1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice
  1. Nabobmob

Nabobmob New Member

I'm looking at redoing my 75 with a real organized scape and ditching the "cluttered mess appearance. I like the branching driftwood look but I never see anything like that available, where is a good place to look. I have seen some nice root systems from blow downs that scream scape me on my hunting land but its mostly ceder which I understand is Toxic to fish, what would would be recommended? is ALL conifer wood toxic? Other woods available on my land is Ash Basswood, Maple, and some Oak.

2. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Go to Aquatic Plant Central

in the for sale thread there is a post called
    Manzanita Driftwood.

Jake (fishandturtlejunkie) collects and high pressure washes it and boxes them up and ships them out for a very nice price. His price is based on tank size and he picks ULTRA NICE pieces.
    Everyone that ever got it loves it.

Here is the thread
    Manzanita driftwood - For Sale or Trade - Aquatic Plant Central

Jake is a GREAT guy and he happens to be a fellow AAPE member.
    He will work with you to get exactly what you are looking for.

3. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

He hooks it up for sure!

4. ReefJones

ReefJones New Member

I have purchased some from him. Tell him what you are looking for and he will deliver exactly that. I wasn't even specific and he brought some nice wood at a great price!
    Reef

5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Manzanita Driftwood how long does it take for this stuff to sink?

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

It took about 1 week for me to sink thin 2-3 inch branches. The stumps take some time, but will sink after a short period. In this picture below you can see a large rock holding down the driftwood.

[​IMG]

-John N.

7. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

I have heard reports of people putting larger pieced in the dish washer to get them to sink.

You have to do it with no soap of course, oh the high heat setting and you probably have to run the dish washer a few cycles empty first to get all the soap residue out.

8. zeneo

zeneo New Member

My wife would kill me for that :))

Sounds like a good idea for the bigger woods that you can't boil in a pot.

One trick I use is to tie smaller rocks in the base of the wood and put it together in the tank. they will not look so bad, and after some weeks you can take them off. Just cut the wire, get the rock out and the wood will stay in place.

9. Garhan

Garhan New Member

I have used local wood from my area in Canada. Most of the local wood comes from Mixed Woodland Forests. Therefore I have used pine, and some of the hardwood speices, such as Black Diamond Willow. I have also used wood out of my backyard. We have a Grape Vine that I cut bach heavily every 2-3 years. I use the branches from this bush. I soak all my woods in a rain barrel over the summer months prior to tank placement. It gets frequent water changes every rain fall. I have had zero problems with these woods. Some basic investigation into local bushes and trees would be needed. I have always used Oak from pallets in my pleco tanks. Oak is a great hard wood to work with. I only wish it would grow here as a native speices. Some big oak roots would be nice. Especially from a burned out forest area.

10. mosschops

mosschops New Member

Hi there ive serched all over the net for best diy driftwood technices,problem is they say bake or boil wood.I have a very large piece which ive been putting hot water in my bath tub it will never fit in oven and i have not got a pot big enough or a dishwasher,any tips please fellow aquascapers:confused:

11. mosschops

mosschops New Member

Can i varnish the wood with polyurethane varnish and silcone to glass,as its to big to turn into bog wood will this be safe and in time will it stay fixed in place ie like sunk like bogwood

12. tenshu

tenshu New Member

You don't necessarily need to boil the water, well it's safer and faster to make the driftwook sink. But you can fill a container of water and just throw the wood in it.

You must only keep piece of wood that are still hard after soaking it. And watch carefully for sign of mold, before sink it in your tank.