1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Don't you wish the aquascape would stop growing?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Oct 9, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

After a hour of cleaning and pruning my aquarium this evening, I'm thinking to myself, "Boy I wish these plants would stop growing!"

Here's an interesting thought, if you had the perfect aquascape, in terms of layout and ideal plant growth, would you want your aquascape to keep on growing?

-John N.

2. bukhov

bukhov New Member

John I very well understand you. Three months ago the hairstyle of plants occupied three-four hours per week from me. It I prepared an aquarium for a photo on competition. Now I have removed one of four fixtures (was 640w - remains 480W), have lifted рН with 6.3 up to 6.8 and at once that plants began to grow more slowly became visible to me. Eat less grow-more slowly. Now the hairstyle occupies hour and a half and now once in two weeks. Fertilizer I give now half of doze. I now see that on plants and on aquascape these my actions practically have not affected. Plants feel well and I waste time on service of an aquarium less. I apologize for my English is not the strongest my side.

3. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

For a while, yes... then it would soon become boring... ;)

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Bukhov, you express my point perfectly. I think more often then not aquascapes which grow slowly are more appealing and appreciated. Less time working on the tank = more time enjoy the tank. :)

But for the impatient (like me), I always want my plants to grow fast and fill the tank quickly. So it ends up being more work then expected (the hidden task with keeping a planted aquarium). Once I get the tank photographed at it's peak is when I get to really appreciate it.

Like Mellonman said, it may become boring if it stopped growing but I think at that point, I want it to stop growing...well, only for a few months. By that time I would probably want to start something fresh.

-John N.

5. bukhov

bukhov New Member

Yes it is the truth that with our hobby you will not become bored. But it fine our hobby.

6. Church

Church New Member

I would rather just put it into slow-motion at that point, rather than pause it all together.

7. dougz

dougz New Member

It's true! LOL

My next aquascape will be with crypts, Java fern, and anubias vsr nana.. :)

8. otagoth

otagoth New Member

I wanted to make ruins being overrun by moss. Wonder how i can achieve that. O.O

9. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

I dont. My taste is always changing. I know with my SA biotope i changed the look several times. I let my PG grow to crazy lengths, got tired of it and trimmed it down. No im having trouble getting it to grow back! lol i want it to grow!

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

at the beginning of a new scape it cant be fast enough for us, but after a while when the scape is finish i would reduce the light and fert dosage to reduce the maintenance regime.

Actually i have an iwagumi and for me the only work i have to do: daily dosage of ferts and 2-3 times per week 50% water change. maybe in a couple of weeks i will need to trim my hairgrass and glosso but once glosso has complete the carpet i will reduce the light and the amount of ferts.

but this is important at the beginning of a scape to ask our self: what do i want?
    do i want to make a rescape every 1/2 year or do i want to keep the scape for the next 2 years?

11. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

I always keep a Slowgrower tank along with my Gast Growing scaping tank. So I can seat for a while to watch something without thinking about any cleaning and prunning. In my 20G anubias tank I have to do only weekly WC and occesional Fert dosing. In other hand in the fast growing tank the story is same like you. But I have one question. After getting the desired scape if we reduce the light and Ferts, don't you think that will also have an adverse effect on fast growers, specially on the stems?

12. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I think the continual growth of the plants is best for the health of the overall environment.
    I would however like for my vals, etc. to keep growing upwards, but stop sending runners... it would be nice to have territorial growth stop, but upward growth continue.