1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

cyanobacteria - blue green algae (bacteria)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Laurystevens, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

Well I've now got some growing on some plants, mainly the leaves, I'm guessing they're dying off and giving out excess nutrients?

As of last night (when I first noticed it) I've added a lot more flow, taken out the T5's all together and run the Aquarays for only 7 hours. I've also put HR-carbon in to try take out any of the excess nutrients that may be present.

Anything else I can do?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Remove any leaves with the bacteria.

Excess nutrients do not cause algae, so by removing nutrients you will inhibit plant growth and help algae because algae is not nutrient limited. Carbon should remove organics, sometimes that may mean trace elements that are chelated to organic molecules like Fe DTPA or Fe EDTA. Most planted people do not use activated carbon.

I like seachem purigen as an alternative to carbon.

otherwise i think the steps you have taken are appropriate.

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

increase your nitrates, cyano does not like this..

4. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

how can I do that safely and is that agreed apon by other aquascapests too?

5. ShadowMac

nitrates are not harmful in the quantities we use, Tom Barr has dosed in amounts we would never get near without harmful effects (in experiments, I believe; not as a routine)

what dosing routine are you following? if it is EI I would doubt you are low on nutrients.

I think you will just have to clean it out as much as possible, add more CO2 slowly if you have moved on the pressurized setup, and just wait to see what your changes have done. This may be a battle for a couple weeks, but you need to stick to your "battle plan" because if you shift on lighting or other parameters too quickly you do not allow your plants to adjust and allow time for the algae to die off you will give it new chances to grow.

6. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I'm only dosing Excel at twice normal dose at the moment. No EI and now pressurized Co2

I also have Diatoms :eyeroll: I think that big water change I was encouraged to do has actually started to re-clycle my aquarium?

7. ShadowMac

i answered your water and cycling question.

After adding CO2 your things will need time to adjust. give it some time. diatoms shouldn't stick around.

With added CO2 a good fertilizing routine is important. Now that you have the oil in the car(CO2) you may need a full gas tank (ferts). Are you dosing any ferts? Flourish line? that may be lean for a CO2 enriched tank.

Don't get discouraged, you sound like me when I first started :D

8. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

Sorry I meant No Co2 :( Only Excel

9. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

if you are injecting co2 now you really need to get a fert regime going...

10. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I had just posted that I'm not dosing Co2 :)

11. niko

niko New Member

The only thing that works agains BGA is Erythromycin. Find out on the internet what's the dosage and change water and dose every day for 3 days.

Works every time. Guranteed.

(Except in extremely rare cases when the BGA are some kind of very persistent strain. It does not react to antibiotics.)

--Nikolay

12. ShadowMac

that would be resistance caused by the improper use of Erythromycin.

For the record I am very against the use of antibiotics, algaecide, etc., to "cure" algae issues. This is much like treating a symptom and not the disease. You can give someone high blood pressure meds to reduce it, but if they do not make lifestyle changes the problem is not truly being addressed. It is the same thing with algae.

I have had BGA before and gotten rid of it, WITHOUT erythromycin. It can show up in one part of my tank and is a good indicator I have something else going on that needs to be addressed. It has NEVER taken over or gotten very far and disappears when the correct adjustments are made.

Reducing light and improving flow in that region should help. A 3 day blackout could be used to starve it out. I think you have already made these changes. Without pressurized Co2, light is the variable you can manipulate.

13. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

Well i was only getting it in certain areas (glass at the bottom whgere the gravel is) and on some plant leaves, once I scrubbed it off and ditched those plants, it went again, haven;t seen it sinc :) Just keeping an eye on the brown algae now and the green spot algae