1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dutch inspired island [25L]

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Asthaparhim, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

Dutch inspired island [25L]

Tank: 40 x 25 x 25 (cm) 25L on a Juwel Aquarium Cabinet Rekord SB 60 with door.
    Lighting: 2x Aquatic Nature Solar Duo Boy 13w
    Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia, Aquarium Sand
    Filtration: Eheim 2213
    CO2: 2KG bottle pressurized co2 with an inline atomizer system
    Flora: Bacopa myriophylloides, Bacopa caroliniana, Alternanthera reinecki, Staurogyne sp, Glossostigma elatinoides.
    Fauna: -
    Ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, K2SO4
    Other equipment: Lily pipes (Cal Aqua Labs - 13mm X1/F1), eheim taps 2x, hydor external heater 200watt.

After 2 fails I still want to create a succesful scape. This time something diffrent then an iwagumi (link to my previous journal). Got some inspiration from this thread and designed an aquamap for my tank.

The Aquamap
    [​IMG]

Day 1 (before flooding) - Sorry for the mess it was a fast made picture :p .
    [​IMG]

Day 1 (after flooding) - No floating plants!?! Next picture I will try to get all aquasoil out of the sand.The plants were all grown emersed thats why the Bacopa myriophylloides in the back is small right now. Hope I can post a picture of progress soon and not a picture of a tank with plants covered with algae :D.
    [​IMG]

2. Asthaparhim

The Bacopa rotundifolia (on the left and right side of my Alternanthera reinecki, the red plant) is growing OK but it looks like the lower leaves are melting away.
    I've found on the internet that I could solve the problem with softer water, but my hardness is only about 4.
    Or could it be possible that the plant is still addapting to a submersed form after 4 weeks?

keithgh likes this.
  3. Asthaparhim

Got some brown algae, no green aglea or hair algea yet so thats a good sign. Next week I'm going to get 2 otto's and 5 japonica shrimps.

Here are the pictures of the leaves, the top is green but the lower leaves melt, but there is still some new growth on the bottom as you can see in the lower middle of the picture. Going to cut them tomorrow and replace the green parts.
    [​IMG]

The glosso was growing like weed, untill I saw some transparant leaves and give it a cut
    First everything went brown but as you can see on the picture some new leaves are comming out of it.
    What should I do? Leave it? Or take them out and just replace the empty spot with staurogyne sp.
    [​IMG]

The Alternanthera reinecki has also got some transparant leaves, but think this is because of lack or iron.
    Had carnaval previous week and had not dose every day. Hope they will recover soon.

Adivce, help and tips are welcome.

keithgh likes this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Asthaparhim, I know this said old;) How are things going ? (y)

keithgh likes this.
  5. Asthaparhim

Hi! Thank you for asking, but unfortunately I could not get the plants healthy again and started a simple tank with only some javamos and one solar duo boy with 10x rasbora brigittae, 1x otocinclus and 5x amano shrimps. The tanks looks not amazing at the moment because I've been on holiday for 3 week and I had only somone for feeding the fish.

All aquascapes I tried with high light and CO2 failed for me and I still haven't found the cause of it :mad: , but I'm learning from it. I'm thinking about giving it a try again and start another iwagumi after reading this thread, the person is having the same lights and the same problems as me. I think the cause is CSM+B/dosing and I want to give it a try again with only easylife profito.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. greenfinger 2

Hi, Nice to talk ;) Well we are all learning (y) Somethings work some don,t :D:cry: Looking forward to seeing your work ;) Will read link but time for:coffee::sleep:

keithgh and Asthaparhim like this.
  7. Asthaparhim

Indeed! I really like your mini nature riparuim! Hope my next scape is going to look that nice too :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. greenfinger 2

Thank You ,:) With All The Info On Hand At ASW :love::love: Your new Scape Will be:cool::rolleyes: Just never give up ;) Its all a learning curve :D Sorry now its time forrr Beddd:sleep::sleep: Night

keithgh and Asthaparhim like this.