1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DIY fertilizers.

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Section' started by Juliana, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Juliana

Juliana New Member

Need some advice from people who making Makro ferts themselfs. I'm almost newbie in that question. Always used ready mixed fertilisers available in shops. But since I bought another bigger tank, 450 litres, its become a problem. As a concentration is too small, and I need to much for a big tank. Its just become too expensive. Talk to some people, they using some ferts from garden centres, for tomatoes or orhids, but brands they told me are not available in UK. Just wanted to find out what are people here using? And what u thing about these fertilisers? IMG_20160707_134624.jpg

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Juliana

If you start playing around with any DIY get all the information first then even think twice over all it could be a lot safer and cheaper buying the commercial aquarium ferts unless you fully understand what you are doing.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Juliana

Juliana New Member

I know, Keith. Exactly that's what I'm trying to do. In my area Nitrate is already high in a tap water. So commercial NPK ferts are not the best option for me. I'm buying all elements separate. Its a way to expensive. Bottle is 250ml and dose is 10ml/100l.. So, one bottle is a 5 doses for my 500litre tank. I have to find alternative.. :)

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Juliana

Sounds like you are doing every thing correctly first and with the help Shawn has given you will help you to make all the correct decisions.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Nitrates in UK water are rarely high enough in tap water for a full on hi tec setup. You can buy trace only mixes and most of the off the shelf ferts sell themselves on the old school ideas of Nitrates being really bad.

So if you are running a hi tec setup with CO2 addition you will definitely need to add more Nitrates than are legal in British tap water.

I use Lush Max off ebay and that dose daily circa 3ppm N to mine from my fertiliser. So a total of 21ppm per week and my tap water (according to the average readings of the water company) are at 18ppm. I water change approx 40% a week so 5.6 (we'll say 6ppm) added at water change.

Meaning each week I am adding from fertiliser and water change in the region of 27ppm plus water the fish and waste adds.

ShadowMac likes this.