1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Culprit's 20 Long Scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Just finished putting back together #1. Shawn, didn't see your comment until after. See how you like this one, and then if you still like #2 I will build #2 and rework it. Personally I thought #2 had far more promise but everyone was voting for #1. I'll wait to see if people like this one better then #2, or I'll build #2 again. I did change the main rock, I had a better one with lots more character, and changed other stones around a bit.
    P1050483.JPG P1050481.JPG P1050482.JPG

Zeus and Tim Harrison like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

That looks great, and I'm sure your other hardscape will turn out well too especially once planted, but at the end of the day it's just a question of taste. And it's what you like best that's important ;)

3. Culprit3

I like the way this one is balanced, but I like the other ones shadows and more sense of perspective I think. I think #2 needs some work for sure, but I think it can look better. I'll wait for a bit more input before changing it again. Its a good 30 minutes/hour of work to switch!

4. Culprit3

Any suggestions for this scape? I'm waiting for some feedback before tearing this down and rebuilding #2.

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Looks good, but its your or the neighbours final call OFC

6. Culprit3

Which do you like best @Zeus ? I think i might go ahead and ask her, say they're basically the rough draft

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Well they could both look good with the right planting.

But letting the costumer decide makes sense.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

8. Culprit3

I'm about to go ask her which tank she wants, but at the same time I'm going to go ahead and order substrate and light. Light is this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/263276504283?var=562279945458 with a stainless steel stand. Substrate I'm debating whether to go with 10 liters of marsfield controsoil extra fine - 1mm grain size or ADA Aquasoil 9 liters normal type. Which would you guys suggest?

9. Culprit3

She like hardscape #2 best (YAY), and the black substrate instead of brown. I did not get a definitive answer on which carpet plant she wants, I'll get that tuesday. I think she will be going with a plain metal frame stand. Tuesday I'll go over, I'll give her the amount of money I need to order substrate, light, and plants, get final carpet plant, what stand she wants, and she will give me a check so I can order everything. When I get the stuff I'll rescape it with substrate, plant it, and start my DSM.

So, on the agenda I need you guys for is:
    Get hardscape finished and polished
    Figure out planting
    ADA aquasoil or controsoil

Right now, I'm going to go rebuild #2 and mabye make a few add ons - it needs some more height.

10. Culprit3

Here it is rebuilt. I definitely made some major changes, if you guys think it would look better to start back with the original design I will put it back the way it first was. I tried to add more height to it.
    P1050496.JPG P1050497.JPG

11. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

A 20 gallon is about 13 inches high. I think people recommend the highest point to be at 2/3 the height so like 8 2/3. Not really a set rule, but would be a good guideline if you're looking to add height. In regard to which substrate I think the majority prefers ada aquasoil

12. Culprit3

Its as high as that board on the right. 12 inches. So you think its a bit too high?

13. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

#2 is still much better.

Another reason why its better is the dominant stone isn't hiding in the back. This is a common newby mistake. They want to always put the biggest feature in the back.

14. Culprit3

I replicated it as best I could. I gathered lots and lots of rocks for this build, so I have a lot to try and remeber and pick the right stone. Not sure if that stone on top is right or not... but it looks good I think.
    P1050498.JPG P1050499.JPG P1050505.JPG

Tim Harrison likes this.
  15. Culprit3

First, I'm debating between the chihiros RGB and the chihiros A series. I know the A series is brighter, but can be a little on the cool side, and the RGB adds a lot more color to the tank. I think I'm leaning towards the A series but wanted your gWhich should I get ADA aquasoil or Controsoil Extra fine? I'm leaning towards the controsoil because amazonia powder is twice as expensive, and I think the small (~1 mm) grain size will be best for the carpet. Also, do I need the stainless steel stand for the chihiros a series or does it just look good? I'm supposed to tally up what I need and she'll give me money to buy what I need now to start the dry start. What I need for the drystart is: light, substrate, and plants right?

I also need to figure out planting. I don't think my final hardscape will have any major changes, so I can start planning the planting. Shawn you said E. tennelus mixing with hairgrass between the stones, moss on the stones to soften and cover gaps, background of blyxxa, and mix it into a carpet. I think I will be doing monte carlo instead of HC. I do not want to be fighting the HC trying to get it perfect. This is a clients tank that she sees every day, not my tank that I know I'm figuring out. It will also be a lot harder to fix problems when I don't see it every day. So I'll be going with monte carlo. I think a stem like rotala coming down from behind that main rock and tapering down to the carpet might look good.

@keithgh wondering why you haven't chimed in?

I moved the scape so it was centered too as you all can tell.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. Culprit3

I think I might go for the ADA aquasoil just because its been proven so many times. Will monte carlo root OK in plain aquasoil? Alsso, does anyone have any experience with Aquasoil Light? To my understanding it has less nutrients so it doesn't have the big ammonia spike that regular aquasoil has. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it and which you would suggest

17. ShadowMac

I would go for the RGB. Much better color and plenty of light particularly in a shallow tank.

Monte carlo will grow in just about anything as long as it gets some nutrients. Sand if you dose the water column. Aquasoil is preferred for just about anything.

You are correct about the light, it does not leach as much ammonia and is a skimpier on nutrients. If you aren't going to be able to stay on the ammonia via water changes from standard aquasoil you could use carbon filtration for the first couple weeks to compensate or you could go with the light.

Don't center the scape ;) Try to put the feature stone at a golden ratio point. Tilt the frontward stones in such a way they create some shadowing and leave the back stone tilted back so it catches the light and is less shaded.

If you want something low maintenance I would skip the stems. The planting I suggested would need little care in the long run. Blyxxa would have to be thinned and replanted every once in a while but its an easy job. Runners for the E. tennelus ( not the green variety that is way too big) would have to be cut back as to not take over everything. Also easy to do. The other advantage of the planting plan is that it will look good virtually all the time. Stems have period of looking their best and periods between after trimmings where they do not.

Culprit3 likes this.
  18. Culprit3

I'm fine with higher maintnence. She lives right next door, and I'll be getting paid for maintnence. I love the way stems look. It is true that after they are cut they need a few days to look lush again...

So I'll put the large stone more to the left at the bottom left golden ratio point. I get what your saying... Basically create a really good sense of contrast. All the other stones will be tilted so they are shaded, and the large feature stone will stand out. I love that stone, it has amazing character that you just can't catch with a camera. I'll stick with regular aquasoil. Just 50% water changes daily for the first week, then every other day the second, and then twice the third week, then settle down into routine w/c maintnence. I think I'm going to go ferts wise with a lean EI dosing regime.

Plants you think would work well: Blyxxa, E. tennelus mini, dwarf hairgrass, ricardia or fissidens, and monte carlo? You think that in this scape I ddon't want color? I was thinking mabye some kind of light pink/red stem like rotala rotundifolia or even some pearlweed kind of draping over the rocks a bit might look good behind the feature stone to really accent it. Mabye some small stems to provide some variety in between the stones? I feel like it will be the dwarf hairgrass and blyxa mixed between all the stones, then E. tennellus in the back as background? it just seems a little bit... unvaried.

Also, would you suggest the Eheim 2213 (116 gph), 2215 (163 gph), or penn plax cascade 1000(265 gph)? I have the cascade and definitely a lot of flow but I think such a long tank needs a lot of flow. Plants I think benefit from it.

19. ShadowMac

You could throw colored stems in there. Wouldn't be too tough to make it look nice. Under an RGB I'd recommend a couple variants you can pick up through Aquaforest Aquarium. The rotala sunrise is beautiful red and the pink is a more subtle colored stem. Rotala H'ra would be another option. I would consider just one of them for this scape. you could have it poking up behind the blyxxa. then trim down behind the blyxxa as to cover the rough parts after a trim.

You don't need a lot of plant variants. This isn't a big scape. I was thinking blyxxa would serve as a background. If you put it in front of some of those stones it will likely hide them.

Culprit3 likes this.
  20. Culprit3

I like that idea a lot. It would mix with the blyxxa help fill in back there, and accentuate the big stone, and when I trimmed it you wouldn't see the ugly until it grew back in. For some reason I was thinking the blyxxa was short and the E. Tennelus was tall o_O. But that will look good. I like the sunrise the best. I think since it will be mixed witht he blyxxa it won't be too overpowering. So, which of those plants can I dry start? I know I'll be dry starting the monte carlo, and the dwarf hairgrass, and mabye the moss. Not worth it to dry start the rotala, and the blyxxa won't dry start well I don't think. It would be nice if I could dry start the e. tennelus and the dwarf hairgrass together so they grow together nicely. Its a pain to try and plant them in a way that looks natural when underwtaer.

How do you dry start moss? I know you did it very successfully in your most recent build, and was wondering how you did it. I've heard of the yoghurt method but since you have such obvious success its natural to ask you.

I'll be dry starting this tank in my garage. I have two options. One, flood here and do the daily water changes for the first week, and then drain it and move it, or fill it up at her place. I'm also worried about how I'm going to move it to her house full of hardscape and plants. I could dry start it at her house but that would make me nervous because problems can develop so fast in a dsm. Plus, I'd have to go over every day for gas exchange. @Zeus I feel like you would have some ideas on this. I figure I'll put it in the car and drive it over. I think if I get 2 or 3 people each carrying a bottom edge, it should be fine. After all, its not the glass breaking its the silicon giving way or putting stress on the glass the wrong way. In a rimmed tank the bottom glass doesn't even tough the stand. I was thinking mabye I put a board under it now, before I dsm, then I can just lift the board, and when I get to her house just slide off board onto stand?