1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Drought and Aquarium Keeping?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Oct 12, 2015.

?

How is the drought affecting your hobby?

1. I drastically limit the amount of water I use and/or number of aquariums.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I somewhat limit the amount of water I use and/or number of aquariums.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I continue my regular use of water and number of aquariums aquariums.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

A major drought period in California and other areas are affecting how we (humans) use and conserve water.

Is a drought effecting your area, and how are your responding?

On a more higher level of thinking, should we be more water conscious when it comes to our hobby?

-John N.

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm in California. I stopped doing regular water changes in three of my tanks. The water that I do change, I save some to water the plants.

I've also stopped taking daily showers. Now I shower twice a week and my skin feels a lot healthier, no longer dry and flaky. I can go much longer without a shower by using a wash basin. A wash basin only takes a couple of gallons of water, which saves a tremendous amount of water over a shower. The benefit to taking fewer showers: less mildew, less soap used, less laundering of towels. This saves even more water.

I also wear clothes many times before it needs to be laundered. I can go more than a month without washing my clothes now. Prior, I had to launder about once every 10 days because that's when I run out of clean clothes.

As for the future, our water problems will only get worse in the coming decades. There will be times of plenty in the meanwhile, but the times of scarcity will outweigh it.

My future plans include growing foods hydroponically using old aquarium water. This will prevent all those gallons of water from going down the drain. It will also provide fresh organic foods that I grow myself.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Our water restrictions were mainly using extra water, washing cars, hosing pathways/driveways and gardening.

Parts of Australia were far worse no water at all it all had to be tanked in.

Keith:):)