1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DI vs Tap Water

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by JohnnyB, Nov 24, 2015.

1. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Hello all,

I am not new to fresh water aquariums and have had a 45 gallon set up for almost 3 years now. I found articles and pictures on aquascaping tanks and am now hooked. I purchased a new 30 gallon rimless tank, amazon soil, a C02 tank, bubble counter and filter system. Plan on planting soon and adding fish.

My question is on water. In my current tank, I simply use tap water with and remove the chlorine. Tank is happy, fish are happy, but I don't have live plants in the tank. For the aquascape tank I was thinking of getting DI water from the local fish store and mixing RO Right. Figure it would be better to start with 99% pure water with the DI and then add the beneficial elements back in with the RO Right.

My tap water is on the hard side, ph is around 7. Just not sure if I need to go the DI route or not. I like start with a clean slate and the DI route sounds better. Any thoughts? I will post some pictures of my tank in progress tonight. I have the soil and rocks in place. Spraying it down everyday until I get the plants in two days.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

John

Ph7 perfect, how hard is your water get a full test done first.

If your fish are happy why change.

Keith:):)

3. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Looking to change as I am going live plants and soil compared to plastic plants and rock pebbles. Wasn't sure if the water components need to be more refined with the landscape change. Figure I will just go with DI and RO Right and experiment to see how things go. Want to learn as much as possible with this hobby and try different things.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

John

That does not happen over night I am still learning after 50 years, in fact it never stops.

BIG WARNING learn first long before you start trying something different that come with maturity.

Keith:):)