1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Do you having anything under your rock work?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Nubster, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nubster

Nubster New Member

I'm in the process of planning and collecting the stuff I'll need for a new tank I'm setting up after the holidays. It's going to be a 24"x18"x18" rimless and I plan to use a far amount of rock with a couple pretty large centerpiece stones. I'm just wondering if I should maybe put something under at least the biggest rocks to protect the glass. Eggcrate (light diffuser) or styrofoam or something else?

keithgh likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's a good idea. Even a 5mm styrofoam tile would be a good idea to protect the glass base from scratches and worse catastrophic failure.

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nubster

Too many just cannot be bothered doing that its an excellent thing to do. I would prefer a 10mm just to be on the safe side. The Egg crate is also good but if you are using a deep gravel vac a lot of gunk can collect in it. With the Polystyrene keep it back from the glass front and ends as you do not want it seen.

Have you worked out your Aquascape at all?

Keith:cat::cat:

John Whatmough likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

If I'm being totally honest...no...not usually. Just a bit of substrate, then stones. I do not put stones directly on the glass ever though. Substrate does an excellent job of distributing weight.

keithgh, John Whatmough and Culprit3 like this.
  5. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

More often than not stone in a aquascape if large is rarely balanced to suit gravity or the look you want but you can get around this by the wedging ,placing of smaller stone carefully placed to hold in place and the substrate then locks everything in place,seen quite a lot of Amano set ups were his team are setting up the size of rock most of us won’t ever use but the method is useful, and the impact of the smaller stones is minimal on the look. No wonder some of the Amano guys look focused as they handle those stones!

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nubster

I never used the Polystyrene the reason I always had the Under Gravel Filters witch is rather similar the the Egg Crate but a lot finer. Its a personal choice as you have been given excellent information.

Keith:cat::cat: