1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Culprit's 20 Long Scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Well my tank is 75 liter. I'll ask her which size tank she wants, refills will be more often and so probably more money, a 5 lb tank is about $50 a 10 lb is about $80 so only $30 more for twice the size. What regulator would you suggest?

I told her I would go ahead and order everything, only thing i need the thumbs up on is CO2 tank and if she wants inline atomizer or pollen diffuser. Don't think she really liked the micro bubbles.

Is a Ro/DI system a good idea?

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

No, the eheims don't have enough power to create an effective vortex for the given tube diameter. The difference is the design. The first is a knock off of the "violet" DoAqua outflow from ADA the other is a knockoff of the ADA lily pipe outflow. The first is thinner while the second is wider and more bell shaped. Neither will remove surface film. I have purchased a couple things from Jardli and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality for the price. Not as good as ADA but good for what you pay.

Consider stainless steal instead. https://www.amazon.com/surface-skim...12664582&sr=1-6&keywords=glass+inflow+skimmer

You can also get glass versions of the inlet with the skimmer design. You need surface skimming.

The 2215 will be plenty. If you go more you are going to be blowing around substrate in that shallow tank.

I tend to only recommend GLA regulators in the US. The only ones I buy...and I've messed with some cheaper ones. GLA is superior to all.

She better like trimming runners. This will take a fair amount of regular trimming. its doable. Let the monte carlo grow past the sand areas and cut it back so it still overlaps. This way you don't get as much stray soil. You can cut in sections like turf regularly to pull back the overgrown portions. Use a credit card to cut the roots in a straight line or a pair of scissors into the sand and cut along the edge where you want to trim.

10 lbs tank is overkill on a 20. 5 lbs should last 4-6 months likely longer. 10 lbs up to a year.

Heaters are generally unnecessary. I see you live in TN, hardly cold enough there to justify one and most people keep their homes within a reasonable range. I live in ND and don't use a heater on my tanks. See an article on www.seriouslyfish.com called "whadda mean too hot" for more details.

Most people do not need RO/DI. I do not use it. You can check your local water report and get an idea of the hardness or other things in your water. It would have to be extreme like KH >10 and GH >16. Liquid rock.

Culprit3 likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Likely the carpet is not growing densely and lacks light. Regular trimming and high light keeps it compact and encourages a strong root structure. Never had mine float up.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Nigel95 and Culprit3 like this.
  4. Culprit3

So the second one by Jardli will work best of those two? That stainless steel one looks really nice. Do I not need some kind of outlet on the stainless steel to spread flow out? I'll send her pictures of both. She was worried about the lily pipes leaking because there wasn't a barb (I know it won't happen), so she might want these. She did really like the glass though since it was so unobtrusive. So you think the 2215 will be better then the 2213?

For the regulator I know I want single stage with a solenoid. I'll do some looking around.

I'll be doing all the maintnence. I figured I would have to have the monte carlo over the AS at all time so the AS woulnd't drift all over. Using a credit card is a really good idea. I know my 24oz CO2 tank lasts about a month and I didn't want to worry about refilling often. It sounds like a 5lb tank will work well. No heater? I've read that article before... the stocking I'm planning should be fine, the only thing I might be worried about is the green neons but I think they'll be fine. My KH is 5 and GH is 12.

No.... its not growing densely. Its turning brown in spots and getting patchy and pulling up. I have no idea why as all other plants are flourishing and growing like weeds. I did have a pretty bad BBA outbreak but its almost all the way cleared up. Also theres this really rough GHA growing on just the baby tears. Its wierd. I clean as much as I can but its only in that one spot.

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Sounds like its not doing well! Is it your MC or HC, either way its probably not getting enough light or the CO2 isnt stable at the substrate level. You using EI ferts on that tank?

