1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

critique needed on my tank.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by aaronnorth, Aug 24, 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Hi all, i need some advice on my tank, what do you think lets it down and what are the good points about it. I am not sure about the riccia on the right, although i feel as though it will look bare if i take it away. Should i perhaps move it more to the left rather than spread it along the back of the tank? I need your advice!
    Thanks, Aaron
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please excuse the gravel, i will sort that 1 day!

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

i have some HC coming and i come uup with this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

still unsure on the riccia

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

take it out and make slope to the back.
    looks a bit messy with ale the guppy fry^^
    i´m not a big fan of riccia as it makes a lot of work.

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

thanks, yeah, the endlers are getting on my nerves, they make the tank lok untidy lol. I am swapping for a shoaling fish (which i have neen saying for the last 2 months!

5. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

First off I can see what you are trying to achieve. The three main rocks are too similar in height and are placed too much on the same line forming a wall. It doesn't have enough depth so sloping from right front to back left will add instant depth. Try many different arrangements with the rocks. It will make or break an aquascape.

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

thanks, the riccia has now gone. I am wondering about the right hand side, do you think i should get a grass type plants to mingle in with the HC like E.Acularis?

7. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

In my opinion, no I wouldn't. I think the focus of the scape is the rock formation and the plants behind it. As such, a field of HC with a sandy river in between (as you've depicted above) would ensure the focus is on that. Perhaps a few downoi on the back right side would do and keep that uniform with the rest scape where you have it in other places.

The plant selection particularly the Hemianthus micranthemoides (baby tears) I feel doesn't belong in the background because it clashes too much with the smoothness of the rocks. I would much prefer if the plant behind the rocks was a center piece mass of Java fern or even Bolbitus, which both have very smooth leaves and pair well with the downoi.

-John N.

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Thanks John, i think the P.Helferi would go well on the right side, i decided against the hairgrass, much easier to addi it than take (you only have to leave 1 piece and it comes back). I will have to update this with a pic, with the MM, it is starting to bush out and overall looking quite smooth.

I am also thinking about getting rid of the windelov fern and replacing that with more downoi too, just to keep my mid ground simple.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Update:
    I have took the windelov fern out and will be using more pogostemon helferi in its place to kee the midground simple, HC is filling in nicely as are the stems, bushing out really well now.
    i have upped the dosing to 10ml daily and there is a remarkable difference!
    Unfortunatley this wont be ready for the AGA competition (deadline is monday 15th :( ) i really hought it would ake it but the CO2 running out while i was away really set it back when i got BBA everywhere :( Maybe next year :)

[​IMG]
    Excuse the mess (it is bloodworm :blush: )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]