1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dragon's cave

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Nithy, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Nithy

Nithy New Member

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

Dear All,

Started a new 10 gallon scape " Dragon's cave" by gluing dragon rocks with epoxy. Filtration is Eheim internal filter. Used the ocean free plant and shrimp substrate. Plants include Riccardia chamedryfola, Utricularia graminiflora and Eleocharis minima. Scape is now 25 days old. I have DIY baking soda and citric acid mix for CO2. Added some Riccardia and Hemianthus montecarlo. Replanted Utricularia to the left corner.The live stock includes Phantom tetra and Glowlight tetras. The scape is progressing well.

Looking forward for your comments.

Cheers
    Nithy

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nithy
    At the moment I can see mainly large rocks carefully placed at both ends and the back of the tank. I also noticed many small rock chips scattered over the substrate that if not already will be covered with your planting.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Hi and welcome.

No expert, but the biggest issue with CO2 is fluctuating [CO2] from my reading and limited experience, so I personally fail to see how DIY CO2 production and injection can be anything other than fluctuating IMO.
    I constantly read threads about CO2 on the net, the consitant advise is any benefit to your plants from CO2 injection is only achieved when it is stable. Otherwise the tank would be better of without the extra CO2, non injected CO2 tanks do not have CO2 issues.
    After 25 days the plants energy reserves will be getting depleted, unless they are thriving, so keep a close eye on them. Not too much light as that only feeds the algea in the aclimitasation period for the tank.

Some more details would also be helpful like the light,which filter model, photoperiod and any fertilizers being used.
    The plant biomass does look a bit low, which will render the tank more likely to algea issues esp if the CO2 are fluctuating.
    Lights 6hrs max till you see growth.

Hope that's some help.
    Keep us updated

keithgh likes this.
  4. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

He said he was doing citric acid CO2. I did some research on this, and was originally going to go with it. It actually works up a pressure, then whenever the pressure goes down in one bottle, it siphons a bit of citric acid into the baking soda which creates CO2 bringing the CO2 back up. Works far better then yeast CO2.

5. Nithy

Nithy New Member

Hi! Keith,

The scattered rock chips are still not covered by plants, I will rearrange the rock chips to look better.

Cheers,
    Nithy

6. Nithy

Nithy New Member

Hi! Zeus,

The DIY baking soda and citric acid CO2 is pretty stable and the pressure build up is rather very constant and it much more reliable than the yeast method. Rigorous growth of plants can be achieved with no delay. i have already used in a 20 gallon scape . See my earlier post "Nature's glory"

The tank has a EHEIM aquaball internal filter, light - 40 watts CFL, runs on a 6 hour photoperiod and fertilizers I use Seachem Flourish 1ml after weekly water exchange and add 1 m flourish excel to prevent algae attack and promote healthy growth of plants. I am slowly adding plants to increase plant biomass.

Thanks! for your suggestions.

Cheers,
    Nithy

Culprit3 and Zeus like this.
  7. Nithy

Nithy New Member

Hi! Culprit3,

You are absolutely right, this works better than yeast CO2 and is much more reliable and stable. A very cost effective option as well.

Cheers,
    Nithy

8. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

How long was your yeast/citric acid mixture lasting in a 20 gallon?

9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I have three 6Kg CO2 bottles one for 500l tank other for 50l tank the former eats the Bootles for fun but big pH drop 1.0+ off the DC, wear as the later the cylinder main psi hasten droped since getting the tank. One for spare as once the main pressure needle moves on big tank about a week later it would be empty.

In a 20G tank a 6KG CO2 bottle should last a year plus if you was going for a DC lime green easy.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  10. Nithy

Nithy New Member

Hi! Mexicat,

It lasts for about 20 days in a 20 gallon tank.

Cheers,
    Nithy

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Mixicat
    If I were ever to go High Tech that is the way I would certainly follow.

Keith:cat::cat: