1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Diatom Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by EmilyD, Nov 25, 2011.

1. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

If you can post some pics of the plant probs here, I'm sure a senior aquascaper would be able to help you ID your problem..

Sponsored link:

2. EmilyD

EmilyD New Member

Diatom Algae and Plants

:eek:I have and API Master Test Kit. I just tested my water. I did only a 10% water change 3 hours ago. Yesterday I did about 50%. I tested the water a few minutes ago; pH 7.6 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20. I use my well water which usually has safe nitrate levels.
    As you can see in the picture the Diatom Algae is on my plants and the plants are brownish on the bottom. I will try pruning them at the bottoms and replanting them. The tops are quite healthy. My banana plants aren't looking so good. I don't really know what else I've got. Unfortunately I've been forced to focus on the fish rather than aquascaping (which is the whole reason I even got the aquarium!). The Ick appears to be gone. I am waiting for my new heater to get here so that I can raise my temperature. I am interested in making my own filters since it seems that I'll change them a lot. I see that you can buy the cartridges and different media, batting, and so on. What do you think about that?

This is what the tank looks like right now.. I really want this! Argh! Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Files:

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

this is where I ask for a lot of specs:

What type of light? I saw you said a 38 watt, over a 55 gallon? T5's usually come in at 39 watts for 36" tubes. is it a standard regular flourescent bulb? T8 maybe?

What type of filter are you running?

substrate?

Fertilizer? How often? How much?

To me it looks like melt from shock or stress. How long have the plants been in the tank? Some plants can melt while they adjust to new parameters, but come back. Crypts often do this, blyxxa is another. I don't see either of those however.

If you have a 38 watt T8 over a 55 gallon tank, you are running VERY LOW on light. Less than 1 watt per gallon. The WPG rule is an okay general guide to get you in the right area, but really depends upon what type of bulb/light you are using. With good LED's you can get away with around 1 WPG, with T8's you should be looking into the 2 WPG area for lower light levels. T5's 1.5-2 WPG would work with low light plants.

Some of the stems you have would appreciate more light, either another bulb of the standard flourescent (6500 k) or upgrading to a T5 fixture with 2x39w bulbs.

Plant choice and other things will be important. If you do not want to do much with your lighting you should consider using anubias, cryptocoryne, and java ferns as your plants. If you upgrade to the T5's you could grow some less CO2 demanding stems like hornwort, combomba, and some others.

Is pressurized CO2 something you would be interested in?

4. EmilyD

EmilyD New Member

The light bulb says All Aquarium Glass 25W.. the light says 120 Volt 38Watt.. I will get a new bulb. Mine says nothing about T.. I got my new heater and slowly increased the heat. The fish are beyond pleased! My Corys are even coming back to life! I am not interested in CO2 at this point. Just made a career change and have a lot going on. )-:
    I have Veralite under gravel for substrate. I have not fertilized. I've had the tank for about 2 months. The plants perhaps 5 or 6 weeks. I can accept that some won't work for me, but I really do like the ones that are tall in the picture. (That are turning brown)
    Thank You!

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

you have a T8. 25 watts is not enough light over a 55 gallon. You will need to upgrade your light if you want to grow plants. You will also need some fertilizer. Check out seachem flourish and excel once you upgrade your light. Don't over do it though