversity in my other planted displays, but I use to have a very high no# in the distant past. 30-50 etc.

That's way too many.

8. plantbrain

I'm going to send Juri and Luis some wood in a few days to do the scaping in Hannover. This method is rather old and I saw it done, it must have been in the early 1990's from someone I have no clue who it was now.

They used a few pieces of a lighter color wood and Hydro difformis cut very short and replanted often.

Common weedy plant, but it did look nice. And that's what counts.

I like the more uncommon plants, don't we all?
    But sometimes a common plants fits right in many scapes, I just want to minimize them, but still have my aesthetics and collectoritus also.

I have little diversity in my other planted displays, but I use to have a very high no# in the distant past. 30-50 etc.

That's way too many.

This was a smaller tank I used no hardscape, but it's not really dutch, but closer in style than the 120 Gal above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked some of the texture and colors from this tank, but with the 120 Gal, I have far more room to work with. I can make very nice "plant streets".

DeepScape likes this.
  9. plantbrain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some other pics.

I'll trim the Red Ludwigia down more and remove the dowoni from so far in the front, likely remove the Gloss or keep it heavily pruned back. I need to have some diagonals running the other way also on the Left side, I might do that with the Erio's and add a few pieces of wood to make a new "border". Background plants are also still filling in and have a few trims to go. I'll let the Starougyne porto velho fill int that street in the middle like I have in the tank example above.......I've got some work, but nothing too major.

10. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

VERY nice! That piece of driftwood alone is a work of art =)

11. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi Tom,
    this tank look sooo BIG! What are the dimensions?
    Specially love the downoi and eriocaulon street and the walichi spot :113:

12. dr.dzek

dr.dzek New Member

Wow :-B fantastic color contrast :=D> ludwiga and rotala walichii leave the best impresion on me :proud: and excellent idea with small pieces of wood in the foreground... :tea:

13. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Wow.... Thats a colorful explosion. First time I am seeing someone using multiple streets in a scape. Will look forward to see how the tank matures with time.

Just a small point like to put up. That e vesuvius is looking out of the place in the background. You can give a thought to replace it with some other big leaf stems.

14. plantbrain

It's a reefer tank, 30" front to back Depth, x 18 H X 48" inches long.

I did a client's recently, similar, but 36" depth front to back.

I enjoy the shallower tanks with deeper dimensions.

It compressed the view and the schooling fish. Taller tanks dissipate schooling fish more from the front view.

I am thinking of some dwarf colorful Rainbows in here.

I'll redo the Erio and the Wallichii spots for certain, but they are okay for now.

15. plantbrain

Yes, the Ech vesuvious will be moved as well, I just added it the day before. It makes a ice contrast with the texture I have in mind..........

Here's the old tank with just plants and much smaller:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will give you some idea where I'm going with it.
    Once the A reineckii perks up, then I'll be in business and be able to fill the idea I have in better. Ech v is a very useful street plant and a nice textural change/shiny bright green color.

Hygro kompact might be an option, but I'll likely use Anubias instead crawling over some wood, or runnig a street of anubias along one of the branches perhaps.

I still have to figure which and what border wood pieces will be mossed also.

I'll likely just use 2 types of moss, Fissidens and maybe flame, or another type or a liverwort, these make nice streets also with the wood laying down like this.

I also have some dwarf lilies that would make a nice larger leaf contrast that are red also.

16. plantbrain

I have D diandra in this scape on one side, I may remove it and replace with something else still, I'm not sure, it is an easy plant to work with, but does grow fast.

Still quite undecided about a great many things.

17. randy0319

Lush, stunning, and well planned with wiggle room to boot! You are living the dream. You used to have some 30 tanks up and running in the past?? Where did you keep them all? How many tanks do you personally have? How many are showcase tanks and are there a number of farming tanks?

18. plantbrain

No, I've never had more than 8-9 tanks and they where small.

I only have 5 tanks in my home. That is the limit. More really becomes laborsome. It also detracts from the home also, too much clutter.
    I prefer open space in the home, not clutter. All are show case type tanks, I do not have "farm tanks".

This tank was not well planned really, hence the complete tear down.

Also, the main piece of wood was trimmed off the bottom about 2-3" to lower it and then I tried to rework the ADA AS and dig a new hole to position it. It's a bit more wobbly than anything I might do for a client. So that was and still is an issue.

I do not call that well planned:eek:

My other two 70 Gal tanks are in the process, one is a seagrass reef with Mangroves, it'll have SPS in about 3 months from now..... the other is going to run through a few different experimental scapes, then settle into a Tropheus colony or some Tangy of some sort or the other.

My 60p ADA non CO2 is listed and the 180 Gal Starougyne is around.......
    So there's 5 very different tanks, each with an atypical style and biotope theme.

19. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

the title don't excite me to look at what is inside this thread
    but when i do this very moment....with 30"depth this tank explode:))
    with natural beauty. job well done...wish to see the tank mature soon:113:

20. randy0319

I also have 9 'bodies of water' in my apt. but I think that cumulatively speaking you have many more gal and/or square feet of water in your place then I do. All in all you have done a spectacular job. Someday I hope that you post pics of all of the tanks and scapes that you presently have up and running. That would truely be something of a pleasure to see. Good luck with your other projects and hope to see them come to fruition.---Best regards---R