1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DeadWood

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by stevo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

any news? :D come on.

Sponsored link:

2. stevo

stevo Aspiring Aquascaper

Believe me, I'm unpatiently waiting to start the project... :waiting:
    I have managed to take care of the background, what will be fully black, I prefer that color, and will fit perfectly for my vision. :)
    Hopefully I can start washing the substrate on Tuesday after work, will continue on Wednesday, in my opinion, that will be a hell of a work, but had to do it.
    Thursday will be a day off for me, perfect opportunity to set it up. ;)

and now I go back to learn for my exam... :Blah:

3. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

washing the substrate is a hell job :D but the really hell job is if satan in female person standing behind you while you re cleaning the bathroom... believe me, i know what i m speaking about :))
    what s your vision with the black background?

cheers

4. stevo

I hope my girlfriend will help me again (washing the substrate), like she did before, but who knows... :D I have to do the washing up many times in the future, no doubt. :D

With the whole scape, I would like to set up a dark feeling, in the underwater area there will be a lot of floating plants, so there will be shadow parts, and the black color helps me with it.
    By the way the black background and the green plants will have pretty nice contrast with each other. If you stand in front of the tank, the emersed plants will blow up into your face, and will grow out of the tank, or at least, I hope... ;)

That's the vision, my plan, and my dream. :daydream: I hope everyone can understand what I have written above, but I hope you can see it soon. :eyeroll:

5. stevo

Well, finally. I have managed to take some "life" in the tank. :rock: On Thursday I have done everything, washed the tank, substrate, positioned the woods, anubias etc, and broke my extra-spare tank glass, hell yeah!

The end is far away, and the layout will change a lot, but it's a good start imo. Here is a quick photo not much after the first fillup.

[​IMG]
    DeadWood #2 by xtevo, on Flickr

6. gamma

gamma Guest

Hey Stevo!

Looking great!:rock:

You can easily remove the roots with the plants, when filling in the other plants.
    Which ones are you heading for?

When you use limnobium laevigatum as floating plant, be carefull: In my tank it looks like "war of the worlds" when I do not remove it. :D

And will you also add some rocks?

btw: Congrats to your girl friend, she must really love you, since she's supporting you, anyway. :D

cheers
    Eva

7. stevo

Hi Eva,
    Well it would be a good idea removing the roots, but we have taken it in the substrate deep. So it will ruin the scape. I admit it will be a hell of a job to maintain the tank, but I take the risk. :)

I will add some floating plants like lemna minor / salvinia natans / limnobium laevigatum to avoid the algae, and because I like them. In the future I will also add bolbitis heudelotti and hydro sp. japan in the tank.

As I said before it is just the beginning of the journey, I promise to keep you updated often, of course with photos. ;)

To be honest I have infected her with my hobby, recently she is reading a lot about it, and she likes it! She is pretty and she can cook, who needs more? 8)

8. gamma

gamma Guest

Hey Stevo!

Don't go for lemna minor, it's hell to get rid of it afterwards....X-(
    You already know, that hydrocotyle sp. japan / tripartita is extremly invasive?

OT:
    So you will buy a tank only for her?
    OT #2:
    You need somebody who makes the ironing...

cheers
    to you and your girl friend!
    Eva

9. stevo

Hi Eva,
    I know lemna minor duplicates the area quickly, I will keep it under control, or at least I hope, I just want some floating plants with little leaves.

A hydro sp. japan field would be absolutely awesome! :D I f I had one... :daydream: To be honest, without pressurize co2 it will be a tough thing, with only easy carbo... :S

The funny part is, that my girlfriend has won a facebook competition, and the prize was an Eheim Aquastyle 24!! Damn, lucky girl... :D So she had a tank at her parents' house, and this big tank is at my place. :)
    Next week we will buy some otocinclus affinis and boraras brigittae for her tank. ;)
    Ironing? Hmm, good question, she makes it. But I don't like shirts, so she doesn't have a lot to do... :p

10. stevo

Here is the full plant list:
    - Anubias barteri var. barteri
    - Anubias barteri var. nana
    - Ceratopteris Thalictroides
    - Najas Guadalupensis
    - Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas'
    - Staurogyne Repens
    - Lemna Minor
    - Limnobium Laevigatum
    - Microsorum Pteropus var. Windelov
    - Bolbitis Heudelotti
    - Blyxa Japonica

Some of them are only for test, whether they like my "food" or not. Time will tell. ;)
    New photos will be published this week hopefully, it depends on that I can borrow a better camera, or not...

11. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

looks like a lot of stuff is going in there ;)
    Since Amano workshop in Denmark I squeeze my tanks fully with plants right from the start, this makes them look like finished just after a couple of months and just 2 trimmings :)) by the way, it helps to avoid algae in the initial stage of the tank

12. stevo

Indeed, I have read a lot related to low-tech planted tanks. Basic rule 1/1 for starting phase, to have a lot of plants, avoiding the algae. That's why I have taken lemna minor, limnobium Laevigatum and a lot of stems in it.
    The most questionable plants are: blyxa, windelow and najas. Blyxa because of soften water, microsorum and najas are not fitting in my plans at the moment.

By the way, if anyone watch an ADA Setup video, they are taking a LOT of plants from the beginning also. ;)

13. stevo

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

good job my friend :proud:

15. stevo

Thank You. ;) I will change the right side in the near future, you will see. :)

16. stevo

Not much changed since last week. That's why I have taken only one photo (from above): ;)

[​IMG]
    DeadWood #2 by xtevo, on Flickr

17. stevo

18. stevo

19. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

you lowered the water lvl, don't you?

hope some plants will grow out the water ;)

20. stevo

Yes! ;) Of course with a good reason. I would like to grow out the aquatic plants from the water, and will plant semi-aquatic plants in the near future.
    I have already bought a humidifier, what makes my thing a bit easier, I hope. It looks awesome with that fogger :rock:

My biggest enemy is time at the moment, a bit difficult to find some time for it. University, work, family issues...