1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Critique, please!

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by Xavier, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

hi Xavier,
    The original iwagumi comes from the zen gardens and the most "classic" iwagumy type (true of false cant be said as even in the zen phylosophy are many different iwagumi specifications) - is called "chanson" or "chancon" I cant remember.. Is made with 3 stones from the same type and 1-2 plant types.

Your main stone is defenetly too big for your tank size, in relation to the main stone are your second and supporting stones too small.

All stone have to be positioned with the golden rule, it means that you have to place the main stone 2/3 to the back and 2/3 to the left or right, the main stone must in the middle of the second and the supporting one.

here you can watch many small iwagumis from the amano iwagumi competition : Aqua Design Amano Co., Ltd (ADA)? Nature Aquarium Training 2008

3. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

Thanks for the input Jur4ik. My attempt here is to create a deeper understanding of the Iwagumi art form - and it seems that everytime I think I understand it, there's another door to go through.

I really would like to make the main rock work in this setup - since I see it as a defining characteristic of the tank. I believe the main focal point of the main stone falls within the 2/3 rule, however the supporting stones do not as you mentioned. I hope to get more input on this while I put more research into the subject.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

5. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

[​IMG]

I got bored when I removed the main stone to clean some minor staghorn off it (figured I'd kill it before it got to be a problem), and decided to go ahead and do my rescape. There are a couple stones in here that aren't part of the scape (mostly out of LOS, they're holding down portions of HC I didn't want to replant).

All suggestions/critiques/etc welcome.

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

The new scape look much nicer. Typically the main rock should be 2/3 oft the tank. 2213 probably too strong for mini S, so either you adjust the flow using valve or change it to 2211 ;)

7. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

Thanks shadow :). I have to say that my selection of rock definitely lends to requiring getting creative to make them work. But I like to think I'm getting better at it.

I actually did all the measurements on the front panel of the tank using a dry erase marker, and one thing I Noticed with a tank this small is that the difference between the center and the 2/3rd marker is incredibly small. My hopes to alleviate that (since the area I'd like to emphasis is about at the 2/3 area) with a stone that size, is to get the plants to overgrow certain areas of the rock so they're covered, to kind of "shrink" the rock so to say. But only time will tell with that theory. One thing is for sure, that each new scape teaches volumes of information.

Yeah I have to use the adjustment valves to make sure they don't blow everything around with the eheim :).