1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Do you find your fish happier in...?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by John N., Sep 14, 2013.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Do you find your fish happier in a planted aquarium then one with out?

Do notice your fish living longer?

-John N.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry John

I do not speak underwater I assume they are happy they often nibble my hand when I am working on the tank.

I prefer to have a tank for the fish and make it as natural as I can.

Aquascaping is totally different its more about the hard-scape and plants with just a few fish or shrimps

I still have one Clown Loach that I have had for over 23 years now, in saying that I must be doing something right for them.

Keith:):)

3. Williams Favourite

Williams Favourite Aspiring Aquascaper

Smaller fish might need something to hide or shelter in and a water quality that fits the breed. When I was breeding Discus I kept them in clean tanks. Not even gravel in them. I found it easier to keep the quality of the water then. And the Discus was happy making loads of babies:)

4. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

I havent had many fishes after I started with green setups. But characins and smaller fish do seem to be more colorful and healthy in planted setups.

23 years! I would love to see him.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. keithgh

Hamza

At the moment so would I, I am giving the tank a big clean out and he has gone hiding (I hope) I am not going to shift plants and DW to see where he is.

When he comes out I will take an update photo of him he is the last of the remaining 4 large Clown Loaches I originally bought.

greenfinger 2 and hamza like this.
  6. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

Minor bump. Depends on the fish I guess. You could say that planted tanks tend to share some general water parameters; slightly acidic soft water, temp of 23-26 degrees celsius. Fish that do well in these conditions tend to be favoured by planted tankers. Further to this, some fish naturally live in or near underwater vegetation (or over-hanging vegetation) and will be distressed if those conditions aren't replicated in the aquarium. The fish that like these conditions will always look at their best in a planted tank.

The other commonly available community fish that are in the 'I don't particularly mind if I have vegetation, so long as I have somewhere to shelter at times' category seem to look healthier in a planted tank because their colours are brought out by the greens in the tank, and they are really comfortable with the increased shelter. The other reason is that we are OBSESSED about keeping perfectly clean water in this hobby to avoid algae issues. Any suitable fish that lives in a planted tank with weekly 50% water changes (and care in preparing the replacement water for water changes - correct temp/hardness etc.) will thrive in our tanks.

keithgh, John N. and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I think your right Glenn. The extra care and water changes help make the fish look brighter and more colorful. Almost natural in a way.

John

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

I would like to add a healthy tank is essential for happy fish.

Another important factor is all fish must be compatible and if one develops into a bully its out 110%.

9. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

I just bought 7 more gold neon tetras to add to the three I started with. It made me aware that fish are nothing like dogs. My three original had become accustom to me and their surroundings. To anthromorphise, they seemed to enjoy the tank. When I added the seven new fish they instantly became a school and hid in the back; all afraid and all jumpy to every stimuli.

However, when you add a new dog to the pack the original dogs sniff the new dog, then the original dogs carry about with their business. The original dogs don't change their behavior to their surroundings.

Just something I noticed.

Katie

10. keithgh

Katie

It sounds like when I recently added 10 more Threadfin Rainbows the originals still schooled at the front of the tank and all the small (younger) Threadfins hid near the back of the tank now all of a sudden I often see one big school of the Threadfins.

11. KatieK

Keith,

So your Threadfin Rainbows are like dogs? I guess neon tetras are inclined to be nervous. Maybe they're the Chihuahuas of the fish world.

Katie

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Schooling fish tend to be braver in large schools. The axelrodi riesei in my 90p are very shy unless in groups of 20 or more.

13. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

To answer the OPs question, depends upon the fish, I suppose. I have a bad habit of putting apistos into tanks with a full green carpet. They would much rather prefer a sandy bottom with some branches and leaf litter.

However, my dwarf emerald rasboras are right at home in the thick vegetation and have a lot of natural behavior and brilliant coloration.

14. KatieK

ShadowMac,

Really, 20 or more? What was the size of your 90p? Do you think I need more gold tetras? I hadn't really planned on anymore than 10. I have a 30 gal.

Katie