1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Diatoms appear!!!!! Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by saraiva.f, Jul 14, 2008.

1. saraiva.f

saraiva.f New Member

Hello staff, set up recently planted aquarium, which has 50 liters real, that have 9 days of activity, since 2 days ago diatoms appear. Does anyone have the "cure"
    Setup:
    eheim- 2213 filter sponge and ceramics
    light- 3x24W 10000k
    co2- pressurised 1bps
    soil- akadama
    plants- Cyperus helferi and Echinodorus tenellus.

p.s. today I have change 25 litters( i'm doing water changes day yes , day no)

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

where do they appear?
    have you changed water in the past 9 days?

3. trenac

trenac New Member

Diatoms come along with a newly setup tank. This algae will go away on its own as your tank matures. In the meantime you can manual remove it & adding a couple of Ottos will help.

4. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Like trenac as already said, diatoms are very common in new set-ups. A school of ottos will take care of it in no time.

5. akmal

akmal New Member

9 days...wow thats fast cycling...from several setup experience i noticed that diatoms appear near the end of the tank cycle or right after cycling...that said, as Roy & trenac mentioned its normal in new setups (or rather mandatory? :D )

if you have done water change recently thats fine, leave it as is right now. No need to change it everyday. On day 14 do a 50% water change, manually remove (syphon using airline tube, brush it off etc) the diatoms as much as you can and add some ottos/yamato shrimps.

6. saraiva.f

saraiva.f New Member

Hey ppl, I usually add fertelizantes made by me in this aquarium. I've added on Friday on 11 so I do not know whether it was or not!

[​IMG]

7. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I've purchased Otos to keep Brown Diatoms from spreading too much. In my past experience with diatoms, they usually go away in less then a month. I also dose fertilizers lightly in the beginning of a setup because diatoms can thrive off of excess nutrients.

For you, I recommend dosing 1x a week and less frequent water changes (do 1 water change per week). When you notice your plants growing better, and less diatoms increase dosage to 2x a week.

-John N.

8. saraiva.f

saraiva.f New Member

i think that the diatoms are gone, someones are incolor so i think they are going away :D

9. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Diatoms comes in new tank due to extra silicate. And they will disappear automatically within 1 to 1.5 months. Keep changing water frequently. And to keep diatoms in control, as Trenac said, you can add Ottos.

10. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

Hi!
    man, relax, with only 9 days, is relative normal the growth of little amount of diatoms. In my opinion, not represents menace and could be consider "benefic" (this algae can desplace some green algaes more agresive).
    Invertebrates and fishes like ottocynclus, eat them...

Continue with the water changes, and stay alert of the vegetal health, the most important indicator of good conditions

Saludos!
    Gmo

11. echofish

echofish New Member

just to add to what everyone else has said. NERITE snails. The best if you ask me. When my tank was young, I had that brown algae all along the botton 2 inches of my tank.(and everywhere else) I put about 8 nerite snails in there and in an amazing...I don't know 1 or 2 hours,they zoomed around it all. Like little crazy vacuum cleaners. And now I would never be without those little guys. They are the best controlers i have ever seen. Atleast in my little tank they have been the best. and of corse the brown is also huge matter of vacuum and water changes but the rest.....nerite...nerite...nerite...they took care of all the stuff on the glass.

12. defdac

defdac New Member

Silicates are always abundant in all tap water so a diatom bloom have nothing to do with silicates.

They usually appear when you get the usual algae-trigger (NH4-spike/oxygen-dip) and have run the tank extremely low on phosphate for an extended period of time.

That also coincides with newly setup tanks that has zero phosphates from starts and have an unstable biological filtration that causes unstable NH4-levels.