1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KatieK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi ShadowMac,

I figured out the problem, but it's too embarrassing to say. We were both right; it wasn't empty, but there was a leak. I fixed it by flipping the CO2 tubing around.

However, I still can't get the drop checker to get any lighter than dark green. I have it running pretty high right now.

Katie

Sponsored link:

2. KatieK

Hi Garuf,

I can easily start taking out more water; I was instructed my multiple sources to only take out 20%. I clean out the filter every other week. How long should I use activated carbon? And, yes it is CO2 tubing. I mean, that's what I bought; I hope that's what they sent me.

If you're interested, here is a link to the AquaVitro line. I use Premier, Envy, Propel, Synthesis, Activate.

It makes me a little nervous that the dogs have been drinking out of the steam that has BGA in it, but I guess, since they have been drinking out of it for years now and nothing has happened to them, they're going to be ok.

I don't have a problem with the MTS, right now. They serve a purpose, it's just when the population explodes that I'll try to eradicate them.

Thank you,
    Katie

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Can you post a video of your system in action? a simple phone video could help us see what might be going on. What type of diffuser are you using? ceramic glass, atomizer?

4. KatieK

ShadowMac,

I can post a video. What exactly are you looking for, what do I need to shoot? I have an atomizer.

Katie

5. KatieK

ShadowMac,

So I tried to take a video and just upload it here. Apparently you can't do that? So I posted it on YouTube and now am embedding it (yes! I learn something new every day!). Let me know what else I need to capture.

Still, today the drop checker is reading a blue green. I haven't touched it since I took the video.

Katie

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi katie, No video Just says private :(

7. KatieK

Dang it, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I changed the settings; can you see it now or do I have to repost it?

Katie

8. ShadowMac

That is a pretty good rate of CO2. You should see it coming from your canister outlet. I suspect a leak. You should try and find it. I would remove the end from the atomizer and put it into a cup to see if the CO2 is coming out of that end.

It is a good idea to have a check valve at the point the tube connects to the atomizer, otherwise you can get some back siphoning of water into the line.

9. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi katie, :D Don't forget washing up liquid with water fastest way to find a gas leak ;)

10. KatieK

I get the back siphoning now; is that a bad thing, necessarily? I put the CO2 tube in a cup of water and while it isn't as fast as the bubble counter, it's still coming out at a rapid rate.

Katie

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. ShadowMac

if the atomizer was faulty the pressure in the line would build to the point of equalizing with the working pressure and the bubble rate would slow way down and/or completely stop. If gas is going through the atomizer you should be able to see at least a fog (at that rate I would expect bubbles) coming out of the outlet. So CO2 is not going through the ceramic. My suspicion is it is at the connection to the atomizer. If the atomizer housing were cracked you would probably get water leaking when it was off and you got the back siphoning.

12. KatieK

So, it sounds like I should get a new one?

13. ShadowMac

you need to find the leak

14. KatieK

ShadowMac,

I think I found it. I think the top is leaking on the bubble counter. I messed around with it just now. I tried the dish soap and water trick that Roy recommended and that didn't work, but I heard the leak again. Also, if I held the bubble counter really tight, some bubbles appeared in the tank. Though, my drop checker is a beautiful shade of blue.

Katie

15. ShadowMac

you will have to fix the bubble counter. You should check to see if the washer on top is intact. You can order a replacement bubble counter for relatively little <$20. Until you fix the leak the CO2 will leave through the leak and not the tank. That is why your drop checker remains blue.

16. KatieK

ShadowMac,

Good news! I found the leak and was able to fix it. The tank has lots of CO2 now. I'll have to keep my eye on the bubble counter now. Hopefully my algae will start to clear up.

Thank you for all your help.

Katie

ShadowMac likes this.
  17. ShadowMac

best of luck. the BGA isn't directly CO2 related remember. A clean well run tank will keep it away if you have good plant growth and remove it if and when it shows up.

18. KatieK

Maybe not BGA specifically, but this past week hair algae started to grow and I've had a brown diatoms for quite awhile. Hopefully, with the CO2 working again, it will starve out the algae.

Katie