1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

dry fert and crs

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by doonie, Oct 26, 2011.

1. doonie

doonie New Member

I would like to know what dry ferts I can use with crs in my tank? I know nothing with copper but what else should I watch for ? I'm not sure if I want to risk it at all but I would like some good green java moss in there for them. any advice would be appreciated.

2. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I use dry ferts in my tank. There are differing oppinions but here is my set up. Your water may be different so you may need to recalculate your dosages. Plantbrain has great knowledge and should be consulted. I dose Potassium nitrate, Monopotassium sulfate, Potassium sulfate and am very stingy on CSM+B. A freind of mine and I used a aqua dosing calculator online to get my dosages right. i mix the required amount in a 1 gal jug and dole out a quater cup per 10 gal for each dosing. I dose every other day.I put in Magnesium sulfate(epsom salts) also. After the initial Mg dosing (1 teasp. per 10 gal), I add only the amount that I take out with each water change= I take out ten gal an add one teasp mixed in tank water to replenish- once a week). I have heard, and am about to try Iodine for CRS as well. Kent plantpro has been reccommended as safe for plants and inverts. I think it all depends on how heavily planted your tank is in order for the plants to take up the nitrate and not hurt the shrimplings. I hope that helps---R

3. doonie

doonie New Member

Thank you for the reply Randy, I have some Kent Proplant but i have been afraid to add it to the tank. What type of Iodine are you talking about for the crs? The same used for coral ?

4. randy0319

From what the guy at planet inverts says in his 'how to care for shrimp' that is what he uses. He says that even though it is used in salt tanks, small doses it is good for shrimp. I thought about trying it myself under his instructions---R

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

iodine is available in their food and they should get plenty from that, no need to dose small traces.

planet inverts has some notorious rumors floating around ie nitrate sensitivity

if you only want to grow java moss i don't think ferts will be to necessary. maybe just a small bottle of seachem flourish dosed according to instructions.

excel should be avoided.

6. doonie

doonie New Member

I dosed with Kent proplant and they haven't died yet. The moss looks like it has seen better days tho, I think I need more flow.

7. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I contacted GLA and Orlando told me that CSM+B is safe for shrimp and does not contain enough copper to kill.

8. randy0319

I am very glad to hear that! I am writing this down so I son't forget....stupid rumours...thanks shadowmac and Lafataa!! best wishes to you both and may all of our shrimp live long...and prosper...especially the Vulcan ones---R

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

the iodine won't kill them, if dosed in small quantities. It will however remove cash from your wallet, unnecessarily.

I used to dose iodine, TBH. I have an almost entirely full bottle if anyone wants it. Real cheap.