1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Dirted aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Rachel Jo, May 23, 2017.

1. Rachel Jo

Rachel Jo Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Keith, I am still gathering materials at the mo, but going for a 1:1 mix of Aquatic compost and Irish Moss peat, next stage is to mock up the hardscape

keithgh and Tim Harrison like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Rachel

Just make sure the Peat Moss is perfectly clean.

I assume you are referring to a Mock up tank made from Cardboard?

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Rachel Jo

Hi Keith, yes, or whatever I can find to hand

4. keithgh

Rachel

Very recently I saw a mock tank made from old Polystyrene boxes, far stronger than cardboard.

5. Rachel Jo

Hi Kieth and everyone else, finally got some time to do the mock up, here is my first attempt. Constructive comments please

[​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Rachel

You have done a very interesting Aquascape. The large rock back RH has a flat cut surface in comparison the the other large rock. If it is not hidden by planting it could spoil your rock display.

The DW is full of character its location that has me confused at the moment it's the feature of your Aquascape

[​IMG]
    This is a very rough Photoshop.
    I moved the back rock out from the corner and placed the DW in the corner. In reality you will have to bury the base of the DW as deep as you can. If the rock is on top of the front rock you can move it towards the front LH corner to create a pathway between the rocks.
    If you try it it's one of those will it or will it not look OK only you can see the over all effect.

7. Rachel Jo

I would have prefered the dw in the corner Keith unfotunately I'm constrained by the power head pick up that stands 3" off the back and 5" from the side in that corner and as the tank will never be viewed from that side I placed the dw to hide some of the hardware and hoping that planting will do the rest

8. keithgh

Rachel

Hiding your inlet with planting is a good idea as it will restrict the intake very much but if its behind that big piece of DW it certainly will restrict the inlet.

As a temporary set up in the mock tank can you remove the DW and place the inlet where you would like to place it please.

9. Rachel Jo

This is what I'm up against Keith, although I can swap it to the other side with a little work

Attached Files:

10. Rachel Jo

2nd attempt, Dw pushed back as far as it will go in that orientation, and more rocks, more room for planting high up

Attached Files:

11. keithgh

Rachel

One of the easiest ways to post a photo is to open a Photobucket account its "Free" and extremely easy to use.

I would leave that inlet in the corner and cut the tube shorter. Moving it to the opposite corner is an option but would be seen unless hidden with tall plants which might not look the best
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. keithgh

Rachel
    This should help you with out much trouble considering its a Mock Tank.
    My suggestion would be to move rock No 1 and the DW just enough to fit the inlet in the corner. As its a Mock Tank you can move No2 easily the ticked rock between 1 & 2 might have to be a little as well.

These moves will not effect the over all Hardscape.

[​IMG]

13. Rachel Jo

If it's used
    I think I may be able to fit the inlet by manipulating the Dw slightly in its present position Keith as there isn't much room to move the rocks to the left

14. keithgh

Rachel

That is great if it can be done by doing it that way.

I was only referring to move No1 a few Cms at the moment as its in a Mock tank.
    There appears to be space at the LH end its difficult to see exactly how much space is there.
    Can we have a full front on photo with a slight looking down (your eyesight level) please.

Keith :cat::cat:

15. Rachel Jo

This is the rough view from eye level when it's on the stand 20170626_140856.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    keithgh likes this.
  16. keithgh

Rachel

I actually prefer that hardscape and you can fit your inlet into the corner now. You have plenty of open space for plants as well.

If necessary you can tilt the DW to the left a little this "might" give your hardscape another interest.

Once the tank has aged and fully planted it will look totally different. Backing unless you are intending to do back lighting effects you could consider using a black Vinyl sheeting as used for book covers.

17. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Cool scape Rachel. I was talking to Shawn Mac earlier and he told me to stop making my scapes seem like a Japanese stone structure. He told me that Mr. Amano placed his stone and rock in a form that he could expect to see along the banks of the amazon. Often times, the stone and wood is not the focal point... it is the accentuation of the lesser obvious things. For example, many of Amano's scapes are all complementary to the open space that he creates... this is how the scape looks lost natural. I don't know what your goals are.... but don't be afraid to try a less manicured look... it is something that requires patience and a vision... which is what I am trying to figure out for my next scape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. keithgh

Shane

Only experience teaches you how to carefully locate and place your hardscape to make it look natural.
    Rachel is a beginner learning and progressing slowly and doing a great job working with the materials she has not like a Professional Aquascaper who has a huge amount of supplies to work with.

19. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Although some things require practice, I am confident that she can work towards a stunning backbone by observing some videos on ADA view. They will give you good ideas. Any limitations in hard scape can be remedied with a visit to the local landscape supply.

Good luck rachel!

20. Rachel Jo

I am looking ideally at a natural looking tank, ordered chaos rather than the beautiful chaos of the Japanese style. River bedrock follows strata, so the grain in the rocks must be orientated in the same direction and since it is immovable then any plantlife is usually contorted around it, that is my thought with the DW, that it is a long dead tree that took advantage of a crack in the rocks to get a hold.
    My lighting for the tank will be the original double LED strip and a 24/7 programmable LED array, and I have black backing for the tank Keith, which I think should look stunning, although im not that confident over plant choice yet given its a deep tank and the lighting is not exactly high tech or strong

keithgh likes this.