1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Deep Blue 80G Rimless Riparium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by hydrophyte, Nov 12, 2013.

1. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Moderator Staff Member

Deep Blue 80G Rimless Riparium

I have a new project in the works. I have been pondering another larger riparium setup for a while. I was planning to used a de-rimmed standard 75G filled to about 2/3 full, but then somebody suggested a shallow frag tank as a nice option for this kind of setup.

Deep Blue Professional manufactures both a 60G and an 80G frag tank on the same footprint as a standard 120 (24" X 48"). These tank would be perfect for open-top riparium setups, with lots of room for plants and fish. Here's the link to the 80G product page on their site...

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/rimless.html

I had hardly heard of Deep Blue before. I guess they market primarily to reef hobbyists. We are working on ordering the tank. I hope that we can get one built without the filter box.

For an idea of the scale of a tank like this, here's an picture of the 120 that I made a long time ago.

[​IMG]

As you can see that one was only about 40% full of water. We had some Mexican livebearers in it.

I have a few ideas for plant & fish themes for this new project. My current favorite notion is for an India or Myanmar river with loaches, barbs and danios. I have also wondered about doing a South America setup. A real broad sandy bottom would look really cool with a big shoal of cories.

There are lots of plants that could look good with a tank like this. Some of the riparium plants that grow a bit larger to 36" or so would proportion nicely with a four foot tank. I probably won't try to make an authentic plant biotope, but instead just use nice, robust plants that look good together. I recently got a bunch of new cat palm (Chamaedorea catraractarum) plants and they would be good riparium background foliage for this project. Here is a shot of my 50G from a couple of years ago when I had it planted with cat palm and other tropical stuff.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading. I'll try to have some updates pretty soon.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

hydrophyte

If that water was a bid dirty I would think I was up a river in Tropical Australia its so realistic.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi hydrophyte, OMG,, Just Stunning ,Simply Stunning :rolleyes: I have fallen in love With this :cool::cool: Update soon please:)

4. kisanjong

kisanjong New Member

Beautifully done :)