1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Crypt. melt

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Jun 23, 2017.

1. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

All of a sudden my crypts are melting, leaves getting mushy. All but the crypt neucens. water parameters are within normal. Filtration changed weekly, 50% water changes bi-weekly. Any thoughts? do they have a dormant period?

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David

Crypt melt is not unusual when newly planted but established plants that is a different matter.
    It will help if we have more detailed information.
    A full water parameters test and how it was done.
    Type of substrate.
    Lighting type and hrs.
    Co2 yes/no if yes more info required.
    Filtration changed weekly can you explain this type of filter and why the weekly change.
    50% water change it would be advisable to do two 35-40 twice a week.
    Fertilisers type, quantities and how often.
    A full tank photo plus a close up of the crypts.
    How long have the Crypts been in the tank.

Sorry if its a long list but somewhere in those questions is a clue to why the Crypts are melting.

Keith:cat::cat:

JSeymour likes this.
  3. David B. Diehl

It's the 75 gal tank you helped me with awhile back, all the parameters are the same. Filtration is the 10 gal sump filter, Pictures are same except moss is everywhere now. Only seems to be effecting the broadleaf crypts. Those are also the only plants effected. 5-26-2017.jpg 5-26-2017.jpg

4. keithgh

David

This little bit of information looks like its the clue to the cause.
    Next question. What moss is it and is it on the leaves of the Crypts? If it is "could" the moss be stopping the nutrients getting into the plant via the leaves?
    Lets hope the roots of the Crypts are not damaged.
    At the moment here is my only suggestion remove all the Crypt leaves about 2cm above the substrate. Get some Seachem Fert tabs and press one tab into the substrate (as per directions). Take a few steps back and wave a magic wand over the tank and wait to see if any new shoots appear.

Also start doing the extra water changes.

What are you doing re ferts?

5. David B. Diehl

Moss is Christmas moss and Java moss. Only on driftwood, free floating moss is pulled out every other day. Ferts are Osomacote Plus placed about 45-60 days ago. Crypts that are melting are also tissue cultures.

6. keithgh

David

I would use the Seachem Fert Tabs now as per direction

Tissue culture is certainly not new its just they are selling them too soon (personal opinion) and not growing them on like they do with the outdoor and indoor garden plants.

How long since you planted them? Melt down once I discovered this little trick and I never had melt down. I would trim off any damaged leaves and roots this would encourage new root growth very quickly and float them, it then exposed them to more light, water movement and possibly warmer water (under the lights0. Only when I saw the new established roots I would plant them either in the substrate or very small terracotta pots to grow them on.

7. David B. Diehl

Tissue cultures are over 1 year old, the same plants that had the algae problem. Melt has stopped with only a few left. Light tubes are getting old and loosing spectrum so have started using all 6 tubes at full time on for 8 hours. Ludwigia was getting stringy but has now filled in with full light. Only problem with tank has been the melt, I think they were crypt wasillii I received by mistake when originally ordered.
    Did find out that the Java moss I have is the original species that is hard to find. Now everyone wants it at the LFS.

8. keithgh

David

If they are the standard T8 or T5 I always replaced them after 1 Years use. I only had twin T8 and the lighting was on for 12hrs.

At least they are established and not new plants.

Could this be because of the extra light? I would still use the Seachem Fert tabs.
    [​IMG]
    Cryptocoryne willisii

Scientific name: Cryptocoryne willisii
    Usual maximum size in aquariums: 7 - 20 cm (2.76 - 7.87 inch)
    Recommended pH range for the species: 6.5 - 7.2
    Recommended temperature: 22 - 27 °C (71.6 - 80.6°F)
    How fast these plants grow: Fast
    Recommended substrate: Fine gravel
    Demands on lighting: Medium
    Is this the Crypt you have?

9. David B. Diehl

They were all supposed to be lucens but half we don't know what they are. Willisii is the closest to color and size, but were light green about 7 cm but grew slow. Plant Factory from whom I bought them was not even sure what they were as stock got partially mixed in warehouse. Lights were T-5s, three on for 5 hours then the other three were on for 5 hours.

10. keithgh

David
    Looks like you will never know the correct name for those plants. With your lighting can you slowly build up to 10-12 hrs a day as soon as you replace the old lights. What were they Aquarium day light or plant light?

11. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

If all your crypts are melting, I would suggest waiting it out and doing water changes. They always grow back under proper light and root conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. keithgh

I think that has been part of the problem lighting, and the roots lacking the correct nourishment.

13. David B. Diehl

Plant light but switching to Fluvol Pro LED lights. Cost about the same as replacing the fluorescents. Crypts have stopped melting with new growth. Since I turned on all 6 lights things are doing better, Ludwiggia Repens now has leaves all the way down. Here's a current picture after trimming about a quart of moss off. June 28 2017.jpg

keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

David

Its good to see that the plants are improving now.

The tank looks rather cloudy is it the photography of your filters require cleaning or replacing?

15. JSeymour

JSeymour New Member

Glad to hear things have returned to normal. While reading through, there was one thing I wanted to point out, lucens is a variety of xwillisii, written as C. xwillisii var lucens. There are two main differences between 'standard' xwillisii and var lucens, lucens tends to be a larger plant once mature and also typically has more red or brown to the leaves. You'll need to wait atleast a few months to make this comparison. If in doubt, call them all xwillisii, you wouldn't be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. keithgh

As I was told many years ago by a very experienced and published author "You cannot argue with a label" in other words just wait and see and even then some plants can only be correctly named when in flower.

17. David B. Diehl

Have already had full growth on both, they're aver a year old. One is about 2" in length, leaves 1/8" wide by 1" long, rounded ends, normal green. The other, the one that melted is about 3" long, leaves 1/2" wide, pointed ends, light green to red leaves. See pictures, both were sold as luce IMG_20170629_175452.jpg IMG_20170629_175515.jpg ns tissue cultures. They said there could be some mutations.

18. keithgh

David

That is as reason you can get as its not uncommon in the plant world.