1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Culprit's 20 Long Scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

So, I'm already starting another tank! And this time, I will have a huge budget compared to what I have been struggling with. I'll give you all some background.

By this time, I would say most of you know about my tank journal "A Rocky Garden". Its been a long time since I started that tank. When I firt started it, my neighbor would come over and look at it when she came over (mabye once a month). And she always liked the fish and the plants. So after I came over to ASW and rescaped my tank, she had her first grandchild (girl). So she would bring her over to look at the fish. However... all my fish were in a plastic tub sitting on the floor. Mrs. Veronica did like looking at the dry started tank, even though there wasn't much to look at. I flooded the tank recently. I think its been about 2 weeks but I would have to check. My plants are doing well and growing in though. So she came over with her grand-daughter and was absolutely WOWED by my tank. I told her I wasn't finished, I still had some finished touches such as finishing the sand and finishing stocking. Long story short, she asked me to make her a tank.

She wants me to put together a presentation on the cost, and a timeline, and she needs to know how big the cabinet will need to be. Her husband will be building it. I also have put into it some of the major types of aquascaping - Iwagumi, Nature, Jungle, Dutch, then Island. She said she really liked the carpet, and also the way the rocks and plants "went together". So I'm going to make a prediction that she probably is going to go the Nature route. Each of the categorys has 4 pictures. I'm going to show those to her, and then ask her what she liked about them. Then I'll sort of mix and match. However, I'm really hoping she will just say, scape it however you want, so I can get in there and play with the hardscape however I see inspiration. If she wants iwagumi... well, I guess I will be buying some rocks!

Here's my cost so far. This is variable though. For instance, if she doesnt want micro bubbles from an inline atomizer then I will go with my diffuser. That would take away $20. If she wants sparsely planted or heavily planted that could be a lot. Canister filter I'm planning on another Penn Plax Cascade 1000. That's what I have, its very sturdy, easy to use, and its also the cheapest. Heater Eheim Jager 100 watt. I'm going to tell her if she wants I can make it far nicer, its just going to cost more money. In that case, inline heater, lily pipes, rimless tank. (Does anyone know how much a rimless tank in the 15-25 gallon range is?) CO2 I'm going the paintball route with a quality regulator and solenoid on it. I will probably 2 so I can just switch them out and not have to worry about getting a refill the day it goes out. Ferts are for EI dosing. 1 lb of K, N, P, and CSM+B. Substrate ADA amazonia. Lighting - right now I'm planning on the Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus. If she wants it cheaper - I can reduce lighting, not get higher light plants, carpet with monte carlo, and use Excell instead of CO2.

Basic Equipment: $440
    Tank - $20
    Canister Filter - $75
    Heater - $30
    Thermometer - $7
    CO2 - $150
    Light - $90
    Ferts - $30
    Substrate - $40
    Fish Food - $15

For extra costs I have this. I'm not sure how much stones would be if I needed to buy them... I was assuming max of $50 is that about right? Same with the driftwood if she wants it it would be that price range? Plants - $25 cheapest if she goes iwagumi or sparsely planted with just a carpet that will buy 5 pots of a carpeting plant. I figure $100 would buy plenty of plants for any.

Extra Equipment:
    Plants - $25 to $100
    Fish - $25 to $100+
    Stones - Free to $50
    Driftwood - $15 - $60

I'm going to talk to her some time this week - figure out what kind of tank she wants, give her a rough range of price, and then once I know what she wants, I can come back and make a detailed budget and timeline. Sound good? Anything I'm missing?

keithgh and lucasgg like this.

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

This is great. Spend ample time designing and perfecting this setup because you could eventually make a business building and (caring?) for aquariums.
    I would just caution you that any problems that arise could be blamed on you and that some people do stupid things with aquariums. Will you be going to be caring for this setup throughout its life? Will you get paid to do this or will you do it for free? I'm really looking forward to seeing some designs for this in the future.

Consider the HYDOR ETH inline heater also.

Your listing looks good I would just recommend you consider water source and future assurance of the setup. eg. someone to care for it, instructions on how to, life expectancy, etc.

Best of luck and keep use updated.

Culprit3 likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

As you found out from your first tank Time and Budget are practically impossible to estimate unless you have had many years of experience. Once you have every thing required in your work area then you should be able to give a rough estimation.

One point you have not calculated is all your school work and that must come first.

Keith:cat::cat:

Zeus likes this.
  4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

School first OFC.
    Great news to Practice the art.
    If you don't want CO2 bubbles consider CO2 DIY reactor, have twin ones on mine- details in journal.
    Light wise the NEW CHIHIROS A-SERIES PLUS AQUATIC AQUARIUM SUPER LED LAMP 30-95W LIGHT 30-90CM

Well worth a look at over the connection one, plus you can get the TC421 or TC420 to control it.
    If unlimited budget why are you thinking paintball cylinder, getting a decent clyinder size just means less refills.
    Dennerle does some nice rimless tanks that may suit.
    Carpets much harder to keep maintain, I would advise against, I would not do a carpet for someone else with my experience. Tim Harrison has mastered the art of carpets over years. We are newbies. At least advise them your limited experience with carpets long term, then if it does go tits up you pre warned them
    Hope that's some help. We already know you will do it your way.
    Zeus

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Autocorrect issue - should say finnex not connection OFC

6. Culprit3

Thanks Lucas! I'm excited about this too... excited to see how much she is willing to spend. I will be caring for this one. Likely all she will be doing is dosing ferts (if she doesn't want to spend the extra to get a ATD), and feeding the fish. I'll probably put the amount of fish food in pill bottles for the first few weeks until she knows how much to feed. She is right next door to me, so I'm going to be making weekly or twice a week visits if needed to do water changes, trim, clean, ect. I'm going to do this one for free. She is going to pay just for what is needed to set it up. I will be paid, however, for maintnence.

That was the inline heater if I went with it that I would probably get.
    I guess I should test her water.

Of course. The great thing is I'm homeschooled so I'm usually done with school by 11 or 12. So then I have all afternoon to do whatever I want.

Doesn't a CO2 reactor you run your output hose through it, and it has a chamber, and you inject CO2 until the pressure is high enough it dissolves? So no bubbles? About how much would that cost?

Definitely will get that chihiros if I get a rimless that is that size. What is the Finnex one? And a TC421 or TC420?

One of the things she liked the most was the carpet. I hope though I can hook her on an island design with heavily planted driftwood/stones and sand all around. I would love to scape that. Just because its too much work? And since I don't see it every day if CO2 malfunctions or algea outbreak I won't know until at most 7 days later? IS that why? That makes sense... I can tell her its my second time with a carpet and it may just not turn out at all.

Tank I would probably buy from glass aqua - something like $270 for a 20 long rimless I believe. They said they would give me a discount and free shipping. Is that a decent price?

Thanks so much for all the support already! This is actually my dream job - building tanks for people. The first one or two I'm going to do for friends/LFS and them just pay the cost of the tank, and then pay for maintnence, then once I have done a few tanks and have some experience I'm going to ask any doctors, dentists, hospital, ect and I will charge them. But if I do the first few tanks for free I gain experience which means I can make betetr scapes quicker, more experience - better plant health/growth/knowledge over all, and I can sort of build a resume so the people I do charge can look at it and know that I can actually do what I'm promising.

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

APS EF2 filter booster £20 and just some course filter media. I used bio balls but no need for them.

We have this amazing thing know called the internet! Google the light and the TC421 and TC420 . Hinderfeld sell the lights the controller I've just read about, folk have them at UKAPS. If you get stuck try a strange thing on the internet called YouTube they have vidioes on stuff like the TC421 and TC420 eBay sell them.
    The Finnex one is the one you mentioned for 90$.

Is the tank a good price dunno, get a few quotes in from different suppliers. Getting a discount is just sales talk trying to make you feel like your getting a good deal. I good deal is when you do get it at the best price including delivery.

Having plans to setup a business in aquascaping is great long term. But just incase mine and Shawn's trans Atlantic mega aquascaping mega store which will be doing scapes in hotels airports and Sydney as well as smaller indepentant sole traders soaks up all the work. Work hard at school/home as you never know what's round the corner. But hang on to your plans anything is possible if you have 'Grit' you will find out what Grit is on Ted Talks.

Zeus;)

Culprit3 likes this.
  8. Culprit3

Oh haha! I thought there was a light called the "Finnex One". haha oops. That TC421 is pretty cool. But, the finnex planted plus 24/7 has a decent remote - you can control each channel individually. If I got the chihiros would I need the TC421?

9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Why do you need a remote it's not a TV. Do you want others to be adjusting the lights via the remote you give them?
    The light is fully functional without the TC421 or TC420 And has 5 power settings no change in colour except when it's off at night then it's black light !

10. Culprit3

No, they really shouldn't be controlling it. Although it does have some cool features like thunderstorm that her grand child might like. The remote works fine for me... I just have it on a timer turn on on max and turn off. I don't think that would work with this light. The finnex planted plus 24/7 just has a power plug - not seperate little plugs for each channel.

I'm planning on telling her I can make the tank look far better if she wants. Rimless tank, lily pipes, inline heater, larger CO2 canister, auto dosing, ect. IF she really wants a carpet I will tell her I can do it but no guarantees. Actually I'll probably go ahead and get a larger CO2 canister. Less work and it will last longer without me worrying about running out. Most people say 10 - 20 lb but thats on 40+ gallon tanks 8-10 bps, I'll probably go 5 lb still trying to keep the cost a bit lower for her. Also smaller as she said she wanted a small cabinet.

11. lucasgg

I'm homeschooled too... What a coincidence... Welcome to the life! Haha.

Any news on aquascape style? I will mention that you can still run a decent carpet without CO2, you just need aquasoil, time, and balanced light. I've used dwarf hairgrass with pretty decent results except when I algae'd the carpet after moving my tank and not setting the light right. No carpet is certainly easier.

Culprit3 likes this.
  12. Culprit3

Lol nice lucas! Not yet. I'm meeting with her tuesday. So of the carpet plants dhg is the easiest?

@Zues do you know the PAR levels on the Chihiros A series? I did some research but couldn't find any definite results.

13. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

14. lucasgg

I can't verify if DHG is the easiest carpet... Might be a hassle without co2 for all I know. Also consider carpeting staurogyne repens is some areas for an interesting complexity, texture and height.

Culprit3 likes this.
  15. Culprit3

Alright. I'm working on getting the stand built. Having a friend of ours build it. He is a carpenter and builds absolutely beautiful cabinets, stairs, and cupboards plus lots of other stuff. So my neighbor will be buying the wood and top, and then he will build it. She'll pay him for the work too.

I'm really hoping I can get her to want DHG instead of Dwarf baby tears. I think lightwise I'm gonna go with the chihiros A-series. I'm wondering if I should get 1 or 2.....
    The problem is, the longest is 60 cm, and the tank is 76 cm. Do you guys think the light spread will be enough? How am I going to suspend it?

I went over and talked with her, and she is set on a carpet (but I forgot to ask her what type!!! ERRRR), and she doesn't like any of the styles except like mine. She said she liked the way the rock and the plants all went together. I think she really likes the plants, but likes the way the rocks... I guess pull it together. So I decided I wanted to try a style I really like. Its a lot like mine, except on one side. Its a hill with the highest point in a back corner, and then it comes down anywhere from 1/4 the tank to 3/4 of the tank. Here's a really really rough draft. I ran out of sand and time today so I'm getting some more sand tomorrow. I'll add some rocks, mabye change one or two, maby make the slope longer, lots of possibilities. I'm not really happy with this one but I this will get you all the general idea of the kind of scape I'm talking about.
    P1050415.JPG
    P1050419.JPG

16. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

New Chihiros A-Series Plus Aquatic Aquarium Super LED Lamp 30-95W Light 30-90cm

A601 Plus:

• Lamp dimension : W590 x D100 x H90mm
    • Luminous Flux: 9600lm.
    • Power consumption: 65W
    • LED: white, 195pcs.
    • For 60~80cm long tank.
    Should fit without and issue, you can always use a TC420 to control the light intensity on a schudule as well having it startup on a lower light for say 15-30mins and have a moonlight period at the end of the day

keithgh likes this.
  17. Culprit3

Oh good so it will fit. I think one should be enough light. So, on the TC420 how will I connect it to the light? The chihiros has one power cord, not 2 different cords one for white one for blue that will screw into the outputs. Will I have to take apart the power cord and find the white and blue channels and then screw them into each outlet? I'm not sure I'm DIY enough for that....

18. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Take apart no power cords, I haven't checked any YouTube clips yet. But had planned to call at Maplin and just pick up the same size connector, then just solder it up. Might even have on in stock. Or once you know the size ordering one online is easy.
    Remember no such word as 'cant' - do or do not ;)

keithgh likes this.
  19. Culprit3

I don't know how to solder. I'm not sure if I need to do this. I think she would be perfectly happy with the light turning on and the light turning off. Mabye eventually i can do it but mabye not right now.

20. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus
    I agree with you 200%. Its a very popular word these days and too often used.

Keith:cat::cat: