1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DIY Tank stand/breeding rack + Sump help

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Section' started by cooledwhip, Jun 18, 2016.

1. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Hey all. Here I have a mini guide about my DIY tank stands and racks.

I also have some questions at the end I would like you to answer, I need some help.

Ok, so I found this tutorial by a person on youtube named Aquarium Co op and these are by far the easiest tank stands to set up and build.

It cost me about $15 total. I bought six cinderblocks, and 3 long planks of wood. That's it. Put them on top of eachother and they hold tanks!! I will post pictures obviously. If you want a nicer one, you can do what I did twice and double it, put a curtain or something around the sides and top and it will make a really nice tank display stand. Here are my pictures: http://imgur.com/a/5X4sr

Also, for my question. On the right side I have a empty space. I set this up because I want to breed some rainbowfish, guppies, swordtails, mollies, endlers, etc. Most livebeareres with some small exceptions like the rainbowfish, maybe GBR's, and for sure shrimp. My dilema is that I don't have space for a bunch of 10 gallons. Now obviously I could make more or make another level but I don't want to. I can fit a whole lot of 10 gallon tanks underneath the stand but I don't really think that gives me enough room. I've uploaded pictures; after seeing them, would you agree? I can reach my net in to net out fish but there isn't much visiability. I'll wait a day and maybe it will change as the water was stirred up.

As for the spot on the right: It's 22 inches long, and 16 inches deep (front to back). What combination of tank(s) could I put there to max out the space? I really want like a 10 gallon for each species/strain. I could just put my guppies all into a giant tub or tank I have but I want to work on strains individually, so I would like a 10 gallon for each strain AND species.

Bottom line:

Would you think it's ok to have lots of the 10 gallons lined up lengthwise?

What tank(s) combinations would you recommend for the space on the right??

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/5X4sr

Actually I might want to make a sump as I have no other power slots left and I can only imagine how much power I am using up for heating and using bubble filters on 10+ tanks.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

A friend of mine made a book shelf exactly the same over 30 years ago.

At least you could have all the blocks with the smooth end showing.

Strength it could hold far more than you could load onto it.
    Having one sump for all those tanks? I will ask you one question, "What happens if you have one problem tank sick fish etc"?

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

The sump will be for in total about 5-8 tanks, each of them 10 gallons. And sumps normally do SINGLE tanks about that size right? I still don't know what to put in that 22 x 16 inch spot. I could fit a single 10 gallon into the space but then I feel its a lot of waste space compared to the other larger tanks. I know they make a 20 gallon "Super tall" that would fit there.

And I agree about the sick fish issue. I guess a sump isn't the way to go?

Could I just buy a really larger air pump and hook up bubble filters to the single large air pump and have bubble filters running on all of them? Would that be enough for filtration?

4. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

A 15 gallon gallon tall would also work. I guess I'll wait for the dollar per gallon deal to buy the tanks.

5. keithgh

cooledwhip

I was going to suggest that or use UGF in all tanks like many LFS use.

I ran a UGF in my tanks and never a problem its just a matter of knowing how to use them.

Some LFS will give you every reason not to use them but will never tell you they don't make any money from after sales.

6. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

So for UGF I could just use a very large air pump, and pump air to all the UGF from the single pump?

Also currently I don't have gravel or sand in any of the tanks. I will go to the store tomorrow though and purchase some substrate for all of them. Would pool filter sand be okay? Or should it be a gravel? I don't feel like going to the pet store and purchasing in from them and pay x5 the price that I can pay for a bag that is 5x as big at a hardware store.

7. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Also I tested some of the water. The pH is around 7.8 (very high i know, but on first fill as well as the tank having lots of rocks I think thats normal)

And I think KH was around 107? Idk It took me 6 drops and on the thing it said that converts to 107.

8. keithgh

cooledwhip

Sand will not work with a UGF the fines will block the UGF completely

Get a good natural river gravel and naturally give it a very good wash.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

A few questions. Have you ever bred fish before?

Many livebearers like swords, mollies, and endlers are easy. However, GBRs are not as easy. The difficulty is in caring for the fry.

I would not put tanks below, since it will be very difficult to change the water and do any maintenance.

I'm going to leave you to the math problem of tanks and space....

7.8 pH is not "very high". Probably about average for tap in the US and since you want to breed fish the desirable values will depend upon the species. Do your research. Check out www.seriouslyfish.com for care and breeding information. I'd recommend choosing fish that work well with your tap water. Without an RO/DI unit it is very difficult to change water values using chemical buffers and additives.

Right now, I'd recommend you slow down a little. You just setup a 45 gallon tank...why not focus there and make sure you can care for it well before investing lots of time, effort, and money into some elaborate breeding setup. Breed some fish in the 45...get your feet wet so to speak before you dive in so deep.

keithgh likes this.
  10. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I have bred lots of fish/shrimp. the 4 common livebearers. I don't PLAN on breeding the GBRs but I want to try to sometime.

Putting tanks below is really all I can do. Even for maintenance there isn't anything I need to do that requires me to have the full tank top exposed. Also, they are 10 gallons and I even tried this: I can pull them out from under easily. They are on the ground and just slide out.

I agree but I just want to make these plans in advance. the dollar per gallon sale is coming up soon...

Also the water is crystal clear in the 45 gallon. I was really surprised. I did a 1/3 water change today and added some more dechlor. The tank is really clear now.

Also I plan on using bubble filters not UGF. And for sand, I purchased HTH pool filter sand today and I checked the label... Is this even safe???

http://imgur.com/qtJVJ9V

11. ShadowMac

Inside the aquarium yes. Breathing in silica dust can lead to lung problems known as silicosis. The warning is basically liability protection. I would avoid breathing in fine particles. Wetting it down and rinsing before pouring it in will prevent this issue. Silicosis requires frequent exposure and is generally related to occupational hazard where there is repeated prolonged exposure to silica dust.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    keithgh likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

You can wear a dust mask for safety if you ate concerned

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

13. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

I will pass on the PFS. Id be much happier and feel safer using play sand. I'll rinse that A LOT though.

And the play sand should be good for sponge filters?

Also where can I get general gravel to use in the aquarium?

I also wanted to know how I would power about 7 sponge filters.

14. keithgh

cooledwhip
    I have bought it at garden suppliers its a fraction of the cost and all you have to do is sieve the fines out and give it a good wash.

Just add another shelf problem solved.

It looks like from day one its go flat out, I fully agree with Shawn.

cooledwhip likes this.
  15. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I haven't worried about the breeding setup at all.

For the aquascape however, should I start dosing ferts? And what kind? I can do the I.E. method, or E.I, sorry.

Or should I use flourish? Thanks.

16. keithgh

cooledwhip

Can you post photos of your Aquascape plus a list of all of your plants/hardscape materials.

17. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Sorry wrong thread. Ill repost that in the other one.