1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DREAM:: Journal Of A 120G :: Rescaped

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by tirtha1979, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Hi Friends, I am about to start a planted 120G tank. I am putting up this journal, so I can key down all my experiences through the journey and can get your help, encouragement and help through out this project.

I am giving the name of this project 'Dream' as for last one year I was just trying to start this tank but could not do this due to different priorities at home front. Finally this is the time to get started. :proud:

Lets take a quick look at the basic details of this tank.

Size: 50"x24"x24" (It's a 124G custom made tank with 12mm float glass)

Stand: It's sitting on a Iron Stand made with L Angles. It's my own design and again custom made one. Lets take a look at the stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Substrate: Yes.... this is not going to be an ADA tank. I will follow normal year old method of Laterite+Peat and River Sand. I picked up a bag full of Laterite when I went to my native place last year. From the color you can see this is reach with High Iron content. This is a crushed small gravel form of Laterite brick.

[​IMG]

As it is pure laterite, hope it will help me to bringdown the pH little bit. The next part was to add a commertial substrate with the laterite available in India. It's known as 'Soilrite' but not exactly for aquariums. But lots of hobbyiests have tried this with success while growing aquatic plants. Soilrite is a mixture of Canadian Peat Moss, Vermiculite and Solirite. Vermicules are kind of volcanic ash and famous for its very high ECE.

[​IMG]

So my bottom layer is a mixture of Laterite and soilrite. Total thinkness of the bottom layer is arround 1".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I topped it up with 2 types of River Gravels. For the back and Mid ground plants I have used 3-4mm River Gravel where as for the foreground carpet plants am going to use finer river sand of arround 2mm. Below is the River Gravels used in Back and Midground.

[​IMG]

Total substrate thickness at back is arround 5" where as it is just 2.5" at foreground. Used pieces of Thermocol to make the initial slope at the bottom and spread the substrate layers top of it.

Hardscaping: I have used only Rocks for Hardscaping. The tallest one is arround 1.5 feet high where as rest of the rocks are hardly 6" tall. We had a detailed discussion on finalising Hardscape for this tank before in ASW forum itself and will like to thanks members to help me finalizing the Rock setup.

Here We Go,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the lousy condition of the tank glass. Too lazy to clean them up. As of now the tank left for cycling. I will love to avoid the initial algae attack to some extent with a cycled tank. 8)

BOOM Setup: I will be using 2 x 150watt MH for lighting. I have picked up 2 8000K astralux bulb for this tank. The MH are placed 1 feet above of the water surface to avoid extra heating. To fix these MH top of the tank, again I sat with pen and paper to design the stand and came up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the complete stand is splitted into 4 parts and bolted together, so if I want to move the tank later somewhere else, it will take just 5 min to split the stand into bits and pieces.

I am a good boy.... so before my wife kicks me out of my apartment, I painted that ugly iron stand last weekend. :flame:
    [​IMG]

CO2 Setup: I will be using a 4.5KG CO2 Cylinder and a AquaBay CO2 Kit along with Dymax tower type Internal CO2 reactor which will be driven by a Powerhead of 700lph capacity. Later I have a plan to upgrade it to a external reactor may be an Aqua Medic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's gonna hit 3AM Morning here in India. So lets stop for the day. Will come back with the plants list what I have planned for this tank.

Let me know if you liked it. Will be waiting to hear your inputs. :tea:

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

respect for all the custom made stuff :proud:

3. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Agree with you completely.... making own design is always fun and cost effective too.

Here is the plant list, what I have planned for this tank.

Ammannia Senegaleniss
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala Sp. "Nanjenshan
    Rotala Sp'green'
    Rotalla Wallichii
    Tonia Sp Belem
    Ludwigia Inclinata Var. Verticillata
    Ludwigia Ovalis Sp "Red"
    Ludwigia Plaustris
    Ludwigia Sp "Cuba"
    Mayaca Fluviatilis
    Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
    Crypt Petchii
    Crypt Wenditi Bronze
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Tropica'
    Ammannia Senegaleniss
    Eriocaulon Sp.
    Glossostigma Elatinoides
    Limnophila Aromatica
    Utricularia Gaminfolia

4. Gar

Gar New Member

Wow!!! A great job. Congratulations:hail:

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

uff, so many different plants :eek:
    I´m sure you allready have an idea wheere to plant them all? :p come on and share it with us ;)
    Have you done all the parts by your self? was it difficult?

6. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Thanks Gar.

Jur4ik... give me some time. Working with photoshop for the layout plan. Mostly all the stems will go to back. Reds are at corner and Greens will be at outer layer. Crypts, Eriocaulon will take the Mid ground. And will fill up the foreground with Glosso. This time I am mainly focusing on Red plants. But don't know how it will go.... ;;)

7. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Not Really. The design is mine but while making the stands and the MH fittings I took help of a professional guy for the welding Job.

8. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Let There Be Light :)

[​IMG]

Today I have installed and tested My MH. Nice bright white color. Hope Astralux will not disappoint me. Next assignment, installing timers and making own switch control board for the tank.

9. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

WOW, that's bright! need some shades to stare at this one. I love your plant list, can't wait to see how you arrange everything.

10. joyban

joyban New Member

Hi Tirtha,

Iam now following your journal ... ;-)

11. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

I am just waiting to get the plants from Karin,FarEastAquaria. Hope within 7 days I can finish my plantation. ;)

@Sujoy Da, where did you get the link?? Great to see you here.

12. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Update Time. Yesterday afternoon I went out and bought some goodies like, Eheim 2217, Rena Heater, 2 Electronics Timers for the control panel. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. foofooree

foofooree New Member

I love the DIY!

14. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

A good utilization of a lazy Sunday Afternoon. I have made the Switch control board.

[​IMG]

I give 2 inputs to the board. 1 from 15Amp Line another from 5 Amp line. I have connected each timer to different Amp input line. And there are 4 independent switches which are not connected to timers and taking 5 amp input.
    As I have used 5 pin timer, I will get double output. So I made the design like something so when Timer 1 will be on my MH will Glow and when It will be off One spot light will be on. Same for timer 2. When it will be on, My CO2 will start and when it will be off my Air pump will Start running (Just An Example. I am not going to airate the tank at night even.)

15. foofooree

foofooree New Member

That's a great little control board you've made there! I look forward to seeing it put in use :)

16. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I am done with all the engineering. Now will be waiting for the plantation day. o:)

17. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

A long wait and lots of problems, but finally I received my plants today evening. The courier stuck in Singapur Airport for 2 days and when I have received the pack, I found lots of plants started melting and dried out. Lost couple of species like, Ludwigia Ovalis Sp "Red" and Glosso. Some of the stems rotten half. I removed the rotten part as much as I can and did the plantation. And after 6 hours of Hard work this is my tank. :party:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From tomorrow morning I will start the MH for 6Hrs with CO2 @3BPS. Keeping my fingure crossed so the plants start recovering soon.

18. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Love the control board! I need to do something like this.
    Are you going to maintain 3 bps in the long run?
    I have a 120 and still haven't decided what rate of Co2 to inject.
    It may not matter however since my PH controller shuts it off when PH gets lower than 6.4.

19. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Am glad that you liked the Board. :) As of now I will keep the CO2 @3BPS for next 1 month. Lets the plants settle down and start growing, then I will reduce the CO2 slowly at 100BPM. Otherwise there is high probablity of getting algae under such a high light.

20. JAL

JAL New Member

Hey tirtha
    Nice work done, like your DIY. All the engineering work is impressive.
    When plants start filling up the space your tank will look awesome.

Cheers
    Jag