1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

DeadWood

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by stevo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. stevo

stevo Aspiring Aquascaper

Finally, i have decided to start a journal of my first (serious) attempt at planted tanks. I'm from Hungary, please do not make jokes about being hungry, thx! :-p
    At first i will going to write down the facts of the aquarium, after that I'm going to introduce myself in a few words. Hopefully i will update my journal often.

Any feedback/comment/opinion are welcomed.
    (I hope my English, is not bad as my aquarium, lol... :D)

Aquarium/Tank
    80*35*50cm (WxDxH) - 140 liters

Lighting
    Dymax PL 2 - 2*55 watt
    Osram Dulux L 55w/865 (6500K),

Filtration
    Filter: Tetratec EX1200
    Filter media: Tetratec Bioball, Ceramic rings, rough sponge + wool (soon to be changed)

Heating
    Jäger 150w

Cooling
    House Climate - in case

Substrate
    Coming soon

Hardscape
    Coming soon

Flora/Plants
    Coming soon

Fauna/Livestock
    Coming soon

Fertilization
    Coming soon

Small introduction:
    Well, I'm 25 years old university student, from Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. That's the biggest city in my country at about 1 million people live there, and I live in the outskirts of the city. I have aquarium ages ago, but my passion and motivation were gone, that's why my parents sold it. Not to make them another headache... Last autumn, a friend of mine gave an old, dirty, ugly tank to me, and that was the beginning of something... I have spend a lot on this, and my girlfriend freaks out, if I say "Honey, I have seen something cool" She knows...

Sponsored link:

2. stevo

So, I got the technical background to make something remarkable (at least for myself, huge expectations ;)) I won't use co2 system, only fluid carbon, thats a bit far from me (or my wallet).

The decoration, the substrate, the fertilizers and plants make me a very big headache... The only problem is, that my lighting hood is only 55cm long, so I have about 25 cm "dark" area, where I have to figure it out, what to plant...
    If I use 55W for 140 liters, that is 0,39 W/l, if 2*55W then 0,78 W/l.

I have seen recently an amazing tank, from Pascal Bonetti, he ranked 3rd at 2010 AGA contest, and also made a good result at ASW. Link for the tank: here
    [​IMG]

I don't want to and won't steal and copy the whole tank in 1:1. I just want to use this wonderful idea.

My possible plantlist looks as follows:
    Hygrophila Polysperma (back and sides)
    Hygrophila Difformis (center)
    Hygrophila Polysperma 'Rosanervig' (in focal points)

The "dream" would be difformis in the whole tank, but I think it won't be nice...
    What do You think, will it work in low tech conditions? Or can you suggest me other easy plants, what can grow nicely with fluid carbon and low light/medium light.

(I have just found Bolbitis Heudelotti, but I thought it is a difficult plant, am I wrong?!)

3. stevo

I have made a crappy picture with my phone, and had some fun playing with contrast and brightness :D , but thats for now. I will borrow my girlfriend's camera. ;)
    [​IMG]

4. Rodney

Rodney New Member

Hey Stevo,

I love the idea you are using for your tank. I am a big fan of Hygro (especially polysperma). Best of luck in your scape and keep us updated!

5. nicolai vandhul

nicolai vandhul New Member

Hey Stevo.

I´m looking forward to see your version of a hygrophila scape.
    I did also consider using difformis, but I´m not sure about that plant in low tech?

My polysperma scape "Hygrophila pond" is doing well with easy carbo and all-in-one fertilizers. The plants is actually turning redish in the top part, so it makes some more colours than only green.

Well, I wish you the best of luck, whit the aquarium.

Best regards Nicolai.

6. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

with the 3 kind of hygrophilla for your plants, i think it will work to you as plan just dont forget to ferts it from time to time.

if you intend to use difformis only, your tank might look like the image that inspired you.

good luck:Happy:

7. stevo

Thanks mate!
    Do you have some in your tank? If yes, what fertilizers/substrate do you use? :p

8. stevo

Thanks! ;) To be honest, I'm in love with that setup. :D But I like polysperma also, tough decision...
    The only question is. Will difformis look the same without proper co2 addition?! Or will it be a complete disaster...

