1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

disappointed in RCS

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by sepehr, Aug 22, 2010.

1. sepehr

sepehr New Member

Hi,

I just wanted to give you guys my opinion on Red Cherry Shrimps. In my opinion they tend be on the fragile side. Firs of all they don't handle temp. over 25 C all that well (mine is between 25.5 & 26.5). Theyre cleaning of algea is very minimal and theyre also very sensitive to KH parameters. To top it off, due to their small size only neons & harlequins don't pick on them. So from now on I'm just sticking to Amanos. Don't get me wrong, they're pretty little fellows but theyre being very picky as if they were discus fish:thumpdown:

2. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi.
    I must disagree.. I am a succesfull breeder , keeping thousand of RCS and I often abused some of them ( by accident) in every possible way you can imagine.
    Once I found a shrimp in a bucket with plant cuttings, left on my balkony for a week in very low winter temperatures. The srimp was simply thrown back into the aquarium and it survived that shock !
    They also survived in high summer temperatures but not over 30*C

Red cherry's are among the hardiest shrimp species , but they ( like all shrimps) do not tolerate ammonia , copper , low oxygen levels and fish medicine.
    I am suspecting something else is responsible for your losses and I bet on ammonia levels as the most possibile cause.

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Are we really talking about cherry shrimps and not crystal reds?

As Raven says they are incredibly hardy. Prolific breeders and far from being picked off by fish they actually fight my cories for food. they jump in while the corys are snuffling and basically rip algae pellets from the corys mouths!!!

I have more than I could ever count in my tank and I started with just 10. I am talking quite literally hundreds, maybe thousands.

I don't buy shrimp for algae cleaning as I don't have a problem with algae so I can't comment there.

As for temperature, I drop my tank down to 22 bu turning the filter off for 4 days at a time to entice my cories to breed. I then turn it back on and it returns to 26. Not a problem

And hardiness? I do not have anything covering my intake and each month when I clean my filter there are loads in the filter ALIVE!!! They are living in effluent.

I have to concur that if we are indeed talking about cherry shrimps then there must be another problem in your tank. maybe hydra or something similar which pick the shrimps off!!!

I would guess if you are talking about being sensitive to KH parameters that you mean you r parameters are changing? Do you add snything to do this? I have no real idea what KH mine is apart from the water report say my water is Very hard. I am not sure whether the KH parameter changes or not but I wouldn't expect it to.

AC

4. Big Dog

Big Dog New Member

I love my cherry shrimp. My planted tank has never looked so clean.

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Cherry shrimps in my opinion quite hardy. I live in Singapore where everyday is hot. 30 degree C is nothing special, without the help of fan my tank water can go as high as 32 C. They do need to be properly acclimatise when first introduce to new tank

I do agree that fish will eat them, they are small even halequins and neon most like will consider the shrimplet as a snack :))

6. kingrim

kingrim New Member

here in greece i have temp over 30c before i install cooling fans no problem with red cherry

also one day i was cleaning my external filter and i found inside some red cherry i droped them in the main tank and survived

7. Jae

Jae New Member

I have to disagree. I got some cherry shrimps and they cleaned practically ALL the algae off my plants. In a couple of days I was surprised to see how clean my tank was.
    I also have Amanos and they are also very good algae eaters.