With my extended holiday and no lights for 3weeks my carpet of HC and MC went brown underneath and started pulling up. Carpet was very deep, so pull it all up a few weeks later and replanted some, about 95% I thrown away, doing well ATM spreading and thickening up, will be trimming it this weekend.

6. Culprit3

Nope its not. Its getting better now though, but not very fast. I see new growth but it dies off in patches and underneath is brown and dead. Not that thick either. Hey can you post a pic of the MC? I want to see just how big leaves are in comparison to HC. What do you mean CO2 isn't stable at substrate level? Yes full EI. Like I said other plants flourishing though. Light is Finnex Planted Plus 24/7.

But back to this build. She is waffling about the stand again, she says shes going to look into an idea her son gave her. I wish she would just buy a $80 nice black stand from PetCo it would be a lot easier to work with. But, because of this, she doesn't want me to order anything until we get the stand. Also, she called me and said the large balancing rock on the right looked out of place. I thought so too, so I changed it up. Here's what I came up with.
    P1050595.JPG P1050596.JPG P1050597.JPG

You can kind of see the really good charcter of the feature stone in these pics.

Nigel95 likes this.
  7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Cant because its a mixed carpet of MC and HC its what came when I got the tank.

From my reading and limited experience, the vast majority of problems in high tech tanks with CO2 is fluctuating CO2 levels due to poor implementation and combined with inadequate flow. Some plants suffer more than others and getting adequate flow at the substrate level can be tricky. As the plants being to use the CO2 there may not be enough getting to carpet which will lead to fluctuating CO2 levels

Adding gas to low tech tank? worth a read -esp ceg4048 posts

Culprit3 likes this.
  8. Culprit3

That read is very interesting. I think a lot of my problems are coming from fluctuating CO2 levels as I don't have a regulator or solenoid. That will definitely be my next buy. As it is I turn CO2 on at 11, lights go on at 2. However, its just a lab grade stainless steel needle valve so if I twist it even a few mm it changes the bps by a decent amount. I may also try tilting my output down a bit

9. Culprit3

What do you think of the rescape?

10. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Looks good but if that is the size of the real aquarium tank I think all the stones are to central in the dead center. I would slightly move it towards left or right. Nice details on the stones (y)

Zeus and Culprit3 like this.
  11. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I like it, could do with more substrate either side of rocks for few reasons imo

1. Plants at back will be higher up to start of with, easier triming, will reach higher up quicker, get more light PAR wise. So don't have to wait as long to get the max impact of the plant.

2. Detritus will settle at front of tank, being flushed/ washed down in the flow with gravity.

3. Greater sense of depth if done right.

4. Get more AS in tank, which will better ferts and toxins more

But when planted 6months down lthe rocks won't be the main feature OFC.

No good asking us anyway. Get the Bosses aproval of every stage.

I would be tempted to take Pics print them out and get her to sign the design she likes.

Remind her your limited experience, your not a God.
    Same with plant list, get it approved and signed for your records.

Same with hardware purchases, initial plant. Even a summary of what's expected from them.

Every good plan has to account what is expected from all parties. plan for failure- so brief summary of ALL the pit falls etc. Planning for failure is a must. Your not telling/informing them it will fail.

If it does fail you have it covered, stick in a recovery plan. If it doesn't fail, you look copetent/professional so it's a win win situation, less chance of hard feeling too or potential law suit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Culprit3 likes this.
  12. Culprit3

It is the size of the real tank. I'll be moving it to the left so the feature stone is at the bottom left attention point. Thanks! I love the character on the main rock.

That's all the sand I have lol. When I rescape in tank I will put more substrate in. I will. I'll definitely be starting a folder with all reciepts and getting her approval before each order is definitely a good idea. Lets see... possible failures. Tank breaks, really really bad algea outbreak, a piece of equipment breaks. Recovery plan like what? Like what I do with the equipment?

I'll get her to sign on each order, and which scape she likes. Also the planting. She like the planting a lot because she likes the simple but still nicely planted aspect.