9. stevo

Thanks bro! I'm excited about my scape very much, but I don't want to ruin my expectations, that's why I don't make quick decisions...
    Difformis... yes... I have talked a lot of people about that plant, different opinions, living in low-tech conditions...
    I have got some Easy Life Carbo & Profito, maybe it worth a try, but as I said, I want to use proper, serious fertilizers, like Tropica Plant Nutrition+

Really? Polysperma will be red at upper parts? Thats cool! :rock: Would be nice to see a photo of it. ;)

10. Rodney

Rodney New Member

[​IMG]

Here is some in a 10gal. of mine. I don't know about everyone else, but mine shifts between this lighter pink and a really deep hot pink.

Excel each day
    Iron every 4
    Flourish every 6
    DIY CO2
    Its not planted in the substrate, tied along a piece of driftwood. Growing up the side.

11. Ed Villagracia

when i was just starting with this hobby, i used those plants without c02 and fertz for 4 months. all nutrients were provided by substrate...but co2 and fertz will make a big difference for your plants health condition.

12. stevo

Thanks for the photo and fert info. I appreciate it! ;) By the way, I think this is the Hygrophila Polysperma 'Rosanervig'. Here You can check it: link

13. stevo

Sounds cool! I have checked them at ASW Plantpedia, both are easy or very easy plants, that's why I want to use them, and I hope I can make a lovely layout with them.

I'm wondering about the substrate. These options according to my wallet :p almost at the same price.

Options:
    JBL Aquabasis Plus 5l
    JBL Manado 25l

Tropica Plant Substrate 5l
    JBL Manado 25l

Aquatic Nature Pro Soil 16l

The Manado price is the best, period. I have to take substrate under it. The color is not my favorite, but after some time, I won't see it. A lot of little pieces, not the strongest.
    The Pro Soil, got a very nice color like ada amazonia, it is very good for the plants, doesn't require substrate. The only problem is the package and price.
    :-?

14. Ed Villagracia

hi stevo.....this is my very first tank - 85gallons on its 2nd month without co2 and fertz. as a newbie really have no idea that time.

hope you don't mind posting my photo. just to show the plants you intend to use. sorry for the blurred image. very very old photo.
    [​IMG]

i have also hygrophilla corymbosa dwarf. the good thing with this plant when you trim it will give side shoots and become more dense. easy plants also.
    here's photo from net.
    [​IMG]

in the phils very very seldom that a hobbyist use imported substrate from outside sources. we normally use our own black river sand.

15. stevo

Thanks mr_ED! For showing me that picture, I really appreciate any help/suggestion or advice.
    That plant is also nice, I'm open minded, if I can get in love with another plants I can change my mind :p Next chapter is to buy substrate, filter media, fertilizers.
    Lucky You, here in Europe, especially in Hungary have to order almost everything... :S

16. stevo

I haven't updated this thread because of real life issues, the project is delayed. We had to rearrange the furnitures in my apartment, and there were some renovating, now I'm forced to watch the empty tank for a while, in a new place...

There is also a good thing, that I have some extra free room for another aquarium stand, where will be nano tanks, I hope soon (Inspired by Juri ;)).
    At the moment I'm focusing on buying some new furniture, and after that I can finally start this tank.

Till I can start this project, I'm planning it, as I did before, but I have decided not to stick to Hygrophila plants, so if anybody can tell me some easy plants, what can live, grow and nice without co2, I would be delighted.
    Comments, advices are more than welcome. ;)

17. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Cheers Stevo,
    Why not going to Viktors "little NA gallery" and taking some inspiration there?
    Hungary is on the top of my Holiday wish list for next year :))

18. stevo

I have been there, but I will visit them soon, I hope. ;) It depends on my work/university stuff. It takes me about 2-2,5 hours to get there. :D Indeed, they are true artists! Their low-tech nanos are the best example for me. :)
    If You come to Hungary drop me a message, You would be my guest for a beer, or two. ;)

19. stevo

If everything goes smoothly, I will buy my new bookshelves this week. Any guess? Of course the EXPEDIT from ikea. :D (2x4 not the 2x2).
    That's a lot of place for nano cubes. :rock: In the future, maybe. ;)

I will take a look in the red moor "market" saturday hopefully, to get some nice pieces for this setup. I got inspired by Tom Barr's journal. I will keep the basic idea, with the woods and emers plants. So I'm open minded, for any advices related to plant selection.

I have already bought a mistifier / fog maker. That's a monster... really powerful. A friend used it in his 100x50x100 terrarium, so it will be enough :D

Comments are more than welcome. :proud:

20. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

the expedit connection... no comment :)). it works well with this metal angle for secure. my first tank is running. looking forward to see the first pictures of your expedit filled with cute nanos ;).