1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Do CRS interbreed with CBS (bee shrimp)?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by BPASCreighton, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

When you have CRS to they produce CBS as offspring? I have often seen photo's of the two kept together in the same tank and wondered how they would not inbreed and produce lower grades. I have a 10 gallon I would like to keep them in. Any advice on keeping them? It looks like yours are doing great!

Sponsored link:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Crystal Reds and Bee shrimp are the same species Caridina sp.

They will interbreed and produce offspring in batches that are typically 50/50. I forget which one is the recessive expressed gene (black or red stripes).

I recommend keeping them in a 20 gallon tank and start with a colony of at least 15. The more the better. Regular water changes of 20% weekly will keep the water clean and healthy for the shrimp. Also add in a sponge filter as they love to nibble on whatever grows on the sponge. Keep a good pH at around 6.8. I use ADA aquasoil to accomplish this. Lastly, feed them Shirakura brand CRS food.

[​IMG]

-John N.

3. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

So...the CRS and CBS are the same species just different color morphs. Were the low grades of both CRS and CBS found in the wild? Also, is an occasional CBS produced from a CRS spawn? But I guess the prior question depends upon the two shrimp breeding. I'm not at all familliar with the genetics, but its very interesting that the spawn is 50/50 when they inbreed.

Do you use any other filtration other than a sponge filter? What temp. do you keep your water? Would CO2 injection be a problem when keeping these shimp with ADA AS II?

4. John N.

Back in 1990s, a shrimp breeder from Japan took normal Bee shrimp and began reproducing them to produce the higher quality black striped Bee Shrimp. At one point he noticed red striped shrimp. He began to selectively breed out the Crystal Red shrimp. Eventually more and more breeders began doing this an finer grades of CRS have appeared. I think the goal is to breed out pure white CRS. I forget what they are called, but they are the most expensive Caridina species out there.

This my 29 gallon CRS tank:

[​IMG]

I use a canister filter to filter the tank in addition to the sponge filters. I believe the extra oxygen and water movement helps keep them happy. Temperature is around 70-72 last time I checked. pH is around 6.8. I use ADA aquasoil, and had pressurized CO2 going on the tank at one time. I removed the CO2 because I realized I didn't need it as I switched to more low maintenance type plants.

-John N.

5. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Awesome! That's a nice tank for just shirmp!!! Its crazy what inbreeding can do :%3. Have you seen the now Salwasi (i'm not sure if thats the right spelling) shrimp? I think those will be the next "CRS". The shirmp breed true in freshwater, and some of the colors are astonishing.

6. epicfish

epicfish New Member

The spelling is Sulawesi. They're very very small shrimp and it seems that they're a bit more sensitive to water conditions than CRS, CBS, RCS, blue tigers...etc.

7. John N.

I've never heard about Sulawesi Shrimp? What are they and what do they look like?

-John N.

8. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Check out Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Crayfish and Aegla. . Ryan Wood is breeding the currently and they will be ready for sale sometime in march. Their SUPER expensive right now. Hopefully the price will go won as more people breed them. I've heard that they require soft and very alkaline water...which I wouldn't really know how to do unless I could just add some NaOH to pure RO water, but that wounds kinda scary:-s.

9. John N.

Wow! Those are very neat looking shrimp! I found some other/same photos of the Sulawesi Shrimp that I'll post here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I doubt they will replace the popular Cherry and Crystal Red Shrimp though. But at $30-40 each right now, the prices are reminiscent of CRS Grade B/Cs back n 2004-05.

-John N.

10. epicfish

epicfish New Member

There's a waiting list now...but they're also a little more picky about water conditions. Only time will tell. :)

11. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Who would have thought, a waiting list for shrimp...:%3.

12. milalic

milalic New Member

They are very neat shrimp. I have had three of the ones in the third picture for the last year. They are kept in tap water. The bad thing is that all of them are the same sex. But, I have found some more and hopefully will make them available to others.

CHeers,
    Pedro

13. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Those are some great look shrimp. Wish i had a few.

14. MasterChief

MasterChief New Member

Hi to all :welcome:
    In Germany there are a few peoples who got the new shrimps from Sulawesi. They need PH with 7.8 - 8.5 and about 27-29°C temperature and are very spoiled about food.
    But with these conditions, it is possible to breed these new species! I know three persons which have youngs.

bye

René

15. landstrykeren

landstrykeren New Member

Nice tank John!

16. Allister

Allister New Member

Do the bee shrimps and CRS interbreed?

what do you get from the shrimplets?

17. starrystarstarr

starrystarstarr New Member

Those are some really nice looking Sulawesi shrimp.

18. redcherryco2

redcherryco2 New Member

John N. Very nice looking tank. So clean and clear. =]]
    Those shrimp (sulawesi) look really nice too. A waiting list? WOW!!! Might look for some at the lfs.

19. ampersand

ampersand New Member

does anyone know which is dominant or recessive?

20. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Yes they do.

I would say randomly, if someone else knows better, then please correct me