1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Cyanobacteria problem - twice!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Guilherme.David, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Guilherme.David

Guilherme.David New Member

Hi,
    I have a 100 l planted aquarium that already had the cianobacteria algae problem.

I added 250 mg Eritromicine per 100 l of water (without blackout of some days). I think the problem was solved, but now, after some plants added to aquarium and some weeks after, the problem came again.

Now all plants have at least a "layer" of cianobacteria in all parts above the substrate.

My question is:
    1) Do you know any better medication to add to this aquarium to remove that bacteria?
    2) Eritromicine again + blackout of one week would solve the problem?

PS: I´ll anyway disassemble this aquarium because it will be set in another room, but i wouldn´t like to lose the plants. I´d first treat the plants and then move the aquarium.

Thanks for your help!

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I had Cyanobacteria infect my tank for a year. I purchased Mardel Maracyn, dosed it daily (as prescribed on the box's directions) for an entire week with the lights off, and it cleaned my planted tank for good.

[​IMG]
    Cyanobacteria covering everything

[​IMG]
    Best treatment for Cyanobacteria

I performed a waterchange, cleaned the filter, and removed as much as I could before I started treament. After treatment, I cleaned the filter and cleaned the tank again. It hasn't come back since.

-John N.