1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Disturbing Hair algae - How to surely iradicate

Discussion in 'Algae' started by severumkid, Mar 23, 2012.

1. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi!

I have a new tank which is 18 days old setup. Tank size is 30x18(h)x24 inches - 50.8 USG. T5HO - 24wattx8. DIY Substrate of cured fine sand, Laterite, leaf litter etc. Tank foot print is 95% covered by plants. All plants are happy healthy and stems at the back ground turning redish with lush growth. So normal scenario. Now, I have a large area covered by Riccia and the Riccia came with hair algae. Now I see that it is increasing.

I dose, dry KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 per day and Seachem flourish 5 ml per week. I change 60% water every week and due to evaporation, I top up another 20 ltrs every week. Previously I was using Tap water but at present, to understand what all is going inside my tank I have started using RO water. Further, I have just started dosing excel from yesterday to kill it. As per the recommended dosage, I had put 25 ml of excel in the tank and after some time I observed 1 small clump that is majorly visible had turned whitish, but Today, I see it once again back to its greenish color. Today I dosed 5 ml as per recommended dose. It's a PITA and I want it gone from my tank ASAP. What is going wrong and what is recommended course of action. I am not very keen on doing a 3-4 day black out.

There is no other algae what so ever in the tank presently.

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Less light, dose daily sort out the co2, you have an ungodly amount of light and algaes are nearly always related to insufficient or unstable co2, this is the reason for your algae problems, I suspect leaf litter could also be to blame but it's not a technique I've ever used so can't comment.

Search google for James c's algae guide and identify the algae and address as prescribed.

3. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

@Garuf...I have a lil doubt

The light is pretty normal for that sized tank(1w/l approx), then why do you describe as too much? And T5HOs arent efficient with their lumens/watt compared to a T5 or T5HE

What do you think is good/optimal amount of lighting for this setup?

4. Garuf

There's no indication of how or if at all he's injecting co2 so I'll treat it as if he is.
    I suspect you could easily cut the light by half, PAR is the only way to measure how much light is going to the plants, lumens has absolutely nothing to do with how much light is of use to the plants, to be honest, I think you could happily and very successfully run the tank with 2xt5, 8 is reefer territory, plants are much more modest when it comes to requirements.

In the UK we tend to go for a conservative amount of light and lots of flow and good co2, I know of very few if any who run as much as light as our asian and american counterparts, Just look at scapes from George Farmer for proof that putting a whole suns worth of light isn't needed even on big tanks.

5. severumkid

Co2 pressurised - 1 big bubble equivalent to 3 small bubbles per second runs 24x7. Sifficuent amount of Co2, I believe.
    Photo period - 6 hours at a stretch.
    Algae is Hair/ Green thread algae.

I think its a common phenomena that a new tank often has hair/thread algae issues and once it settles in the problem goes out? I am not very sure even after all these years, and I believe that you can never be too sure of algae. Between the two of us, as long as it is there it makes me little nervous. [-o<

6. xxBenjamminxx

xxBenjamminxx New Member

I also would believe that the amount of light you have is causing a CO2 deficiency. Id up the co2 little by little till your maxed out by livestock responding negatively or if no livestock is present just try cranking it up for a bit and see. Also to help Id cut back on a the bulbs, maybe go down to like 4 bulb.

For comparison i use 3 t5ho bulbs on a 75g that is few inches deeper then yours and still am considered "high light" as by PAR readings.

Good luck and hope this helps you out some. I had similar problems a while back and did just that. Algae turned a pinkish/red and died off on its own.

7. severumkid

Thanks, Garuf, Hamza and Benjammin.

Hmm so light is an overkill. ok. I was thinking about it at 2 am in the morning just after I got into the bed. I have switches that can control light in particular zones of the tank and so I will be able to switch off the lights on top of the Riccia, That will make it 6 tubes in effect. Now if that does work out, I may go further down to 4 tubes as I can switch off another 2 and still have 2 for my background stema and 2 for my fore ground. Riccia is in the mid ground, where it has access to almost 4 t5hos'. :punched:

But then, I am finicky by nature and want every thing to be perfect all the time. I know that I live in utopia but I like it that way and I like to learn from experienced people. What will be better/wiser to do? Hike up Co2 further or scale down on the lights? :D

8. Garuf

Better to go straight to four, listen to what people are telling you, they're talking from experience. 4 tubes is more than enough and get a drop checker set up, bubbles means nothing, just like lumens.

Aim for 30ppm and you'll be there with co2 keep the light down it is not helping your cause! If you've got algae you've not got enough co2 should always be the initial alarm that goes off.

In response to your final question, BOTH.

9. severumkid

Installed Co2 drop checker yesterday. Solution is nice green in color after 3 hours. Reduced light to 6 as of now. Dosing Excel.

Had 5% algae in the tank when I started this thread, but it was growing before I started dosing Excel. Noted algae was not doing good and had reduced noticeably before I reduced the lighting and put on the DC, believe Excel had played its role well. Will check today evening for latest status on the algae and get back here.

Thanks everyone for the nice tips.

10. Kalan850

Kalan850 New Member

thanks for the the thread. i got some info out of itB-)