1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Danios Eat Shrimp

Discussion in 'Fish' started by J Art, Apr 21, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

FYI for anyone looking into Zebra or Long Finned Danios for their scape that want to also have shrimp, they'll likely eat them up. I had to move them out and into another aquarium. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

My general rule of thumb is if they can fit it in their mouth they are going to eat it. With some fish, once they get a taste they hunt down the shrimp. If they never really get a taste they don't. I've had rams eat shrimp fairly relentlessly in the past. This group doesn't really. This group is also very well fed.

That is why I stopped keeping expensive shrimp unless it was a shrimp only tank. Those shrimp were cheap from what I know ;) In an open scape it is also more likely they'll get nibbled on because there is little to no place to hide. In a tank with more dense plantings and hardscape you can keep some shrimp with less friendly fish. I stock heavy on the shrimp and put in some that breed like ...well shrimp. That way anyone eaten isn't really missed all too much. Amano's are large and the danios would leave them alone. They are safer with many fish.

J Art likes this.
  4. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Good resource, Keith. I was actually considering an Indian Glass Fish back in the beginning. It was one of the first fish I ever kept and I loved the little thing. I may go with some neons for this aquascape though. I've never actually kept them because sources always say how poorly breed they are...but maybe it's time to give them a whirl.

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cardinals

I believe "they" are now breeding Cardinal Tetras the same now. I know of an importer who preferred to import them very small and he had a great survival rate doing it that was his reasoning was they adjusted better and faster as he looked after them far better than the breeders did.

Keith:cat::cat: