1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

CRS Benibachi set up disaster.

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Aquadream, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi to all experts.

Two months ago I have started a brand new Denerle 60L nano cube for a CRS tank.

I used only new products in there.

The substrate was new Shirakura, with Benibachi Bee max and Benibachi Mineral powder.

The substrate system was set up according to Benibachi recommendations.

Additional products that I have used were;

Benibachi Black Control, Benibachi Nitrate Remover, Benibachi Amonia Remover all used only with the recommended amounts or a bit less than that. I never over dosed any of them.

I used also a small amount of filter bacteria from Easy Life to speed up the cycling time.

The water was only RO with Mosura GH booster.

Water parameters were;

GH – 5

KH – 0

Cond. – up to 200 uS

TDS – up to 150 ppm

This tank went anaerobic in just two months and the substrate smelled like shit hole.

Can anyone suggest what could possibly have gone wrong in there?

2. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I noticed that no one ever responded to this thread. Can you speak more to what actually happened in the tank? What was the size of your CRS starter colony? Did they all perish? When you say that the tank went anaerobic, what testing are you referencing? Obviously, your parameters are perfect. If the colony still gets wiped out then it's likely do to infection. What about hardscape? I'm assuming this was spot on as your KH was zero. Are you utilizing a sponge filter? If you aren't, you are playing Russian roulette with your inverts as it will be much more difficult to safely supplement beneficial bacteria. I'd also recommend Bt-9 before any of the products you mention.

3. Aquadream

No dead shrimps. only the substrate developed sewage canal disgusting smell in only two months.
    I have BT-9, but it is not higher recommended by breeders to the Bee Max.
    The problem is that no one anywhere tells us exactly how much to use of any substance. It is all about some layers, thin, generous etc. I used less than the recommended amount and it still got smelly.
    What ever.

4. youjettisonme

So no dead inverts, only a horrible smell. Not the worst kind of "disaster" then, just annoying. That's going to be tough for anyone to pinpoint unless they've specifically used the products you're referencing. Are you only keeping/breeding generic CRS or will you also be keeping Taiwans and other more difficult caridinas? If they are only CRS, you really don't need all the extra, pricey additives. As long as you are supplying a steady supply of beneficial bacteria and plenty of aeration then you're fine. I haven't personally used the Shirakura substrate. Have you read about others experiencing similar problems with the smell? What kind of filtration are you using? UGF? HOB? Canister?

5. Aquadream

Some guy on the UKAPS mentioned that with the Bee Max he also ended up with smelly tank.
    I use well oversized canister Eheim 2215. It has 4 Litres of Bio Rio, which for 48Litres of water column should be pretty good.
    I suspect the initial amount of bee max could have been too much, but it was still under the recommended.

I don't take shit from this kind of problems, so I have restarted the tank with ADA Malaya. It is better by far compared to many other substrates. Only that it is a bit too light in colour.

6. youjettisonme

Sure, if you can manage it, and your colony hasn't already taken off, it's no big deal to rescape and start over. No matter your direction though, I can't overemphasize how important it is to supplement that canister with a sponge filter as well. Your colony will end up much more prolific than if you only used a canister.

7. Aquadream

I actully use water fall pipes above the water surface of the tanks. That way the water coming from the canisters is pushing a lot more air than any pump can do, because when the return water hits the water surface the impact produce milions of microscopic air bubbles that are smaller even than what UP atomiser can do. The tanks are constantly full of air bubbles all over tha tanks volume. Look at my Tiny CRS babies video on this forum. You'll see what I'm talking about.

8. youjettisonme

Yep, that'll work. I will check out your vids.